Bridges - An open thread

Clyst Bridge at Clyst St Mary in Devon.

Built in the 12th Century and rebuilt in the 13th, this is the oldest Devonian bridge still in use today, Until the M5 was completed, it was part of the main route from Devon to London. It was then bypassed with the completion of the A3052/A366 roundabout. Through traffic is now restricted to pedestrians, horses and bicycles...

Clyst Bridge at Clyst St Mary PSZ IMG_0044.JPG

A portal in Allington, Kent

bYOJIlB.jpg

Under a bridge-span in Maidstone - when doves pigeons fly.

Xk6Rp4f.jpg

A fine collection of road works signs on the approach to the Sidmouth Road railway bridge at East Exeter. (A grab shot taken on a Panasonic TZ70 from a moving bus)

Road signs Sidmouth Road Exeter TZ70 P1030856 (6).JPG

Last edited:
Bridges?
Would you accept a culvert under a railway line?

CTbRqbY.jpg

gYaSUsy.jpg

Whilst searching for something I came across these I had forgotten from 12 years ago

Ingleton viaduct

ingleton_viaduct_2010.jpg

I can't remember where this is! Anyone able to help, Yorkshire somewhere possibly.

two_bridges_2010.jpg

and this looks like the same bridge from a different angle.

bridge_2010.jpg

All help appreciated, thanks

Taken with a Pentax k10.

Howard

I can't remember where this is! Anyone able to help, Yorkshire somewhere possibly.

View attachment 352190

and this looks like the same bridge from a different angle.

View attachment 352191

All help appreciated, thanks

Taken with a Pentax k10.

Howard
I've answered my own question with help from Google and digging deep into my memory banks -

it is

Crook of Lune. Road bridge and a disused railway bridge in the front. A lovely spot.

Howard

Does a flyover count as a bridge?

Blisters by Rob Telford, on Flickr

Anchors for remedial post-tensioned cables that were applied to the Hammersmith Flyover in London to help strengthen the structure in 2016.

Exeter's Bridge Street is so called because it runs down from the city centre to the Exe Bridge.

Then they built a new bridge (actually two) as replacements for the medieval bridge and redirected the Exe to run under the new bridges. This allowed them to reclaim quite a lot of land, so they built a new road (called Western Way) from the new bridges to the city centre. The new road had to cross Bridge Street, and the only way to do this was to build a new bridge to carry Bridge Street over Western Way.

Hence, Bridge Street is the road on a bridge that runs down to the bridge! :naughty:

Bridge Street Exeter crossing Western Way A65 DSC00237.JPG

Back