Breezy Monday - Part 2 of 5 - Cricket

Superbly captured, not seen a male of this species this year to photograph, well done.

Regards

Tim

Thanks Tim. I've been reflecting on how much I'm not seeing these days compared to what I was finding in the same places several years ago. A bit depressing actually.

Thanks Tim. I've been reflecting on how much I'm not seeing these days compared to what I was finding in the same places several years ago. A bit depressing actually.

You and me both. Not seen a Click beetle, large Weevil, Cinibar moth, Devil's coach horse, and many others for a long, long time. Many of these insects have been very scarce for years now. I can remember taking my now grown up eldest two kids out across the meadows when they were doing insects at school, thinking I'd be able to show them all sorts, didn't find anything compared with the variety when I was there age.

You and me both. Not seen a Click beetle, large Weevil, Cinibar moth, Devil's coach horse, and many others for a long, long time. Many of these insects have been very scarce for years now. I can remember taking my now grown up eldest two kids out across the meadows when they were doing insects at school, thinking I'd be able to show them all sorts, didn't find anything compared with the variety when I was there age.

:(

Cinnibar moths I have never seen then again so many people are trying to destroy ragwort, that is is not a great surprise (my parents even pulled it out of my garden without my permission).
However click beetles I see loads of in the summer and lots of people put photos of them on flickr.
Beetle EF7A3152 stack of 3 by davholla2002, on Flickr

Weevils I see them at times - saying that I think you are right about their being less insects around now days - looking at my neighbours who pave their front and sometimes back gardens as well I am not surprised.
Fortunately stag beetles seem to be holding their own where I live.

Back