Bristol.......

Edit My Images
Yes
Well, Despite living only about 10 minutes away from this interesting city, I've only just managed to get my ass over there to take some pics.

It Rained. :banghead:

Nearly all day. :hissyfit:

But hey, I got some semi respectable shots....

Docklands.jpg

^^this one^^ is and HDR shot taken from 3 exposures, 1.5ev between each frame. Subject matter not great but I'm trying to improve my HDR technique!

Narrowboats.jpg

^^B&W conversion with some noise/grain left in for effect, not sure if it works or not, I know It's a bit dark, but advice please!

Old-and-New.jpg

^^ That's not noise, it's sideways rain!

Steel-Ball.jpg

^^Nice shiny ball^^ Not convinced about this one, could be trash, could be best of the bunch. Jury's still out!

Wheelgear.jpg

^^My favourite of the day! Sometimes the devil is indeed in the detail!

Excellent set, Gandhi. There is something in all of them that I like but #3 does it for me. I'd maybe like to see it without the steel frame and the variegated greys on the b/g are spot on. Well done.

regards

Hey Spence, nice set there! You've managed to get some good angles going :).

Thing I've found with Bristol is that it's best to stay away from the main areas as they tend to be a bit concrete lol :D
Have you seen that advert in the back of Venue about historic photography walks of Bristol and Bath? It's in the what's on section. Keep meaning to do it.

PS. You should give me a heads up next time and we can meet up if you fancy it. :)

Great set, love the last one with all the different colours in there.

Sorry to be thick... but what is HDR? :dizzy:

minimeeze said:
Sorry to be thick... but what is HDR? :dizzy:

High Dynamic Range processing. With film, and digital too for that matter, we're always limited by the luminosity range that the medium can cope with - typically exposing for the highlights and the shadows is the constant problem, and it's often a compromise.

With HDR processing two or more shots are taken of the same scene, individually exposed for highlights, shadows, midtones etc., and then combined together via Layers in processing to produce a shot with a much greater range of tones than would normally be possible. If you think about Kenco's excellent landscapes, most of his stuff is produced by HDR processing.

You can get programmes like 'Photomatix' which largely automate the processing for you.

Have a look at the 'How to' video in Bachs's excellent video tutoriial HERE.

Nice set of pics there gandhi. I think their all great but the last two are my favorites. I like the detail you captured in the last shot, very nice. Also the way you captured the reflections in #4. Although I think a slightly different compositoin would have done it more justice.

Cheers,

Jewel

nice set gandhi. 3 is definately my favorite, nice framing.

Really nice, especially Nos 1 and 5.

good shots, managed to get some of the sunshine between shots then! :)
like the colours in the last one

I like the first and the 3rd best, the 3rd is the one im most in to. Nicely framed shot, looks like a 50's London smog shot. Rain or noise it adds to the shot that's for sure. I have Fred Miranda's plug-in BW work flow pro, that has the capability to mimic the grain of ASA 100 to 400 film. I like some grain with BW if it's the right shot, and that's perfect for it

Know the area well, as I used to park round the back of those warehouses when I worked in Bristol years ago.

DJW said:
Know the area well, as I used to park round the back of those warehouses.

Hello sailer:bum1:

Sorry Dave, couldn't resist that:D

SammyC said:
Hey Spence, nice set there! You've managed to get some good angles going :).

Thing I've found with Bristol is that it's best to stay away from the main areas as they tend to be a bit concrete lol :D
Have you seen that advert in the back of Venue about historic photography walks of Bristol and Bath? It's in the what's on section. Keep meaning to do it.

PS. You should give me a heads up next time and we can meet up if you fancy it. :)

Next time off and have a Brizzul mission in mind I'll give you heads up! I think there's a couple of other bristolians lurking around here too, maybe we can drag them into a day out? I haven't seen that ad, despite reading venue at work when it gets boring. I'll do some investigation about it and assess the viability from my end. Maybe I can persuade you to drag yourself to over to Bath when the weathers a bit better too?

@ everybody else. Thanks for the feedback, sorry I'm a bit slow getting back to this but I'm a bit irregular these days (more prunes p'raps?)

I'll take your comments in mind and re-process some of these over the next few days, see what y'all think then!

Peace x

Gandhi said:
Maybe I can persuade you to drag yourself to over to Bath when the weathers a bit better too?

You most certinaly can! The missus would be up for a days shopping in Bath I'm sure :p

Gosh I am really enjoying this forum! Plenty to look at without being swamped. Mr Ghandi you should be very pleased to net these on a crap weather day.

2 & 3 do it for me. I especially like the texture of 2, I rarely think in B&W so I think this must have taken a bit of planning. Advice? well apart from maybe some judicious use of healing brush to make some of the distractions disappear it is very hard to fault.

Well done! :thumb:

Back