British Wildlife Centre

Name
Gareth
Edit My Images
No
Met up with some of you fellow Tog's, down at the British Wildlife Centre today.
And wanted to post up some of my favourite shots from the day.

538322_394722153904093_305619376147705_1166619_1612800675_n.jpg

575068_394727297236912_1293594560_n.jpg

149378_394722567237385_1163535913_n.jpg

562250_394723153903993_305619376147705_1166632_240232615_n.jpg

575259_394723700570605_305619376147705_1166634_73935334_n.jpg

156544_394724177237224_305619376147705_1166636_2093047522_n.jpg

Lovely set of photos, I particular like #2 and the set of flying owls - looks determined :)

oh #4 and #6 are very cute :)

Looks like fun, I'm off there on June 25th and looking forward to it ... what were the most popular lenses used?

We had a whole mix of lenses between us. For the red squirrels which was the first talk something like a 24-105 would be ideal or even something which can focus down to 10cm or so as they get very close.
Otters can be a meter away if you are lucky. I found I was using between 150-300 most of the time with these.
The pine martens will be about a meter away but never seem to stop moving. The only time they really stop is when eating and then you normally have part of a dead chick sticking out of their mouth so not the most photogenic time :p
The foxes I had difficulty with as where ever I put the lens I was getting a strip of lighter section on the photo causes by the fence. I picked the best one and increased the contrast to hide it.
The muntjac deer are in the enclosure with the squirrels and do wander pretty close. For the others use the longest lens you have.
Overall the best tip is to attend all the talks as a lot of the animals will only come out when it's feeding time.

Some cracking pictures here, Snipet I love No 6 of the otter

gblades your pinemarten is a cracker (y)

Looks like fun, I'm off there on June 25th and looking forward to it ... what were the most popular lenses used?

Yep a variety of lenses is handy, I mostly use the 70-200 2.8 and either a macro or 18-70 on the 2nd body
Wait around for a while after the feeds, especially in ther sqiuirrel enclosure, the crowds go and the animals are still around, aprt from the squirrels/deer and badgers the asnimnals are fed twice daily so if you miss the first feed you can always go for the next one

You doing one of their photographic days, be interested to know what they are like

Thanks for all the comments guys, and some cracking shots aswell gblades.
As for my lens used I had either the 24-105 or the 70-300 on the whole day.

Great set Gareth (Snipet) I think no6 is the pick of the bunch with 2 a close second.

Gareth (gblades) I see you have a great shot of the otter as well, the Scottish wildcat and the hedgehog are great too.

Thanks for the lens advice - I'm going on a 'no public' day so that should help, following your comments I'll probably take 24-120 on one camera and 70-200 on the other, with a 2x option.
Looking forward to getting a good selection, as you did (y)

Love your shots of the Snowy Owl, Really kicking myself for accidentally knocking my shutter speed from 1/1000th down to 1/640th. Totally ruined the wings in my shots.

No3 for me Zeb, lovely to catch one in the trees
You did well to get the owl too, Ive never been successful there let alone a decent in flight shot (y)

Thanks for all the comments.
Snippet - I really like the squirrel in no. 3 and a great capture of the otter.
Zeb - the first photo of the owl is stunning. The focus is spot on.

Fantastic photos everyone ...green with envy...even my daughter managed a better haul than i did

Just wasn't my day yesterday i guess

All fabulous shots!!!! Thank you very, very, much for sharing and the more than welcome lens advise... I must get there one day!

Thanks for the lens advice - I'm going on a 'no public' day so that should help, following your comments I'll probably take 24-120 on one camera and 70-200 on the other, with a 2x option.
Looking forward to getting a good selection, as you did (y)

Take a macro lens !

I've done a couple of photo days there, and on the no public days you usually get into enclouse access with the red squirels, otters, fox, and wildcats , and you can get ridiculously close to some of them -

Last edited by a moderator:
Take a macro lens !

I've done a couple of photo days there, and on the no public days you usually get into enclouse access with the red squirels, otters, fox, and wildcats , and you can get ridiculously close to some of them - i've got a pic spomewhere of a red squirell sitting on my mates head.

(y)

Take a macro lens !

I've done a couple of photo days there, and on the no public days you usually get into enclouse access with the red squirels, otters, fox, and wildcats , and you can get ridiculously close to some of them - i've got a pic below of a red squirell sitting on my mates head. (not a great pic but it shows how close you can get)

Just to clairify i'm outside the enclosure here but both the bloke withe squirel and the other tog are inside

Didn't realise you were there on Saturday :shrug:

Didn't realise you were there on Saturday :shrug:

ummm , i wasnt - but i have been there a lot , and was responding to gramps' comment about going on a non public day

(it used to be the case/maybe still is that groups of photographers could book a photoday for £40 pp , for which you got the centre to yourselves, a keeper with you on your tour round, and into enclosure access on most of the exhibits - but this was only available monday to friday)

Folks, A great day out and some cracking images here. love all of them, especially the natural red squirrel in the grass...

I only posted one of my shots so far so here it is..

Hallelujah by martin.patten, on Flickr

love it

" Dear lord i beseech you, when i said send me lots of nuts, i meant the sort i can eat, not these strange folk with cameras..."

Folks, A great day out and some cracking images here. love all of them, especially the natural red squirrel in the grass...

I only posted one of my shots so far so here it is..

Love it Martin (y)

My sarcasm was obviously wasted

I just ignored it because you seemed to be saying that only those who were there on saturday should be posting in this thread, when in fact the experiences of those who have been at other times are just as valid in regard of gramps' enquiry (more so in fact since saturday was a public day and he was asking about the non public open days)

As you arent normally a sarcastic or confrontational poster I was giving you the benefit of the doubt so as not to sidetrack the thread.

I just ignored it because you seemed to be saying that only those who were there on saturday should be posting in this thread, when in fact the experiences of those who have been at other times are just as valid in regard of gramps' enquiry (more so in fact since saturday was a public day and he was asking about the non public open days)

As you arent normally a sarcastic or confrontational poster I was giving you the benefit of the doubt so as not to sidetrack the thread.

Posting yes, but I always thought forum etiquette meant you didn't post pictures on threads unless you were either involved or invited to, oh well perhaps it's me that's wrong on this, links are fine though.
Oh dear you don't follow my posts that well do you :LOL:

Usually i'd pretty much agree with you about forum ettiquette vis a vis meet threads, which is why i havent posted any of my 'hey what a great pic'/ 'wtf is that' pictures from BWC ,. however gramps asked a specific question and i answered it - and the single picture i posted was intended to illustrate to gramps the kind of access you get on non public days ( I certainly didnt put it up to illustrate photographic talent or for critique because its pretty crap photographically)

Actually with the squirrels they now have a walk through area on public days, as you can see from the one climbing on me in the meeting thread lol
Little sod kept climbing my legs :love:
You get access to the otters, foxes and wildcats on the private days

Back