British Wildlife up close

Gremlin

Houdini
Name
Ingrid
Edit My Images
No
I had the opportunity to spend a day at the BWC on Thursday, getting close to the animals, what a fun day

My favourite of the day was Frodo, getting old but a lovely model

17176484921_eb59683b12_b.jpg

Flo did the running

16990908139_b8d49195f4_b.jpg

Finally a squirrel in a tree

17176487131_00e3dcbcff_b.jpg

Head keeper walked past and the wildcat hid

16554660434_bf93cfd22f_b.jpg

Then hissed (ok so a different wildcat !)

17175439382_29805ea2f1_b.jpg

Hedgehog posing

16556913263_66640cf9ef_b.jpg

and a rather cute Harvest Mouse

16554658974_9ff9e76f26_b.jpg

Interestingly I had both the D300 and the D7100 in use, surprising the difference in the colour hues they produce ?

More pictures from the day here BWC PICS

Last edited:
Here's me looking at the nationwide sunny forecast for the day, wondering where to go. Well, you've crossed BWC off my options as I would only be disappointed with my results after looking at these ... I cant fault any of them :) The hedgehog and mouse are lovely alternatives some of the usual subjects (although I love seeing all the usuals)!
Well done (y)

Lovely set-i just wish it were closer - would love to visit

Les

Here's me looking at the nationwide sunny forecast for the day, wondering where to go. Well, you've crossed BWC off my options as I would only be disappointed with my results after looking at these ... I cant fault any of them :) The hedgehog and mouse are lovely alternatives some of the usual subjects (although I love seeing all the usuals)!
Well done (y)

Thanks, Neal, I'm seriously thinking of going over today to catch the Heron chicks, so if you do keep an eye out, well worth it
Don't be put off, I was in with the animals ;)

Lovely set-i just wish it were closer - would love to visit
Les

Thanks Les it's almost my second home, well worth the visit, and the keepers are so friendly and helpful

Thanks, Neal, I'm seriously thinking of going over today to catch the Heron chicks, so if you do keep an eye out, well worth it
Don't be put off, I was in with the animals ;)

Thanks Les it's almost my second home, well worth the visit, and the keepers are so friendly and helpful

I did hear that- but I live close to Taunton in Somerset and a 3 hour drive away + I drive a Jaguar so not a cheap option for me

As fir Heron chicks - I have 6 nests in a wood around 3 miles from my house

Les :D

As for Heron chicks - I have 6 nests in a wood around 3 miles from my house

Les :D

You can go off people :p
Have a few round here, noisy beggers, but I can see if the adders are dancing while I'm there too as well
as see the pine martens, my favs over there:love:

You can go off people :p
Have a few round here, noisy beggers, but I can see if the adders are dancing while I'm there too as well
as see the pine martens, my favs over there:love:

Now now no need for that :D

The joy of being a Game Keeper, I have access to all area's

Les :banana:

Lovely set Ingrid, the first fox and the Harvest mouse are the picks for me. I really must call in BWC sometime when I'm down that way. (Y)

Thanks Chris and it really is worth it, just remember they are only open weekends except during school holidays.
I was lucky to be on holiday when this last minute opportunity came up (y)

Last edited:
Lovely set, hedgehog makes an unusual and pleasant change from the normal :)

Lovely set, hedgehog makes an unusual and pleasant change from the normal :)

Thanks Gramps, she is called Turbo and yes she can move fast :)
They bring her out on normal open days to do the talks so she is well use to people and cameras

Wonderful set Ingrid my favourite is the cross wildcat they are all excellent tho hedgehog is especially cute , I haven't seen one for years unfortunately
I've got to make the effort to visit there one day

Wonderful set Ingrid my favourite is the cross wildcat they are all excellent tho hedgehog is especially cute , I haven't seen one for years unfortunately
I've got to make the effort to visit there one day

Thanks Pete, damn cat hissed at me when I walked through the run as well, he really is a grumpy git :)
Got my punky heron chicks today along with something I have never seen before, hoped for dancing adders
and watched them mating instead........................................................ ;)
It really is worth a visit if you are ever down this way, great place and if I'm free I'll even give you a guided tour (y)

Last edited:
Thanks Pete, damn cat hissed at me when I walked through the run as well, he really is a grumpy git :)
Got my punky heron chicks today along with something I have never seen before, hoped for dancing adders
and watched them mating instead........................................................ ;)
I really is worth a visit if you are ever down this way, great place and if I'm free I'll even give you a guided tour (y)
Dancing adders sounds amazing
Thanks Ingrid that's very kind :)
I'll have to pay the relatives down south a visit :D

Dancing adders sounds amazing

It's the adder equivalent of the deer rut, the males entwine, got some pictures from a couple of years ago
I'll try and find to show you (y) The mating ones are a bit graphic o_O

Yep come down, don't know if you have kids but it's good for them too

I'd like to have seen more of the wildcats, I haven't seen one in years but they used to be quite common in this area. You've captured the personalities of the second cat, the hedgehog and the mouse.
They bring her out on normal open days to do the talks so she is well use to people and cameras
A talking hedgehog.....? :confused:

These are beautiful Ingrid - I particularly like the last two and the hissy wildcat. I've only been to BWC once but I thought it was fab. You've def made the most of your visit!

I'd like to have seen more of the wildcats, I haven't seen one in years but they used to be quite common in this area. You've captured the personalities of the second cat, the hedgehog and the mouse.
A talking hedgehog.....? :confused:

Yep didn't you know they are worse then women, chatter all the time ;)

and as you asked so nicely, grumpy cat on a tree:p

16554660304_6d2bae8777_b.jpg

These are beautiful Ingrid - I particularly like the last two and the hissy wildcat. I've only been to BWC once but I thought it was fab. You've def made the most of your visit!

Thanks Fi, I spend far too much time there, but have made loads of friends so it's social as well as photography.
already knew most of the people in the group so it was a laugh a minute :D

Thanks, it's a cracker. With a stare like that you just know that it's tolerating you. Any closer and it will have you.

Thank you, I wouldn't get any closer, I've always said they could be caged tabbies, but have to admit that being in the enclosure
with them is quite an experience, attitude abounds :help:

Last edited:
Cracking set Ingrid. The Field Mouse is my favourite, closely followed by the Hedgehog.

And well done on taming what looks to be quite harsh light.

Cracking set Ingrid. The Field Mouse is my favourite, closely followed by the Hedgehog.

And well done on taming what looks to be quite harsh light.

Hello Stranger :wave: how are you all doing ?

Thanks Gary, yes it was very bright sunlight, made for an interesting day though ;)

Excellent set Ingrid, I was gutted I couldn't make last Thursday.

Excellent set Ingrid, I was gutted I couldn't make last Thursday.

Thanks Bob, it was a great day, lots of laughs, real shame you couldn't be there :(
Fingers crossed another opportunity will turn up, I'd defo go again (y)

Back