Bristol Waterfront, an Alternative View

Name
'Gramps'
Edit My Images
No
Not photographed in this area before - between Bathurst Basin and St Mary Redcliffe, looking back toward the city.

Waterside View by photogramps, on Flickr

Nikon D3S
Nikon 35-70 f2.8
Bracketed 7 shots processed in Photomatix Pro 4.2

Thanks Nick, your comments are appreciated - I've done some ghastly HDR in the past!
Interestingly this is an area of the city that I have walked/driven past hundreds of times but never actually walked this stretch before :)

So you can, I hadn't noticed the Banksy work until you mentioned it!

Thanks Nick, your comments are appreciated - I've done some ghastly HDR in the past!
Interestingly this is an area of the city that I have walked/driven past hundreds of times but never actually walked this stretch before :)

HDR is like marmite lol. Love or hate. I've tried it and its so easy to ruin stuff (as I found out lol) decided not to go down that route for the time being, when they look natural like this and enhance a view rather than manipulating colours and textures it works :)

I know the spot well, but for me the shrubbery dead centre in the image disrupts the leading line of the wall in the middle and obscures the red brick hut. I realise there isn't much you can do about it, but it's why the angle doesn't work for me.

Otherwise tones and detail and interest are good, and the HDR not overdone. But it just doesn't quite work compositionally for me.

It's one of my fav sections of the harbourside to photograph, but I think it's best shot from closer to the water, some great shots and angles around there to be found.

Just down and to the right is one of my fav views in bristol, I've spent a lot of time sat on the benches there waiting for shots:

CNV00038.JPG

Thanks Justin, I see what you mean about the brick hut.
I'm trying to visualise where your shot was taken but the building is confusing me ... is it further on toward Redcliffe roundabout? :thinking:

If you walked 50 yards from the bottom right corner of your shot, just there. The fence at the bottom right of your shot connects to the building in the left of my shot.

The Thekla is end on in the right of my pic, and the boat behind the girl is the one by the red hut in yours.

Between the swing bridge and the ramp you were on.

CNV00031.JPG

And this one taken a few more yards to the right of my other one. You can just see the end of the row of houses (behind the building and the sunflare) that are also in the left of your pic.

Last edited:
Thanks Ceri, appreciate your comments :)

gramps, I showed these to my husband, and then had to listen to him waffle as he was brought up in the area :)

Ask him what he was doing down there Ruth! :eek:

Back