BRITCAR "Into the Night" Nov 13

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
No
Just wondered if anyone is planning to go to this on Saturday 13th November........as I only live about 20 minutes away I am thinking of going.....

Is this the first time it has happened and does anyone know what time it starts and if you can walk everywhere around the course and whether you can park on the Southbank????

THanks in advance ....

I'll be going for a client but I have no idea what to expect, apart from it to be cold and dark. . . . . . . .

....we will probably either be on paddock grandstand or at the beginning of druids.....would love to get up high to get the light trails for the whole track......47 second exposure......but dont think i can get high enough so it will be the usual shots.....

No need fo 47 secs. You'll almost get some cars twice :)

Its a good fun event. Its really just a GT meeting, but happens to run into the dark. It still finishes at 6-6.30 as with everything at Brands due to noise restrictions.

It will be cold, possibly wet (if previous years are anything to go by) and you should be able to get some good long exposure shots form spectator locations.

I'll be going for a client but I have no idea what to expect, apart from it to be cold and dark. . . . . . . .

So, you won the msa award in 2009
Some people here entered (not me I'm old and past it :) ) and no one could work out who won. Couldn't even find anything on the msa website.

Belated congrats anyway :)

So, you won the msa award in 2009
Some people here entered (not me I'm old and past it :) ) and no one could work out who won. Couldn't even find anything on the msa website.

Belated congrats anyway :)

I did indeed, thank you very much. I don't spend a great deal of time on here but I do pop in and out. The majority of my work is fairly right field of the mainstream stuff but I'm slowly encroaching in on the mainstream market, as and when clients want me to. The msa is very good at promoting the competition but not the winner.

Sorry for hijacking this thread !

I did indeed, thank you very much. I don't spend a great deal of time on here but I do pop in and out. The majority of my work is fairly right field of the mainstream stuff but I'm slowly encroaching in on the mainstream market, as and when clients want me to. The msa is very good at promoting the competition but not the winner.

Sorry for hijacking this thread !

No problem at all........any useful tips are greatly appreciated on how to capture....and any tricks of the trade.....nudge nudge..;)(y)

No problem at all........any useful tips are greatly appreciated on how to capture....and any tricks of the trade.....nudge nudge..;)(y)

Just point and click, all pretty simple stuff really

Don't think Southbank parking is normally open for this, hasn't been on the last 3 or 4 occassions that I've been. Free parking is normally on the gravel area opposite the pits and then outside the shops. Entry is by the main gate. Meeting is never that busy, but the number of spectators grows each year. Highest you can get is either on the Paddock hill grandstand or the Directors Terrace which is by the Finish line.

Just had an email from MSV, the Southbank will be open for parking. :)

Two tips for you:

#1 flash is a waste of time, even if you have decent flashes

#2 most of the circuit is not lit. Without lighting you will struggle to get anything once its proper dark.

See you there, in the dark :)

Two tips for you:

#1 flash is a waste of time, even if you have decent flashes

#2 most of the circuit is not lit. Without lighting you will struggle to get anything once its proper dark.

See you there, in the dark :)
I'll be there in the daylight too.:)

Last time I went to this, was in one of the boxes on the start finish straight so nice and warm :).

I'm considering going this year but will be out in the cold as the company decided not to pay the £30K a year for the box :(

Be careful parking on Southbank or get there early to ensure you are at the top as watching the cars trying to get off of it after the truck racing on Sunday was quite amusing....

Im no pro, but flash can provide some light as seems to light up reflectors on cars pretty well at le mans at least.

Obviously it can do, my Sb900 is perfectly capable of lighting up the scene like Hiroshima, but as with all flash photography when you use it as a primary source of illumination it kills the atmosphere of the scene.

Also for motorsport, it kill any wheel/motion blur and you just end up with a car parked on the tarmac with all the reflective bits lit up like a Christmas tree.

It kills the motion because the flash duration is equivalent of a very high shutter speed indeed - in things like portrait photography this is a technical advantage as it freezes the action... in motorsport thats not such a good thing.

These are my thoughts from having done this event quite a few times now... with very mixed results I might add!

A bit of flash fill might work... but not at Brands because as I said earlier, the circuit is largely unlit.... plus all the marshalls will be covered in reflective hi-viz too...

Really, leave the flash alone :D

Back