Brilliant

Name
Stephen
Edit My Images
Yes
I had gone to West End Common, Surrey to look for my first broad-bodied chasers of the year. After seeing nothing but a single male azure damselfly at Halfpenny Pond, I wandered around Margy Pond and eventually found both male and female broad-bodied chasers. After chasing them around the clearing a bit trying to get some clear shots, I headed back to the car. I hadn't gone far when I noticed a largish dragonfly land on a bush just ahead of me. Given its size, and the time of year, I thought it would be a hairy dragonfly, but as I approached I saw that it was a bright green colour, and realised I was looking at a female brilliant emerald dragonfly. I have only ever seen these in flight before and think I may have one other photo of this species of dragonfly.

View attachment 38343 View attachment 38344

What a great find. Downy emeralds occur near me on the Mendip Hills but I've never seen this species before.

Both shots are amazing. Never seen this one before, only Downys for me too. I understand Ashdown Forest is good for them too. #1 is fave for me, very clearly shows the spikey ovipositor. My only comment is that the white balance is different between each shot - a quick change in PP should sort this

Both shots are amazing. Never seen this one before, only Downys for me too. I understand Ashdown Forest is good for them too. #1 is fave for me, very clearly shows the spikey ovipositor. My only comment is that the white balance is different between each shot - a quick change in PP should sort this

The first was with flash, the second without.

Very apt title indeed.
These are stunning. Pity im terrified of most things Bug.

Two very nice shots Stephen, with some great detail.(y)

George.

Back