Critique "Brenizer" Clio

Name
Nick
Edit My Images
Yes
Tried out another shot using the "Brenizer" method

its 28 shots @ 50mm // 1.8 stitched in photoshop and cropped down to more or less 2x1 ratio. Taken just before sunset so some nice golden light.
Its just my car - nothing special but will be trying some more at this location with a few tasty cars in the future.

Thoughts?

Some nice light in there. Overall works pretty well, though I'm not a fan of the black security gates, they don't seem to go with the rest of the ramshackle buildings. Would probably prefer it framed so those gates weren't so close to the car.

On another topic; I do wish people would stop giving silly names to things. It's just a pano, people were stitching images (of all aperture values) long before Mr Brenizer was a photographer.

Some nice light in there. Overall works pretty well, though I'm not a fan of the black security gates, they don't seem to go with the rest of the ramshackle buildings. Would probably prefer it framed so those gates weren't so close to the car.

On another topic; I do wish people would stop giving silly names to things. It's just a pano, people were stitching images (of all aperture values) long before Mr Brenizer was a photographer.
Cheers for the reply, i only used the name of the method as that's what people know it as :)
It's difficult to frame the photo so the black gates aren't in it, maybe i could try a lower down view using the car to block them out?
One to try next time :)

Dig! But I did't know what a Brenzier was! A Stitched or a Pano will do.:)

I would have thought you would want to see the separation that suited the image, why does the technique used matter?
The technique is in the thread title, so it matters, obviously.
In my opinion the separation doesn't come across enough, doesn't suit the image over and above what would be achieved with a simple wide lens, perhaps its the architectural background with hard edges. I reckon moving much closer to the car would do the trick.
From Wiki "The Brenizer Method is a photographic technique developed by wedding photographer Ryan Brenizer. It allows for the creation of an image exhibiting a shallow depth of field in tandem with a wide angle of view by use of panoramic stitching techniques."

To be honest, although it's a good image, the technique to be really effective needs a bit more going on in the foreground... that will get caught up in the technique, if that makes sense?

I've done a few panormaic stitch photos but all of them have been for landscapes. Never heard of this technique before but I must admit I find very interesting. If I understand it correctly, you basically zoom in and open the aperture up to create a narrow DOF, but then stitch multiple photos together to give a wide angle photo with a narrow DOF?

I've done a few panormaic stitch photos but all of them have been for landscapes. Never heard of this technique before but I must admit I find very interesting. If I understand it correctly, you basically zoom in and open the aperture up to create a narrow DOF, but then stitch multiple photos together to give a wide angle photo with a narrow DOF?

That's more or less exactly what it is :) it works better on portraits of people mind :)

I'm off to a B&B near a woodland with my gf this weekend, so I'm definitely going to make her my test subject and try this out in the woods! From what I've been reading about it over the last few days, you ideally need a 50-85mm f/1.2-1.8 lens for this... I only have a 24-70 f/2.8 and a 120-300 f/2.8 on FF, so I shall see how it goes!

Anyway, not wanting to hijack... I think your clio photo is fantastic and it was a good choice of location. My only comments are that maybe it would have been better to have the car slightly closer to the camera, and to have shot from a couple feet lower down? Still a great shot though.

Carl

I'm off to a B&B near a woodland with my gf this weekend, so I'm definitely going to make her my test subject and try this out in the woods! From what I've been reading about it over the last few days, you ideally need a 50-85mm f/1.2-1.8 lens for this... I only have a 24-70 f/2.8 and a 120-300 f/2.8 on FF, so I shall see how it goes!

Anyway, not wanting to hijack... I think your clio photo is fantastic and it was a good choice of location. My only comments are that maybe it would have been better to have the car slightly closer to the camera, and to have shot from a couple feet lower down? Still a great shot though.

Carl

I agree aqbout the car Carl, i think the distance between the car and background needs to be greater to make the DOF shallower to make it stand out more.
Looking forward to seeing your effort, would you tag me in it so i can have a looksie?

Nick

Looking forward to seeing your effort, would you tag me in it so i can have a looksie?
Nick

yeah sure, if you tell me how to 'tag' someone :p haha. I just started a thread with it in the portrait section if that's any help!

What a quote

Out of context it certainly looks dodgy. ;)

Ha, what makes you think that was out of context? ;) :p lol

Back