Broke my D4

Name
Kevin
Edit My Images
Yes
Went arse over tit in a slot canyon in Arizona last week and had my fall broken by the D4, unfortunately it didn't survive so well :(

d4.jpg

Has anyone had a similar screen replaced at Nikon before, need to get an idea of how much they'll sting me so I can decide whether to pay for it or use insurance (will probably pay anyway to save my premiums)?

OUCH, could of been worse though. Although I love my camera I'd rather it got broken in a fall than me. At least the camera can be replaced. Sure hope you're insured.

is it well broke or just the glass on the top lcd screen?

It looks like it's survived very well to me! I believe the glass can be replaced on it's own so should be a cheap repair.

yeah still works fine, problem is I use it a lot in the wet so worried about it getting water in :( Maybe I should stick some tape over it or something for now. Hopefully can drop it into Nikon next week but apparently they have a big Olympic backlog at the mo :(

on ebay you can get like protect film for the top and rear screen, i would get one for the mean time, it should stop the glass cracking more and will stop water getting in if its only a small amount

Yeah good plan, I think I have something similar for my car so will whack some of that on there for now

Very careful application of a clear silicone?

ive looked at this carefully and the bad news its buggered beyond economic repair :crying:

il take it off your hands for spares/repairs for a tenner :p

ive looked at this carefully and the bad news its buggered beyond economic repair :crying:

il take it off your hands for spares/repairs for a tenner :p

That a bit of a rip of sir,i will offer £20 :D

To OP their an repair centre in Watton Norfolk,they used to do my Nikons they were very good :)

Last edited:
I'll double that £60 plus a tenner for you troubles = £70 :LOL:

The last GGS protector I stuck on the back of the D3s lasted approx 4½ hours before smashing, this has somewhat put me off them

It looks to me like it's just the LCD glass that's broken, which I think is just stuck on? Surely Nikon can supply a new glass - heat the old one with a hairdryer and carefully prise off and replace with the new one? I might be wrong of course... But worth giving Nikon a call?

Glad you're not injured though :)

It looks to me like it's just the LCD glass that's broken, which I think is just stuck on? Surely Nikon can supply a new glass - heat the old one with a hairdryer and carefully prise off and replace with the new one? I might be wrong of course... But worth giving Nikon a call?

Glad you're not injured though :)

And I'm while it would be and easy DIY fix that fix would also instantly invalidate your warranty :cautious: :nono:

I'm guessing it's an easy fix but as it's still under warranty I doubt they'd sell me the part and let me do it, obviously the warranty doesn't cover the break but I don't want to give them an excuse for not fixing it further down the line if anything else happens to it. I'll see if i can talk them into fixing it while I wait but i fear with the olympics stuff that's not going to happen. I've found some armorfend bits that were left over from my car and made a temporary cover for now, at least that should stop any other water or crud getting into it

The last GGS protector I stuck on the back of the D3s lasted approx 4½ hours before smashing, this has somewhat put me off them

I suppose there are two ways of looking at it though. On the brighter side, the screen underneath presumably survived so the GGS glass did it's job by absorbing the impact. If it were too stiff, it would simply transmit that impact load into the screen. Bit of a diversion this though as it's a bit late of course to worry about protecting the LCD, I was more thinking of the GGS as a decent way of providing a temporary cover to keep nasties out.

How are they going to know you've replaced the glass?

Well maybe that you'll need to try and order it from them for starters, plus I'm sure they would have there ways :cautious:

yeah simply by trying to get hold of the part, as it's a new camera they seem to be unavailable online

With something like this no point in skimping. Get it fixed properly.

yeah this is what I'm thinking, my guessing is the part is only cheap anyway and won't take long to fit...

Did this to my d200 a few years ago. Part was £2.50 Nikon wanted about £70 to fit it.
I left it and just put Sellotape over it and sold it like that.

It's probably worth the cost on the d4 but I didn't see the point on spending that on an old d200.

I'll see what they quote me, if they takes the ****** then I might consider doing it myself, it's doesn't exactly look like rocket science

Back