Bright red pixel in all my shots

Name
Richard
Edit My Images
Yes
I have a canon 400D and it seems that with all my shots even at ISO 100 I have a bright red dot, maybe 1 pixel in the same place in all the images. I got the camera as xmas so its under warrenty but I can always remove the pixel with photoshop.

Anyway, is it something bad?

I swear its called a sticky pixel or something, you need to get it sorted, send it back on warranty asap

It's what's known as a stuck pixel and it'd not uncommon. As you say it's easy enough to edit out in processing, but if the camera is still under warranty and it bugs you - get onto the seller.

If you can see it without zooming in to 100% then I doubt it is just one pixel. I found one stuck red pixel on my 20D - but only by zooming in to full size and panning around a shot with the lens cap on and no NR. After that I could find it on normal shots but couldn't see it without going looking for it - so never worried about it again. If it is as obvious as it sounds then send it back.

If it's just one pixel then it might not be fixed under warranty. Most manufactures have some sort of tolerance level they apply, and when you think about it 99.99999% of your pixels are fine.

There is a procedure to fix it yourself that is easy to do and has worked for many people. Try the following. Put the lens cap on the lens, or put the body cap on. Place the camera in manual cleaning mode and let it sit for 30~60 seconds. Replace the lens and try it again. Many times it clears up the problem. Some people believe that the pixel is being remapped. I don’t know what's happening but it does work in many cases.

I have a blue one on my 300D, because it's blue it's hardly ever a problem unless I shoot at night or low light and then it's very easy to clone out. It's annoying that's there but I got used to it pretty quickly and thankfully my 30D has none.

Surely you can return a camera with a single stuck pixel given its bespoke use? I wouldn't be happy to accept a fault, even despite the odds in the manufacturing process. Cool if you can get it remapped though as StewartR says.

I wouldn't be happy to accept a fault, even despite the odds in the manufacturing process.
But you'd be even less happy to accept the price you'd have to pay for manufacturing / QC processes that guaranteed no dead pixels...

I thought about that, but then I thought about the amount of money they make out of us lot and its a fair mark up. Hell, even remote's cost £25 upwards when all you need is a cable release, which they removed the possibilty of using so I would definitely be getting mine exchanged unless the trick you said about worked.

I've never come across a dead pixel in any of the cameras I've ever used, even the cheaper compact cameras so I would make a fair bit of noise until I was satisified the product I bought recorded images correctly. Manufacturing and QC shouldn't even be a consideration to me as a consumer. (in my opinion anyway) :)

If it's just one pixel then it might not be fixed under warranty. Most manufactures have some sort of tolerance level they apply, and when you think about it 99.99999% of your pixels are fine.

There is a procedure to fix it yourself that is easy to do and has worked for many people. Try the following. Put the lens cap on the lens, or put the body cap on. Place the camera in manual cleaning mode and let it sit for 30~60 seconds. Replace the lens and try it again. Many times it clears up the problem. Some people believe that the pixel is being remapped. I don’t know what's happening but it does work in many cases.

I did what you said and took some dark pics and there didnt seem to be any red pixels, not going to goin my chickens but it does look like it worked.

On the other hand, I looked at some old pics that had the red dot, loaded them up into PS and the red dot wasnt there.... I cant explain it.

Oh yeah, im seeing the red dot in the preview window of bridge CS 3.... Cant figure it out. But thanks :)

This might be worth a try. I recently bought a used Nikon D200. On one of my macro shots with a dark background, I noticed 2 or 3 white spots. i could see the same white spots in other pics in the same place. Stuck / hot pixels?
So, I did a shot of the inside of my lenscap and noticed a colourfull array of blue red and white spots, about 10 in all, when I viewed it on my computer.
I`d had this problem and fixed it before on a Minolta dimage A1.
I did a full reset of the camera, including menu resets, then set the camera up as I wanted it, another interior lenscap shot, and no coloured pixels at all.

Seemed to have worked for me a couple of times now, might be worth a try for you, but make a note of all your custom menu settings first.
Allan

Back