Brimstone & Apple

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
No
Moths can be incredibly accomodating when they put their minds to it...

Picture this. Open back door of house to go on a midnight slug hunt. Outside security light flicks on, and in moments, a dozen slugs are on the radar... but so am I...

As a Brimstone moth, attracted by the light bombards my head and the vicinity of said head, enforcing poor Mr Macro Man into drastic action!

Forget the slugs, concentrate on the moth!

So I allow it to enter the house (by switching outside light off, and leaving kitchen light on. Moth (bring more stupid than the human) makes a bee-line for the indoors. Once in, flutters around and chooses to land on door.

Perfect. A good place to get me quite close for a few shots.

Then the creative mind kicks in and said Macro Man looks around kitchen for props.

Apples.

Always was a reason for having some in the fruit bowl.

Plan of action put into motion. Get apple, entice moth (carefully) to make a gentle step from door to fruit. Daft moth has not a clue, and makes the step.

Ideal.

Macro Man places black cloth on cooker, apple (with moth) on small plate on top of cloth, and proceeds to take series of photos of said accomodating moth.

Result.

Creative masterpiece. Sort of...

Sigma 105 and Marumi ringflash in tandem.

C&C as always appreciated.

Exif:

Camera Make: Canon
Camera Model: Canon EOS 450D
Image Date: 2009:07:08 00:13:54
Flash Used: Yes (Manual)
Focal Length: 105.0mm
CCD Width: 4.18mm
Exposure Time: 0.010 s (1/100)
Aperture: f/11.0
ISO equiv: 100
White Balance: Auto
Metering Mode: Spot
Exposure: Manual
Exposure Mode: Manual

800BRIM1.jpg

Paul.

Last edited:
If you can get moths to pose as beautifully as this for you I wonder what you would have done with the slugs - or was that more of a squash than a photographic hunt?

Just don't mention salt... (Shhh).

Paul.

A story with pictures....my favourite :) Good shot

BTW If you're into slug genocide. Just mow the lawns at midnight. Mass murder....:D

Neighbours?

I'm always careful not to make any noise. Mind you, even if I did I wouldn't be heard by some of them round here. Music and arguments etc. lol..

I'm just glad that Macro photography is generally a "quiet" genre.

Paul.

Very nicely done...........well worth all that effort to get a shot like that:clap:

Much more interesting than slugs:puke:

Lovely little story and picture :D

:( I'm really starting to miss my macro lens now the garden is filled with butterflies and what have you :(

Well worth all the effort to coax it onto the apple, that's a corker (y). As for mowing the garden at night for a slugfest... assuming the neighbours don't come round for harsh words... think of the mess .... I wouldn't want to clean that mower ...:puke:

Back