Bristol Rugby vs. Bath Rugby 7h Sept 2008.

Edit My Images
Yes
First game of the new season and thankfully, the rain stayed away. Whilst I do love covering Rugby in the rain as it helps the pix, it was nice to stay dry, and given that I left my rain cover on the dash board, it was jolly nice to get through 80 minutes without worry.

My day started at 11.30 when I rolled out of bed. Quick check on my kit of which I decided to shoot with the D3, 300mm F/2.8, 70-200 F/2.8 and a 2 x TC so I could shoot at 600mm from the corners.

Bad start - left the house but realised I had left my keys inside so had to phone my girl up who was out shopping so she could bail me out.....got on site about 14.15, collected pass, bibs, team sheets and programs and then looked up to think about light. In the meantime, had a chat with a couple of photographers who are currently shooting Canon but are ex Nikon users, relating to Nikon's buy back policy where they are offering to part ex Canon kit and resupply working pro's with Nikon bodies and glass at discount. Anyway, all are happy with what they have and advised one chap that more Canon goodies are on the way.

So, onto the game. I shot the first half with the TC engaged so was at 600mm. However, dont forget that a 2x TC costs two stops of light so I was at F5.6, which is fine for middle of the park rugby as DOF is all relative to your distance, the subject and the background. However, my ISO was higher than it normally would have been, in order to keep the speed at a minimum of 1/500th. This is the speed that I have found can freeze action, aside from a boxers punch. I was nearer 1/800 however, as I always apply the focal length reciprocate the speed thing.

Lightwise it was a very flat cloudy day, but cloudy WB was too warm so I let the D3 work it out for itself by staying in auto WB. Exposure wise, when you have flat light, with sport you can shoot manual and control your exposure or use aperture priority and let the camera look after the shutter for you. I choose aperture today as I was feeling lazy. Whilst I mentioned that manual control results in better exposure overall, here it is less critical as these images could end up in print at 72 dpi so it's a moot point. Also, manual can be tricky on sunny days of course, especially if a ground is half covered by the shadow of a stand though auto ISO can be a godsend.

In all, I shot 120 frames, which is a lot less than I was shooting two years ago, but then I have gigs of rugby stock and dont want much more! Wired away some images through the match, departed the ground after returning passes etc, then had the long drive home. When back I settled down with a nice cup of tea and watched the X factor, which I had sky +'d from the previous evening.

Onto the pix. Enjoy. You seen one, you seen em all !

2838304512_9b7588bb83.jpg

2838211930_b5b0f325a5.jpg

2837362857_bc527d73f6.jpg

2837452777_143c6b233f.jpg

2838282368_3ec2d17281.jpg

2837423299_a175d4b4e0.jpg

2837464103_48e70a3fc8.jpg

2838295682_6568684aba.jpg

2838249700_3358cfb53d.jpg

2838224690_0fd799ef43.jpg

Last edited:
These are great and thank you so much for taking the time to explain the settings behind them. A great learning tool, especially for those of us just considering trying sports! GULP!

I do love the facial expressions in rugby, you just know that some of those tackles are going to hurt!

These are great and thank you so much for taking the time to explain the settings behind them. A great learning tool, especially for those of us just considering trying sports! GULP!

I do love the facial expressions in rugby, you just know that some of those tackles are going to hurt!

Thanks. I always try and explain work rather than dump it. I hope it helps people learn along the way.

The 2x converter doesn't look too bad. Thanks for posting these images, and thanks for your help in the 2x thread.

:thumb:

I like it when you post sports stuff, always top notch.

Do you have to focus manually with that TC?

thanks for sharing setings etc. learning all the time. loved the photos ferocious tackling, but then it was a derby game.

Great set - what can I add. Pin sharp and great composition.

One question. What are you doing sky+'ing X Factor?!!

Nice images, good colors and nice and sharp. Really difficult to comment on them too much, as I don't know the sport of rugby that well.
But (as I am sure you know) you've caught the moments very nicely and got some super expressions on the players faces.

It really must have been decent weather if you could manage to use f 5.6 ... I could hardly dream of that sort of f. stops during the evening games here in Finland (for some reason all sports start late in the evening here).

Also a nice little touch to tell about how the day went for you... might want to try that myself when I post the next lot of images here.

A great set of shots Pete!:clap:
And soooo sharp!

Thanks for sharing the camera settings.
I've been struggling with my football shots, & will give it a try it in AV mode.(y)

Regards Spence

No worries. I have some free weekends coming up soon so if you want to meet up and have a chat, I can help you shoot some sport and give you some tips. Bristol Downs League - free every saturday and about 30 games to choose from.(y)

No worries. I have some free weekends coming up soon so if you want to meet up and have a chat, I can help you shoot some sport and give you some tips. Bristol Downs League - free every saturday and about 30 games to choose from.(y)

I'll hold you to that if I may!

I'm busy with work for the next couple of Saturdays, but after that I will PM you if thats OK.

Are you in town for the Bristol half this year?

Regards Spence

I'll hold you to that if I may!

I'm busy with work for the next couple of Saturdays, but after that I will PM you if thats OK.

Are you in town for the Bristol half this year?

Regards Spence

Yeah, shooting live for the BBC as far as I am aware so will be about but busy. If you see me do shout as will say hello.

As ever I am the dandy, handsome gent carrying a D3 with a 300 2.8 - my favoured marathon combo !

Great set Pete,

What is your workflow after bringing home your 120 shots? if you have time to explain it would be nice to understand how you process so many shots quickly and with the success you have, (I know it has to be right in the camera first, but these are bright, vibrant, lovely and sharp) these are really top quality.

TFS

Great set Pete,

What is your workflow after bringing home your 120 shots? if you have time to explain it would be nice to understand how you process so many shots quickly and with the success you have, (I know it has to be right in the camera first, but these are bright, vibrant, lovely and sharp) these are really top quality.

TFS

No problem.

I download the images to a folder which is pre labelled by the subject via Nikon transfer. I then view the images via view NX and then rather than sort I literally go through shots one by one, tagging them and rating them. You can then sort by value. Favoured shots are then opened in Capture NX2 where I do -

1. Straighten the horizon if required.

2. A slight levels tweak.

3. Crop to my preferred shape of 5 x 7 either way. As ever unless text boxes are required, shoot tight, crop tighter. Example here is No. 6 in my original post. Not far way from in camera but a slight tweak nails it.

UN_PT_77.jpg

4. As the images are saved they go to a stand alone folder on my desktop which will be labelled again by the match. Once complete the folder goes into my stock 2008 folder for quick access and the original folders is then moved onto a back up hard drive.

5. Once I have my required number of keepers, I used Adobe Bridge to write my event info, score, titles, IPTC data, copyright and exif data, list who or what is happening in the shot so that papers can use that as what is referred to as a 'drop' i.e in number one, it might say 'Bristol Rugby's Dan Ward Smith builds up steam', which is why team sheets and programs are given out before the game. This data is transferred to the newspaper when the electronic file is pasted into the newspapers computer. All images are labelled by player so if I get a call asking if there is a tidy shot of him then I have a quick access to player by season and so on. That happens too....

6. I sometimes go back to my first folder and do a re-run and see if there is anything I may have missed. Sometimes yes, sometimes no.

7. Send em out to customers etc

8. Once done, I start thinking about my next shoot!!!

I hardly shoot live now, so its a god send being able to work at home, but credit to the guys doing it week in week out. I know people who have this down to a fine art and I was no slouch. Being honest, one of the reasons I love Nikon is the double delete, rather than delete, dial, confirm. Also, always try and chimp away the crap as this saves you a lot of time and electric :) To expedite what I have shot, I usually lock images I am happy with, then delete all to get rid of the rest if there are a series of shots of one player carrying the ball. Its a funny thing but machines like the D3 are fast, and its about how quickly they get the first couple of frames. However, even in split seconds, some pictures work, some don't. I don't get drawn into my camera is better than yours as to me, my machine is to get pictures when I need it and at the moment, Nikon and its software work fantastically for me.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Excellent, Thanks for the time explaining your workflow. I will attempt something similar.

Nice set of images there Pete, always a pleasure to look at.

Mark

Back