British wood box cameras built in Manchester

antonroland

Inspector Gadget
Name
Anton
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello all

I got one last night, absolutely beautiful machine but not sure if she will ever work again...:crying::crying::crying:

There are two little note books that came with it showing records from 1898!

Could these machines be restored to work again? I imagine the shutter sits inside the (PERFECTLY GOOD!) billows but the shutter box is badly broken.

It would appear that 4 x 5 sheet film should work, the film casettes are hand made from wood.

Would love to hear from anyone who could tell me more about them.

Cheers all!

Without images of the camera and the damage.. I'd guess that it's very likely it could be restored. Bits of old cameras pop up frequently on Ebay/etc, and for the most part the lenses and shutters attached to the box were off-the-shelf from a variety of international manufacturers. The box was possibly made in Manchester, and the assembly of the parts was possibly done in Manchester. Or it could all have been assembled elsewhere on behalf of a Manchester based retailer.

Post up some images of the damaged shutter assembly and details of any markings on the shutter and lens.

Will do, hopefully tonight(y)

Update

Sorry for the delay...the camera is a "British" by J.T. Chapman (Photographic Chemist Manchester.

I did some reading and it seems Mr Chapman was a bit of a legend and pioneer...

Back