Brentwood Photo-Club Demo

Ha ha ! I didn;t have enough time to type in what it was all about-- I took these photos using 'RAW' then showed how I adjusted and sized in 'FastStone Image Viewer ' ( FREE !) then uploaded to Flickr then showed THIS site and showed how to upload here from Flickr-- no member only ME is a member of THIS site -- I was trying to 'recruit' some new members but the trouble is so many are now so old ( even older than ME -- and I'm ancient now) and most are still 'Beginners' and all this Forum Stuff is way over their heads -- I try to help some but they do not even know how to attach a photo to an e-mail to send it to the Club Projected Image Secretary so never enter any comps . Most people I talk to about joining a 'Club' say " Oh they will all be 'Experts' and know everything " but it is NOT TRUE !

Ha ha ! I didn;t have enough time to type in what it was all about-- I took these photos using 'RAW' then showed how I adjusted and sized in 'FastStone Image Viewer ' ( FREE !) then uploaded to Flickr then showed THIS site and showed how to upload here from Flickr

And you put the image on a public website whilst at least one person and probably 2-3 are not happy about it. Great.

Whenever members take photos in the Club it;'s a bit of Fun they get the same reaction -- it's not just me --

Peter, you post them on the internet is my point (and you call them old etc). Those who don't like being photographed will be even less likely to have their image posted on the internet. Anyhow, between you and your club members ...

Fair play to you for trying to encourage them into the online world.
Photography is certainly a lot different now days and if you don't have a Scooby about IT or the internet you will be restricted to celluloid and darkrooms.

I've fleetingly (in my mind) thought about joining a club, I think your pictures have made my mind up ;)

When I joined my first 'Camera Club; that was outside the School one I was 15 -- it was the South Essex Camera Club meeting in Manor Park Library only every fortnight. I never really thought they were all 'Older' than me -- I just thought of them as 'Fellow Photography Enthusiasts'. I joined the British Army in 1955 for three years and there was a an Army Camera Club in Berlin run by an Officer . I won Prizes in the Beginners' Section at SECC in UK and my Mum and Dad went to collect my Prize as I was in Germany. I made some very good friends from the 'Old Fogeys' of 50 years old and they were Fellows of the Royal Photographic Society and their help encouraged ME to join in about 1959 and I got my ARPS in 1970 as well as my ABIPP for Professional Photography -- all learnt by attendance at 'Clubs'
The SECC finally folded in 1959 after 7 years membership -- I joined Barking Photographic Society and rose to become President and was a member for over 30 years. I have a Photo of ME taken at SECC by famous Photographer Kevin McDonnell with his Rolleiflex, multiple electronic flash on Ilford Selochrome Pan film which was processed in Johnson of Hendon's 'Capitol'- I must have been 19 or 20 years old at the time --
Me at SECC by Peter Elgar, on Flickr

Peter, the membership mix of the Brentwood CC looks scarily similar to my own.

Rob

Barry : Yes-- we cannot get any 'Younger members' -- my Wife says Fridays are a bad night as all 'younger people' go out to the Pub after work on a Friday with their mates --- Last Friday we hosted the 6 Club Colour Battle and when I saw the members of the other 5 Clubs who attended not ONE was under 55-60 -- mostly well OVER and only a couple turned up from each Club to take the scores-- most BRENTWOOD Members stayed away !
When I was in my 20's and member of Barking PS in the 1960's there would be a HUGE turnout for the 6 Club Colour Battle needing a larger hall -- I remember when FORD Camera Club hosted it about 350 people packed out the hall. Now all those keen 20-30 year olds are all 70-80 years old ( IF they are still ALIVE !! )

Last edited:
"Wake up that chap back left!" :D
I've never been to a camera club, I guess it's just not the same as being out taking photos but well done on trying to keep them interested.

GRAMPS -- you should TRY one -- it's all FREE for trial visits and all Clubs need new people -- i can give you the 'Link' to the Photographic Alliance of Great Britain with about 1000 Clubs -- find your OWN AREA and click on it and all the Clubs in your are will come up and you can go . When I was doing 'School Photography' in the early 1960's I was sent to Scotland -- they put me up in a 'Dodgy Hotel' in Glasgow with a 'Secret Knock' and Sailors off the Subs would come in with Young Ladies and I never saw them at Breakfast -- BUT I took the PAGB Handbook with me and each night I would go out to a different Camera Club and they all made me very welcome and let me give them a talk on Clubs in England --- it was interesting and I was in my 20's and never thought about the 'young Ladies' with the Sailors ---

http://www.thepagb.org.uk/about/federations/

Hi Peter
I remember those big photo competitions nights at the BPS. I won 2nd prize for a colour portrait which was processed using the conventional method. If you remember there was a new system for colour print processing called Ciba I think but I never tried it.

I formed a club where I now live, France, It had 28 members but none were seriously interested. All they wanted was there camera manuals explained to them and pictures edited for them. After a couple of years I closed it down.
I have recently joined a new club in my village. The girls outnumber the boys and they are all ages, that’s great. Not like the old days at the BPS hardly a girl to be seen. It’s taken me all these years to find out where they were, out with sailors.

I struggle, like many others to load pictures to this sight. Hopefully I will succeed this time. It’s some of your earlier work. That’s me on the left. The other two were short term members.
Small world isn’t it.
Graham.

001.jpg

002.jpg

Graham !! How GREAT to get this message and photos ! I know John Dobbs is the one on the RIGHT -- he made my 'Wedding Suit' for Wife No 2 in 1985 then she went off with the Vice- Chairman of Barking Photo -Soc in 1993 and I did the Divorce myself in Chelmsford Crown Court -- cost me £ 57 Quid ! Now I am on Wife No. 3 -- a Filpina who is 23 years younger then me and 'Loyal' so no worries about her going off with other Blokes -- and we got married in Cebu, Philippines in 1995 and I 'Re-Cycled' my Wedding Suit and at the reception a White Dove we released did a Whoopsy' on it -----( Not a WORD to Wife No. 3 about the recycled Suit ! )
Fathers day 03.jpg

Hi Pete and all. So fascinated to find this on this site. Was amazed to find out an award has been named after dad. Love this picture of him and thank you for sharing it.

James.

Back