British Wildlife Centre Photo day

Name
Ross
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi folks. Been a while since I posted anything on here but just looking for some advice from anyone who may have done this same day.

So im booked on a photo day at the British Wildlife Centre down in Surrey in mid november and im wondering what gear to take.

I did a similar day at the hawk conservancy in Andover last year and my Sigma 105mm did most of the work. Most of the birds were fairly large so did not struggle for reach.

However I'm thinking that as this will be a day of mostly smaller mammals (foxes, stoats, mice, squirrels, etc) 105mm might not cut it. Im not sure of just how close we will be getting.

Im thinking of either hiring a lens for a few days or maybe buying one if the price isnt too ludicrous. I guess sonething in the 70-200/70-300 ish sort of range might be a shout.

Most of my lenses are short reach. I lived in london for years and focused on street/architecture sort of stuff but now im out of town more and getting into a bit of wildlife maybe its time for something longer.

I own:

Nikon D90
Nikon D500
8mm F3.5
14mm F2.8
SIGMA 17-50 F2.8
40mm F2.8
105mm F2.8

Has anyone done this day before? Will my 105 do the job?

Thanks in advance.

Ross

I assume you will be doing the mammal one, foxes, otters, wildcats Squirrels

You will be in the cages with them and they can get close to you, keepers are good at getting them where
you can get decent pictures

Mice will be posed on some variety of dried grasses, teasel etc

Stoats, badgers, you will will be outside the runs but they are enticed out enticed out
if they cooperate

As for lenses, I used an 18/70 and 70/200 when I went, a few years ago, found that to be what I needed.

Have a good day, it's a great place

You will be in the cages with them and they can get close to you, keepers are good at getting them where

Stoats, badgers, you will will be outside the runs but they are enticed out enticed out
if they cooperate

As for lenses, I used an 18/70 and 70/200 when I went, a few years ago, found that to be what I needed.

Yes. Its the winter mammal one. Im looking forward to it. Maybe I shall look at a 70-200. With the badgera etc were you shooting through fencing? Thanks for the reply.

Ross

As you've got a special day booked, I'd be tempted to rent a lens or two to see how you get on. The 70-200 FL is not a huge amount to rent for 1 day and paired with the D500 will be awesome. You could also look at the 200-500 or go nuts and rent a fast super tele - why not :)
Yes. I think renting may be the right option. I was thinking either a 70-200 or a fast long prime but maybe a zoom is more practical for this day.

Yes. I think renting may be the right option. I was thinking either a 70-200 or a fast long prime but maybe a zoom is more practical for this day.
It’s up to you - the 70-200 is a really easy lens to carry and use. Plus it’s spectacularly fast.
I’m not familiar with where you’re going but if you can accommodate it - the joy of a 400 2.8 / 600 4 is really tempting :p

Yes. Its the winter mammal one. I'm looking forward to it. Maybe I shall look at a 70-200. With the badgera etc were you shooting through fencing? Thanks for the reply.

No the fence is low and solid so you are shooting over the top of it, the area is nicely set up to look natural
same with the stoats/weasels only ones you may have to shoot through the fence is the pine martens.
Oh and otters try to nibble your feet, well they did when I was there.
I was lucky got offered a short notice school cancellation members day and we got birds and owls
well worth the money enjoy

I’m not familiar with where you’re going but if you can accommodate it - the joy of a 400 2.8 / 600 4 is really tempting :p

To be honest, the cages aren't that big and you are inside, so going to long could mean you only get head shots
400 possibly but no longer

if they cooperate

I think you were there when I went :ROFLMAO:
Looking at the shots I took that day the vast majority were taken using the 70-200.

I think you were there when I went :ROFLMAO:
Looking at the shots I took that day the vast majority were taken using the 70-200.

Don't remember seeing you but it was a while ago :thinking:
Luckily I had a week off work so being contacted a few days before wasn't a problem
and too good an opportunity to miss
Just checked, it was April 2015, doesn't time fly
Wasn't it a great day, we all knew each other and the keepers so very relaxed (y)

Last edited:
I have been ( just the once) and used my 70-200mm f2.8.More than sufficient

Les :)

Don't remember seeing you but it was a while ago :thinking:
Luckily I had a week off work so being contacted a few days before wasn't a problem
and too good an opportunity to miss
Just checked, it was April 2015, doesn't time fly
Wasn't it a great day, we all knew each other and the keepers so very relaxed (y)
I've just checked my Flickr and my visit to the BWC with a TP group was in 2011!

Last one I done I used two bodies with 70-200 f2.8 and 300mm f4 prime and found the setup to be perfect. If I had to go with one lens, thinking back it would be something like a 100-400 or on crop the 70-200.

Last edited:
I've just checked my Flickr and my visit to the BWC with a TP group was in 2011!

That was a TP meet not one of the BWC dedicated photography days that you pay extra for when the
centre is closed during the week

Leave the primes at home.

I would suggest renting the 80-400 Nikkor. I have the 70-200, 80-400 and 200-500 - the 80-400 is perhaps the most versatile and should go on the D500

The Sigma can go on the D90.

You will probably find your self using the D500 >95% of the time.

You need quick reflexes for the scottish wild cat. The squirrels might come close but last time I went it was wet and they weren't willing to come out....

Great day though. If you need food there is a roadside cafe a few hundred yards up the road for bacon sandwiches...

Thanks for all your help guys. Really appreciated. Still not 100% sure what to rent or if I want to look at buying something which I can use in future too. But you guys have given me plenty to think about. Cheers.

Back