Bridal Veil Fall

Name
Matty
Edit My Images
No
I've still got a hell of a backlog of images from the past couple of months. I had a quick look at this shot from a trip to Yosemite in February.
Bridal Veil was the first stop of the day, and the valley was in shade, so it seemed natural to expose for a dark moody image. Whilst it may seem underexposed, I tried to ensure that the subtle lower falls, frozen spray on the rocks, and touch of light on the left hand side gave enough depth to the image to tie it all in.
My concern is the large dark area at the bottom right, though any attempt to lighten it seemed to lose impact overall.
It's been a while since I have shot any waterfalls, so it was good to get thinking about it again. Hopefully it works ok
C&C Welcome

Bridal Veil Fall by Matt White, on Flickr

I think it works Matty.... I like the splash of light on the rocks on right of the waterfall. Also at the base of the main fall on the left there is a rock sticking out over the pool that is under lit by the reflection of the light in the water.... nice! Nice texture in the rocks like the moody feel and the fact you resisted the temptation you recover too much

Really like the subtle shadows and shades of this shot, and the careful exposure of the water and ice. Could be tricky to print without blocking up, but looks really good on screen.
Only crit I'd offer is that the sky looks like it's slightly halo'd at the top of the fall, but that could just be from viewing at this size/in a browser.

I think it works Matty.... I like the splash of light on the rocks on right of the waterfall. Also at the base of the main fall on the left there is a rock sticking out over the pool that is under lit by the reflection of the light in the water.... nice! Nice texture in the rocks like the moody feel and the fact you resisted the temptation you recover too much

Cheers Steve. It's not easy to balance such a dark scene with some highlights. I certainly didn't want to go too heavy on the recovery, because I think the mood would have been lost.
Thanks very much buddy.

Really like the subtle shadows and shades of this shot, and the careful exposure of the water and ice. Could be tricky to print without blocking up, but looks really good on screen.
Only crit I'd offer is that the sky looks like it's slightly halo'd at the top of the fall, but that could just be from viewing at this size/in a browser.

Thank you Toni, I don't think this will be one for printing, but I reckon you'd be right.
The sky does look a little strange perhaps, but I've done no recovery on the highlights at all, it looks fine to me at full size, so it may be some sort of compression issue. Really appreciate your comments.

I like the image, but having been there a few times, I can't reconcile in my head that it's BVF.....I've never seen it look creepy.
You've a halo issue where the top of the falls meets the sky, but I'm sure that's easy to sort.

Back