Bridge Camera

Name
Chris Stone
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi help please have Nikon D300s want second smaller camera good quality, thinking of bridge looking at reports confused should I go for cannon SX50 or is there any thing better any one any thoughts ?

Indoor? Outdoor? Portraits? Kids? Macro? IMO the super zooms are only worth it for outdoor in good light. If you want indoor get a sony nex or similar

I had a D700 but far too big. Went down to a D3100 - lovely little piece of kit, but still bulky in real terms [e.g. when walking around with three kids]. Tried a bridge - great zoom in good light, slow shutter. Tried any number of compacts; shutter lag and slow focus. In the end I bough Panasonic G3 and a 14mm/2.8. SLR speed, lovely fast glass, absolutely tiny even compared to the D3100 and 35mm prime. I'd recommend a similar combo over a compact every time, especially if you're serious enough about your photography that you put up with an SLR just to get the benefits they bring.

G3's are capable and dirt cheap at the moment. The 14mm is going back up in used price but you might pick one up for £120 or less if you look around [try MPB]. Just a thought, and a far more rewarding one than any compact you could mention, especially if focus, shutter and bright apertures are important to you. Plus, you have a system which can take a thousand legacy lenses and a great selection of new fast primes.

I too have a D300s and wanted a smaller go anywhere do anything bridge. The canon felt like a toy so i went with the Fuji XS-1

I sold my Olympus DSLR to buy the Canon SX40, but now wish I hadn't. The bridge is a great camera but it's not one you can stick in your pocket and forget. The images aren't too bad (all but one are from it on my Flickr page), but for action or birds in flight the auto focus is a little slow. The zoom is it's best feature, below are two shots taken just to show a friend at the time.

Can't advise on the other camera recommendations, but make sure a bridge is what you really want ;)

From this
IMG_0393_zps6779d566.jpg

To this
IMG_0394_zps276f32ab.jpg

I'd second going the CSC/Mirrorless route. Lugging my FF stuff around just for a day out or even for holidays became a chore so wanted a smaller set up in addition to the DSLR stuff.

As Dan, I went to M43 with a Panasonic G5. I'm really impressed with it. Importantly I can get the M43 body and three lenses in the same space as a gripped D800 inc 24-70. But it's the performance that's really impressive. Autofocus is lightening quick, low light performance is very good and between 7 and 100mm (14-200mm FF equivalent)you've got highly regarded, fast glass. Also, for me, the DSLR shape of the G5 felt really comfortable in my stupid fat hands. I really loved the look of the smaller Fujis but they were just too small for me.

Mark

I got a Canon Eos M kit for christmas, for the times I don't want to lug one of my dslr's about. With the EF-M adapter I can use any of my existing Canon mount lenses or the M mount lenses I got with the camera. I've got my Tamron 28-300 VC in the bag with the M and while it doesn't give me the best quality shots from the lens it's more than adequate for the everyday shots I'm aiming for. I did use my Canon 24-105 f4L IS on the M last week though and I got some excellent shots from that. I'm planning to get a Canon 24-70 f2.8L II asap so I'll sell my Sigma 24-70 f2.8 HSM and Tamron 28-300 VC and keep the 24-105 in with the M all the time.

What about a high quality compact like the RX100? I'm not convinced a bridge camera is enough of a size difference to make it worth it.

M43 is a great system though - especially with prime lenses like the lovely 20 1.7

I'd have a look at the Nikon P7800. It's got a bigger sensor than most bridge cameras (Fuji X-S1 & Sony RX10 are the exceptions), has an electronic viewfinder and will take your Nikon flashes if required.

I can strongly recommend you look at the Fuji X20 or the Sony RX100. We have both in my family and both deliver great images and both cameras are quick-sharp on shooting.

Back