Bristol is set to become the UK's first city to ban diesel cars from entering parts of the city centre

Yes the 150 and 180 are just different maps on the same engine

For what mine is the 30mpg average that I get is acceptable, it gets up to around 38mpg average on a 70mph motorway run though. I had a 2.0 EcoBoost 250PS before that and was around 1-2mpg better.

I think I may have asked you this before but I can't remember. Are you familiar with the 3.0 AJD-V6 engine at all as there's something I'm trying to find out about it but nobody seems to know the answer?

I think I may have asked you this before but I can't remember. Are you familiar with the 3.0 AJD-V6 engine at all as there's something I'm trying to find out about it but nobody seems to know the answer?

Back in the day I managed the operations for the ministerial cars , which in ghe mid 1980s were Jag 4.2s and Austin Ambassadors!

Eventually Rover 827, Montegos, Mondeos and Cavaliers.

Then the green agenda took off and the Toyota Prius arrived - Whole Life Anaysis? Less particulate but offset by cost of battery cradle to grave costs of ownership and disposal which included some body panels.

Next iteration? Vlesn burn Diesel!!!!!

The reality? Short of not driving people around. any car use is a negative in a world where leaner/cleaner burn vehicle using Diesel of Petrol will be negatives on the biosphere.

So what was the next vehicle engine choice? Natural Gas! This time in Volvo 7 series estates. Supposedly cleaner burn. British Gas made their gas filling facilities on the Old Kent Road. Problem ..... on very cold days, natural gas will not ‘pump’ at high speed!

So we tried but the major technology was Petrol or Diesel.

Yes Hybrid vehicles are coming on stream, and incentives to adopt are not ‘generous enough’ to move across.

Frustrating but we are getting closer to technology moving us forward BUT we are yet to find a better way to recycle power cells.

I feel my Peugeot 5008 SUV ‘seems’ to be my best buy ever, on an ‘all in’ basis! Wish I still had my Opel Monza 3.0 GSE!

I never knew that about Natural Gas pumping speeds in the cold, interesting though.

I'm trying to find out if the 275PS version of the engine uses different injectors to the 240PS in the 3.0 AJD-V6 engine? Although perhaps not so relevant now as I'll probably be changing it fairly soon. I am pondering on whether or not to get the XF 5.0 V8 (whilst you can still get a V8) or putting the sensible hat on and getting something like a V90 T5 or a 540i (I do like six cylinders)?

I've looked at EV and PHEV but until charging speeds and infrastructure is nearer to what we have for the black stuff then it's a no go for me.

Afraid not. Not even sure there is even anyone at work now who would know. A lot of people have come and gone or moved out of the department in the 6yrs I have been there.

Just seen your query about injectors. I really only have experience on things like that on petrols and different outputs from the same capacity engine generally uses the same injectors. Not sure if that is the same with diesel engines.

Last edited:
Afraid not. Not even sure there is even anyone at work now who would know. A lot of people have come and gone or moved out of the department in the 6yrs I have been there.

Just seen your query about injectors. I really only have experience on things like that on petrols and different outputs from the same capacity engine generally uses the same injectors. Not sure if that is the same with diesel engines.

Thanks, I think the injectors are the same but wanted to try and be sure. It transpired from a remap firm being awfully conservative with their remap and when I queried why they weren't even reaching the higher rated 275PS version with the exact same engine they vaguely claimed it was down to larger injectors etc. But it felt a little like waffle so I looked into it but couldn't find any such info. Even the workshop manual makes no reference to different sized injectors.

Thanks, I think the injectors are the same but wanted to try and be sure. It transpired from a remap firm being awfully conservative with their remap and when I queried why they weren't even reaching the higher rated 275PS version with the exact same engine they vaguely claimed it was down to larger injectors etc. But it felt a little like waffle so I looked into it but couldn't find any such info. Even the workshop manual makes no reference to different sized injectors.
It does seem odd that they can't get from 240-275 on a remap. My 2.2 Mondeo went from 155 upto 196 with a remap. They may have been playing it safe depending on the injectors. Some diesel injectors will prematurely wear out if pushed too hard. If the injectors had already seen some mileage they might not have wanted to push them too hard otherwise you'd get plenty of black exhaust smoke.

It does seem odd that they can't get from 240-275 on a remap. My 2.2 Mondeo went from 155 upto 196 with a remap. They may have been playing it safe depending on the injectors. Some diesel injectors will prematurely wear out if pushed too hard. If the injectors had already seen some mileage they might not have wanted to push them too hard otherwise you'd get plenty of black exhaust smoke.
At risk of going off topic, but seen as we are half way there, would you recommend a remap on the 2.0 ecoboost engine? If claims are to believed, going from 250 bhp to ~300 for a few £££ is tempting......

I think you are right and they are playing it safe. Oddly enough, there are plenty who have remapped well above 300 with this engine and torque figures in the mid 600's. The transmission is rated to 700Nm thankfully. The weak spot is the intercooler, I believe it was a direct port from the previous model and suffers splitting. The thing I've noticed is that it tends to be those with the higher powered 275PS which suffer this so it's making me reluctant to remap. It's starting to become a non-issue anyway due to the my intention to change to petrol in the future (possibly hybrid if it's performance orientated).

At risk of going off topic, but seen as we are half way there, would you recommend a remap on the 2.0 ecoboost engine? If claims are to believed, going from 250 bhp to ~300 for a few £££ is tempting......
Mountune do a 275bhp remap with a few bits of hardware. This was a Ford sanctioned upgrade and warranty friendly which does mean they can be conservative. I would say 300bhp was getting towards the limit of the turbo. If I was going to increase a 2.0 to 300bhp, I'd be wanting an upgraded intercooler to help get there and everything else wouldn't need to work so hard to get there. Also just run it on 98/99 RON fuel.

I think you are right and they are playing it safe. Oddly enough, there are plenty who have remapped well above 300 with this engine and torque figures in the mid 600's. The transmission is rated to 700Nm thankfully. The weak spot is the intercooler, I believe it was a direct port from the previous model and suffers splitting. The thing I've noticed is that it tends to be those with the higher powered 275PS which suffer this so it's making me reluctant to remap. It's starting to become a non-issue anyway due to the my intention to change to petrol in the future (possibly hybrid if it's performance orientated).
Is there no upgraded aftermarket intercoolers available. Something capable of handling the higher boost pressures and heat.

Is there no upgraded aftermarket intercoolers available. Something capable of handling the higher boost pressures and heat.

I've briefly looked in the past and couldn't see any, I think it's the plastic part which splits. So much plastic in engines these days, I appreciate compounds are better but still what with the heat cycles is it really the sensible choice just to save some weight (and probably money).

I've briefly looked in the past and couldn't see any, I think it's the plastic part which splits. So much plastic in engines these days, I appreciate compounds are better but still what with the heat cycles is it really the sensible choice just to save some weight (and probably money).
I'm not sure if any of these are suitable for the 3.0 V6.
I had an Airtec intercooler on my Mondeo, I could feel the extra torque even before the remap.

I'm not sure if any of these are suitable for the 3.0 V6.
I had an Airtec intercooler on my Mondeo, I could feel the extra torque even before the remap.

I never actually thought of looking at an intercooler used in a Ford vehicle to see if it may be compatible. It's something I want on standby for if it ever happens to me, I'd rather replace with a better piece of kit.

So Bristol Council would like to ban the privately owned diesel vehicles which meet the latest emissions standards as they say it will improve emissions in Bristol.
Odd that Bristol Council are currently in the process of buying a fleet of 64 diesel vehicles.
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&s...AhAB&usg=AOvVaw0zjnnQ0iB-SpstH2DJifmJ&ampcf=1
Not at all odd. If you lived here you would know this sort of thing is par for the course for Bristol city council, absolutely no-one is surprised.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/council-halts-61m-rollout-new-3594700

I get the feeling from the wording and some of the language used that council vehicle will in fact and rather predictably be exempt.

So Bristol Council would like to ban the privately owned diesel vehicles which meet the latest emissions standards as they say it will improve emissions in Bristol.
Odd that Bristol Council are currently in the process of buying a fleet of 64 diesel vehicles.
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&s...AhAB&usg=AOvVaw0zjnnQ0iB-SpstH2DJifmJ&ampcf=1

I pray someone with bigger wallet and legal knowledge would sue them to oblivion.

Or just make Bristol and other loonie cities reservations for deranged leftists so that they don't pollute the rest of the society. Have your VR googles on, take the chip to your brain, go to virtual - and real - HELL and leave us alone.

I get the feeling from the wording and some of the language used that council vehicle will in fact and rather predictably be exempt.
The ban only applies to "privately owned" diesel vehicles, "commercial" vehicles will be able to enter but have to pay a daily charge if they are not Euro 6.

I have a commercial vehicle (Ford Transit) which is Euro 4. Whether it will be banned as private or allowed in as a commercial with a fee is not clear

Off-topic but local councils display a definition of stupid.

We have a local school close to a busy A road and a roundabout next to it, the council have fitted a set of traffic lights to enable students to cross safely.

First morning the council were out watching how things worked and came away happy, it was chaos at leaving time though, no one had considered that in the morning its a slow trickle of students over an extended period arriving at school, at leaving time all students hit it at about the same time.

Near where I live they replaced a roundabout with traffic lights , amazingly one set of lights bought most of warrington to a standstill at 5pm

Turned out when calculating the volume of traffic they used data that was 5 years out of date and hadn't factored in the thousands of houses that had been built in that time

Best bit , Gullivers World theme park closes at 5pm so 100s of cars are trying to get back to the motorway through the new lights, they hadn't taken that into consideration at all

Idiots the lot of them

Near where I live they replaced a roundabout with traffic lights , amazingly one set of lights bought most of warrington to a standstill at 5pm

Turned out when calculating the volume of traffic they used data that was 5 years out of date and hadn't factored in the thousands of houses that had been built in that time

Best bit , Gullivers World theme park closes at 5pm so 100s of cars are trying to get back to the motorway through the new lights, they hadn't taken that into consideration at all

Idiots the lot of them
Our council likes to cock things up too. We have a T Junction on a slip road that worked perfectly well for years with the side road traffic having to give way. Then some bright spark thought it a good idea for traffic turning lefy out of the side turning not to give way and expect 40mph traffic on the slip road to then merge with 20mph traffic coming out of the side turning. In all the years that cars had to give way at the junction, there was hardly an accident, now it's rare for a week to go by where a fresh pile of broken headlamp or broken bumper pieces litters the roadside.

The ban only applies to "privately owned" diesel vehicles, "commercial" vehicles will be able to enter but have to pay a daily charge if they are not Euro 6.

I have a commercial vehicle (Ford Transit) which is Euro 4. Whether it will be banned as private or allowed in as a commercial with a fee is not clear

Council vehicles certainly won't be classed as private, but I'm wondering if they will be classed as commercial or some other definition and whichever they'll be I wonder if they'll receive an exemption? Or is this a silly question...

Council vehicles certainly won't be classed as private, but I'm wondering if they will be classed as commercial or some other definition and whichever they'll be I wonder if they'll receive an exemption? Or is this a silly question...
Really silly! I think you qualify for a job with the council (y)

Last edited:
Back