Bride and groom in the rain

Name
Nick
Edit My Images
No
Didn't get much time for couples photos yesterday during the day so I was determined to get a few more after the wedding breakfast but by then it was raining quite hard so it was a case of making lemonade from the lemons.

Couple of pics of the bride and groom and then one that shows Jeff helping me out to get the first pic.

sept-rain-1.JPG

sept-rain-2.JPG

3. Was raining quite hard so Jeff was moving the brolly in and out between me taking shots.
sept-rain-3.JPG

I love the effect of the rain...looks incredible :)

Nicely lit and a fine idea but its a shame the highlights in her veil are blown, it does draw the eye a bit, I suppose that's the problem with see through materials and good back lighting, I don't think I could have done any better.

First one is a beautiful shot - I bet they love it!

Not so sure about the full length one - the shadows and lit gravel aren't quite doing it for me.

The first one baffles me, I didnt realise the slow shutter speed (in the night) would make the rain look like its going up! I do like them though ! nice shots

I like this, cleaver use of lighting and the conditions and great to see behind the scenes as well.

Cheers for the comments peeps.

- Regards the veil, yup I agree it would be better if it weren't so blown and when it comes to processing the raws (these are just camera JPGs we use on the wedding day) I may try and paint some detail back in from one that I took when the back light didn't go off. Backlight is set high on this sort of shot so its hard to retain the detail in it, in fact one of the reasons I get them to face each other is because otherwise their ears glow bright red which isn't the look you want :)

- Coloured umbrella was an interesting one, it definitely looked better than both the black and the white ones we tried before it so thumbs up for Jeff having that one in his car!

Nice image, Nick, what shutter speeds were you using please.
Dave

1/200th.

Nice work, really like that first one. Too many people would use the weather as an excuse for "not getting the shot" but like a pro you've used it to your advantage.... well done and good for you!

:)

My guess is no more than 250 If it's off camera. :)

Normally you would be correct but one of the advantages of pocket wizards (and some other systems) is that you can shoot at much higher shutter speeds than that, supposedly right up to 1/8000th

That wasn't needed in this case so the shutter speed was only 1/200th. I set it that way partly because I was also using a flash on top of my TT1 unit for the front lighting and I wasn't sure whether that would limit me to on camera sync speed so it was just easier to do it that way.

Thanks again peeps for the comments

The rain looks great.

The only critique I can offer in #1 is that the lighting on them is a little flat. Was the fill done with on camera flash?

Yeah I was trying to limit how much gear was exposed to the rain and also keep it simple by having one flash on top of the TT1 on camera.

TBH though if I did have my other light off camera I probably wouldn't have moved it much anyway as I don't like shadows on their faces for this sort of shot.

Cheers for the critique though!

Great shot and a great couple for braving the weather. Not many couples would even consider it.

TBH I believe that's more down to the photographer than the B&G in most cases .... that's not me blowing my own trumpet either, I am just thinking back to when I was inexperienced and I know I probably wouldn't have gotten this shot as I wouldn't have had the confidence to convince them to go outside.

Great shots, bet the couple love these. Have they ordered a super-large canvas?

Last edited:
Back