Broadband experiences please.

Edit My Images
No
Decided it`s time for me to up grade from the sluggish dial up and have been considering either Orange Max or one of the Tiscali packages.Has anyone any comments on either?

If you have Sky, I can recommend their broadband.

If you can get it get Virgin Media Cable Broadband in your area then get it, I couldn't go back to ADSL since, its so much more reliable and you actually get the speed you pay for.

This might be worth a read, before you switch:

http://www.badphorm.co.uk/page.php?2

Also.. When i cancelled my tiscali broadband (sent them a letter recorded delivery) they continued to bill me for 3 months, even when I'd switched supplier (I moved house, hence the reason for cancelling) and it eventually reached the stage they threatened to sent debt collectors to my new house, before they'd accept that I'd followed their cancellation procedures correctly and they buggered off and left me alone :)

i'm with virgin, speed is great, but they have decided to target users with 'targeted advertising' (see mattyH's post for more details).

Defo would not touch Orange or tiscali with somebody elses bargpole.

Another vote for Virgin, I'm currently on 20M/B it's about £70 a month but that includes HD TV

i am AOL broadband not had any probs at all. 15 pound a month

heard bad reports about tiscali but cant comment on anything personal.
Although i did read a watchdog poll that they were the worst broadband providers.

just sorting out a BB line with sky, when BT fix the fault on the line it will be ok, im only supposed to get 512 here, but the mumma was working at nearly 1mb last night!

take a look at plusnet, phone and wireless for £25 PM, BT linerental included.

ZEN costs a couple of quid more but rock solid performance.

I've had wanadoo/orange for about 4 years and not had any problems. Tech support lines are expensive and foreign but I've not had much call to use them.

Check here first http://www.samknows.com/broadband/

then check disconnection charges if you decide to quit/change as some iirc: sky, tiscali,tt remove bt's kit and install their own, then charge you to remove it.£100+ in some cases.

If your not with sky but are considering them, then if you go via topcashback/quidco etc there's £150 cb for new customers only but ends today iirc. That works out to £6 mth for bb/phone and basic sky tv. More details here http://www.itpaystowatch.co.uk/news/week-8-news

Thanks everyone for your contribution.The cable broadband is not available;in fact there hasn`t been braodband of any description until quite recently,so stuck with the adsl.I`m with Orange (freeserve)at present so barge poles aside might be loyal and go for the Max version as it is within my budget and includes BT line rental.Will not transfer until May ish so any comments re Max etc. will be appreciated. Ta again everyone.

I couldn't possibly recommend any firm as it would be considered pimping ;)

But... You say Orange Max 'includes' BT line rental. Not quite. Yes, you pay the line rental to Orange but it is then an Orange line and not a BT line. This is a consideration only if you decide to move away from Orange. Changing your 'line rental' supplier is not as straightforward as it should be, especially if your line is connected to an LLU exchange. And it won't be for a couple more years or so. And don't forget that your calls will also be charged via Orange - which probably won't be a bad thing if you are currently paying BT for calls.

/edit - nearly forgot. Don't be swayed by any cons, er, special deals for the first 3 or six months. Consider the cost of the package over a couple years - or, at least, the minimum term.

Back