British GT Donington Park

Name
Richard
Edit My Images
Yes
My second trip to Donington this season for a brilliant British GT weekend. Nice to see such a big grid and such a big crowd on Sunday for the race. As always C&C welcome and encouraged

1. British GT Championship 2023 by Richard Crawford, on Flickr

2. British GT Championship 2023 by Richard Crawford, on Flickr

3. British GT Championship 2023 by Richard Crawford, on Flickr

4. British GT Championship 2023 by Richard Crawford, on Flickr

5. British GT Championship 2023 by Richard Crawford, on Flickr

6. British GT Championship 2023 by Richard Crawford, on Flickr

7. British GT Championship 2023 by Richard Crawford, on Flickr

8. British GT Championship 2023 by Richard Crawford, on Flickr

Cool set.

The first has tons of impact, very attention grabbing.

Craner Curves?

Cool set.

The first has tons of impact, very attention grabbing.

Craner Curves?
People do seem to like that one, it's got lots of attention wherever I've posted it for some reason. Yes it's Craner Curves, looking back at them from near Starkey's Bridge. A really iconic set of corners that I always find really hard to photograph in a way that shows off the elevation change.

I was stood at the bridge, under the arches when Checa had his crash there in 98.

You don't have a small accident there.

the elevation change.

It's quite a climb up them, must be terrifying driving/riding down them. :runaway:

It's a lovely set of images. TFS.

Great set, I like how you have captured more than just the cars.

It's quite a climb up them, must be terrifying driving/riding down them. :runaway:

It was a bit scary the first time I went down them with an instructor telling me not to lift off the throttle, especially as the track was damp, but after that initial go and the subsequent realisation that you can take it flat - they are a very fun set of corners.

Great set, I like how you have captured more than just the cars.

It was a bit scary the first time I went down them with an instructor telling me not to lift off the throttle, especially as the track was damp, but after that initial go and the subsequent realisation that you can take it flat - they are a very fun set of corners.
Thank you. I was going to do the pitlane walkabout but changed my mind once I saw the queue. Wish I'd done it now as I'm incredibly bad at taking photos of people.

I imagine driving down Craner Curves for the first time is a daunting experience

How much post processing do you do?

How much post processing do you do?
I shoot Raw so a bit but nothing excessive. These are based off the Provia film profile. I have a self made preset I use as a starting point, which adds a slight S to the tone curve. +15 Contrast, -50 Highlights +30 Shadows -15 Blacks. Vibrance +15 Saturation +10. Sharpening +50 but Masking set at 90. -10 Vignette. Then a Subject Select Mask to select the subject and apply +20 Texture and +30 Clarity. Then tweak as necessary from there and finally crop. Anything shot through the fence I usually add a bit of Dehaze to just to get the contrast back, especially in sunny weather. Doesn't take long, I had about 1300 images from the weekend and I'd culled and edited the lot in 3 or 4 hours in Lightroom on my iPad.

Shot 2 has the exposure dropped by a good 2 stops as it was massively overexposed in camera but I had no choice to get the shutter speed I wanted.

Last edited:
Great set as always. Interesting viewpoint on shot one, not seen one from that angle before, were you stood on the banking above Starkey's Bridge? You've done well not to get the fence in shot.

Last edited:
Great set as always. Interesting viewpoint on shot one, not seen one from that angle before, were you stood on the banking above Starkey's Bridge? You've done well not to get the fence in shot.
Thank you, yes about halfway up the hill just before Starkey's bridge. The fence does come into the frame but I can crop it out and still get the composition I want. I tried cropping some shots vertically as well.

British GT Championship 2023 by Richard Crawford, on Flickr

Back