Brilliant!

Plain Nev

Vincent Furnier
Name
Neville
Edit My Images
Yes
A friend of mine gave me a box full of his father in law's old cameras. A bit of an eclectic selection, but quite interesting none the less. Among them was a Voigtlander Brilliant. Now his father in law was apparently a bit eccentric, bless him, and documented his collection. He's got this one down as being 1935. But in actual fact it appears to be a focussing model, complete with a little compartment and two filters. So, for my money that puts it after 1937. Although, from what I understand it's still not a true TLR. Quite pleased to come across this one. The lenses have cleaned up a treat and both shutter and aperture appear to work fine. Any thoughts on the Brilliant would be appreciated.

A friend of mine gave me a box full of his father in law's old cameras. A bit of an eclectic selection, but quite interesting none the less. Among them was a Voigtlander Brilliant. Now his father in law was apparently a bit eccentric, bless him, and documented his collection. He's got this one down as being 1935. But in actual fact it appears to be a focussing model, complete with a little compartment and two filters. So, for my money that puts it after 1937. Although, from what I understand it's still not a true TLR. Quite pleased to come across this one. The lenses have cleaned up a treat and both shutter and aperture appear to work fine. Any thoughts on the Brilliant would be appreciated.

I had one for a while, but it was broken so I never made any pictures with it, sadly.

Martin Henson featured one in one of his videos, which you might find interesting.

View: https://youtu.be/U7Ng9xmeuj0

If it's the bakelite version with the geared viewing and taking lenses I would consider it to be a true, though rather crude, TLR. I had the cheapo Russian copy, a Lubitel 2, with the filter compartment which enjoyed using. Following that I had a Ricohflex with the same type of focussing mechanism. I suspect that you should get some good results from your camera.

Still getting to grips with it. It's a bit of a learning curve after an SLR. I'll have to take some photos of it.

Back