Bristol International Balloon Fiesta 2018

Name
GC
Edit My Images
Yes
This year's 40th anniversary event starts Thurs 9th August, they are hoping to inflate/launch 40 special shape balloons over the 4 days plus the normal 100+ balloon mass launches weather permitting.

Shots below from the 2017 event:

36572822705_05b8c1a6a8_b.jpg

35763454203_8dd7f051d1_b.jpg

36572826195_11f1f7cd97_b.jpg

36398787922_530933d937_b.jpg

GC

Great event, always love seeing the balloons flying over the city.

Is this still at/from As(?h?)ton Court?

Ooh, might try to get there this year - been meaning to for ages, but things crop up - friday looking good presently :)

I will have to go. You never know I might get something great again. It will be high tide which will make it very interesting from the angles that weren't really available in the previous years.

I might be in one of the balloons, I have the offer of a (free) flight as I've driven the retrieve vehicle for them several times, so let me know if you take my photo :D.

I might be in one of the balloons, I have the offer of a (free) flight as I've driven the retrieve vehicle for them several times, so let me know if you take my photo :D.

You’ll need to let people know which balloon you’re in :)

We're covering Thurs PM through to Sun AM launches, see if you can find the registration and we'll try to oblige:)

GC

only if you stick a TP add out the basket ;);)

does the car parking you pay include the festival or do you need tickets for that as well?

does the car parking you pay include the festival or do you need tickets for that as well?

Balloon Fiesta entrance is free, just pay for the car park.

GC

As above - I did read you had to pre buy the car park ticket, if not, then you’ll be turned away from the car parking on site...

all booked we are going on Friday:) probably be wearing an Aussie hat i burn easy :cool:

Looks rather nice. Just trying to work out if this is family friendly or rather more accurately 11 month old friendly :D

If it's very very crowded like in pictures then it won't work very well with the buggy etc. He gets clautraphobic easily around many people. But if they some place where we can watch the balloons in sky with few people around that'd be nice??

Last edited:
As above - I did read you had to pre buy the car park ticket, if not, then you’ll be turned away from the car parking on site...

Park anywhere else, walk, save the fee, and hours of pain and burnt clutch trying to get out and up a 25% hill in stop start traffic :p

Looks rather nice. Just trying to work out if this is family friendly or rather more accurately 11 month old friendly :D

If it's very very crowded like in pictures then it won't work very well with the buggy etc. He gets clautraphobic easily around many people. But if they some place where we can watch the balloons in sky with few people around that'd be nice??

It certainly gets busy but there are always lots of youngsters and buggies there, failing that find out when the balloons are up and go to a high pint in the city to watch them fly over. :)

It certainly gets busy but there are always lots of youngsters and buggies there, failing that find out when the balloons are up and go to a high pint in the city to watch them fly over. :)

Thanks for info
What's a good high spot?

I have been to Clifford's bridge before so rather not go to the same point again :)

Thanks for info
What's a good high spot?

I have been to Clifford's bridge before so rather not go to the same point again :)

Not sure about Clifford's Bridge but above the Clifton Suspension Bridge, near the old Observatory can give some good views.
Possibly lower down around the Cumberland Basin, there is some grass areas but also concrete ... and water.

Not sure about Clifford's Bridge but above the Clifton Suspension Bridge, near the old Observatory can give some good views.
Possibly lower down around the Cumberland Basin, there is some grass areas but also concrete ... and water.
Sorry I meant Clifton suspension bridge :facepalm:

Think I’d read it’s shut from Thursday night to Sunday night ...
Probably will be to traffic but plenty of areas immediately around for photos.

Probably will be to traffic but plenty of areas immediately around for photos.

Yep, shut for road traffic to allow pedestrian access to the Ashton Court Estate.

GC

Well well the forecast is starting to look wet for the weekend. Who could have thought?! Thursday might be OK, and Friday morning just about. Obviously all is subject to change.

Yep, shut for road traffic to allow pedestrian access to the Ashton Court Estate.

On Thursday and Saturday evenings they used to totally shut the bridge and on other two days leave it open. This was due to extra night glow spectator traffic apparently.
Thanks for info
What's a good high spot?

Cabot tower is your highest spot. Been there and done that. Views are OK but you clearly know what is a better alternative :) Oh and it gets very busy and crowded too.

Predicted winds would wipe out any launches at the moment if xc weather is to believed.

Predicted winds would wipe out any launches at the moment if xc weather is to believed.
Yep, looks like we might miss the worst of the rain but the wind may well scupper the whole event for launching.

Yep, looks like we might miss the worst of the rain but the wind may well scupper the whole event for launching.

Yep, the normal vagaries of UK HAB events:(

GC

Oooo can see my friends balloon, which I have enjoyed a ride in down Cheddar Gorge.

Tomorrow afternoon looks potentially reasonable. Miserable to start with but then should clear nicely by 6 or 7PM. I will reconfirm the forecast at lunchtime and will take it from there.
Wind direction looks very favourable so far.

Friday is again probable...

Saturday looks the worst right now.

Isn't it just a night-glow tonight?

In terms of photography I forget attending as a family to the actual event, far too busy.

Last time I was at Clifton Suspension Bridge at an ungodly hour in the morning, the balloons briefly appeared over the hill and then headed off in the other direction! I jumped back in the car and headed to the south of Bristol, basically following the direction of the balloons (and the many Defenders tracking them), 15 minutes later I'm stood in a lovely clear field with them all passing over my head.

Well it was too "windy".
I probably won't bother with the rest tonight and might opt for clevedon instead.

Tomorrow morning looks quite cloudy, possibly raining so I will give it a miss. Afternoon could be good.

Back