Bride portrait, which one?

Name
Ramesh (Ram)
Edit My Images
No
Hello everyone,

I'm not in to skin smoothing or any type of beauty remake (apart from getting rod of embarrassing flaws that the person would rather not have) so just wondering which edit you like with regards to the background and the contrast on the brides face. She is my sister BTW :)

This is just the natural light from the window.

Thanks
Ram

1) Original
FORUM-1.jpg

2) Darker background (some blemish cleanse)
FORUM-2.jpg

Great picture mate, id sooner have the edited one,just because the backgrounds less distracting

Welcome aboard Ram.:wave:

I think I prefer the first version - seeing the room behind her is somehow symbolic of leaving one life and starting another, but that's open to interpretation and I'm probably talking crap anyway.

I hate skin smoothing carried to excess where the subject starts to look like a plastic doll, but what you've done is very restrained, improves the shot and shouldn't give any offence to the subject, which is often a very real danger, however well-intentioned. The skin could take a little more subtle smoothing depending on how your sister feels about it, but she looks great anyway.

maybe you could make the right bit completely dark? for some reason, I like the first one more.

I like both...

#2 lends itself to an alternate crop, all that black space is a little, well, empty and quite distracting, so would be inclined to cut it out, but the slight adjustments you've made in the face are nice and subtle.

I like seeing the room in #1, it rounds out the image.

You could use a dodge & burn technique on her skin which wouldn't end up looking plastic but does take time. Assuming of course you wanted to go further than you have.

I'm a big fan of empty space in images so #2 definitely flicks my switch. I've done a quick edit but just realised you don't have the Edit option ticked so I won't post it but I have linked to it below, I use OnOne Phototools quite extensively and in that they have an action called Creamsickle which I applied, I then added a slight glow which has smoothed the skin but without the plastic look you often get.

**Link removed**

I much prefer the darker background myself and I love the space in the shot too. I'm not too fussed on the skin editing one way or the other and I certainly don't feel it's needed at all. She looks fantastic in both versions and you've captured a huge amount of thought and feeling there.

Hi guys, just popped out to get some sunflower pics.

Thanks very much for the comments, very much appreciated. I'm a big fan of negative space and thought the background wall and plant kept you moving from left to right when I just wanted to hold you on the left side and feel the tension :)

Great picture mate, id sooner have the edited one,just because the backgrounds less distracting

Cheers matey :) I thought that too.

Welcome aboard Ram.:wave:

I think I prefer the first version - seeing the room behind her is somehow symbolic of leaving one life and starting another, but that's open to interpretation and I'm probably talking crap anyway.

I hate skin smoothing carried to excess where the subject starts to look like a plastic doll, but what you've done is very restrained, improves the shot and shouldn't give any offence to the subject, which is often a very real danger, however well-intentioned. The skin could take a little more subtle smoothing depending on how your sister feels about it, but she looks great anyway.

Thank you for the welcome :) Very poetic there, nice way of putting it. How about "she stands in the dark, looking forward to her new life that will fill her life with light" ;) :)

She doesn't want any smoothing, only removal of facial artifacts, and not much of them either. That's ok with me :)

To be honest. I hate skin smoothing or alterations like that. Unless you are doing it specifically to make a cartoonish looking person, there is no need IMHO. Hope that is ok.

maybe you could make the right bit completely dark? for some reason, I like the first one more.

Yeah, I can see some light (blue) back there, I see what you mean. Thanks for commenting.

I love them both although #2 suits my taste more, either way she is very beautiful and you have done a cracking job, gotta love natural light !

Thank you very much :)

I like both...

#2 lends itself to an alternate crop, all that black space is a little, well, empty and quite distracting, so would be inclined to cut it out, but the slight adjustments you've made in the face are nice and subtle.

I like seeing the room in #1, it rounds out the image.

You could use a dodge & burn technique on her skin which wouldn't end up looking plastic but does take time. Assuming of course you wanted to go further than you have.

I have a portrait of this same position which fits your crop idea perfectly. Best of both worlds :) I see your idea about the dodge and burn to get a little more modelling on the face. Thanks!

I'm a big fan of empty space in images so #2 definitely flicks my switch. I've done a quick edit but just realised you don't have the Edit option ticked so I won't post it but I have linked to it below, I use OnOne Phototools quite extensively and in that they have an action called Creamsickle which I applied, I then added a slight glow which has smoothed the skin but without the plastic look you often get.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f273/HackerUK/FORUM-2.jpg

Thanks very much for your efforts. I can see what you are getting to and I'm sure a lot of people will like it, but, it's not for me unfortunately. She doesn't want it either. I really do dislike skin smoothing, no matter how subtle. Sorry.

BTW, I have the Image Editing off as I prefer my photos not to be edited. I hope that is ok?

I prefer 2 for the background

Thanks!

2 for me would be my preferance , but i do like them both very much

Decisions, decisions! Thanks mate, I'm still stuck on which one :LOL:

I'd say half way between 1 and 2!

Hmm, now that is an idea, thanks!

I much prefer the darker background myself and I love the space in the shot too. I'm not too fussed on the skin editing one way or the other and I certainly don't feel it's needed at all. She looks fantastic in both versions and you've captured a huge amount of thought and feeling there.

Well thank you very much, her look has nothing to do with me or the camera. It's all her and the MUA :)

Thanks all for taking the time to look and comment.

number 2 for me, although the first is by no means a bad image!

I like them both and agree on the skin smoothing, not more than in #2

I can't decide which I prefer as I don't really find the background distracting, more a natural shot and a "glimpse" of a special and private moment.

I can also see a kind of blue splodge in the black background in two and also the red veil down the right hand side of her face is a bit odd - I think just a question of playing with the edit for both and then it would be spot on.

Excellent shot and any rate and I'm sure will be much treasured.

Thanks very much for your efforts. I can see what you are getting to and I'm sure a lot of people will like it, but, it's not for me unfortunately. She doesn't want it either. I really do dislike skin smoothing, no matter how subtle. Sorry.

BTW, I have the Image Editing off as I prefer my photos not to be edited. I hope that is ok?

Thanks!

No problem Ramyad, I'll remove the link to the edit.

;thumbs:

number 2 for me, although the first is by no means a bad image!

Thanks. I'm looking to print a canvas of one of them and can't decide on which one :)

I like them both and agree on the skin smoothing, not more than in #2

I can't decide which I prefer as I don't really find the background distracting, more a natural shot and a "glimpse" of a special and private moment.

I can also see a kind of blue splodge in the black background in two and also the red veil down the right hand side of her face is a bit odd - I think just a question of playing with the edit for both and then it would be spot on.

Excellent shot and any rate and I'm sure will be much treasured.

Thanks, just need to decide which one to print on canvas :)

I see what you see, thanks for pointing them out :) A few more hours getting it perfect them I'm ready to go :)

No problem Ramyad, I'll remove the link to the edit.

;thumbs:

Cheers matey, I'm one of those traditionalist's and don't think photos should be messed with in such ways.

I can't remember where I read it but even the mag's are going back to traditional photos with no smoothing. A good thing I think, only if it relieves the pressure on the girls to "be perfect" :)

Back