Broken Canon 17-85 lens - worth anything?

Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
Morning Ladies & Gents,

As per title I have a very broken 17-85 that either wont focus or just throws up error 01 - I bought it a couple of years ago used from MPB and its (in my opinion) not worth getting repaired, Is it worth anything to anyone on here for them to fix them selves or for spares etc? Does anyone offer a cheaper repair option than a shop?

Sorry if I've put this in the wrong section..

Cheers,
Dave

This is an eBay listing you might find useful. Used it myself. Perfect result.

You should be able to pick-up a replacement for less than £40 (the cost of the eBay repair given above), it's not a particularly popular lens as a used purchase and doesn't sell for very much. Most places won't take them in p/ex. A wanted ad in the classifieds would turn up at least one, if not the choice of several.

I believe a common problem on these lenses is a broken internal ribbon connector.
These can be obtained quite cheaply (from a well known auction site) and replaced by the user - if you are bold enough to strip the lens down.
There are on-line videos showing the procedure.

Last edited:
I have just put a message in your inbox.

Ray

I hope it wasn't anything to do with trying to either buy the lens or sell the OP anything, as that is strictly not allowed - all trading MUST be carried out in the classifieds section of the forum, and as you're considerably light on qualifying posts, you're not eligeable to post in there...

I hope it wasn't anything to do with trying to either buy the lens or sell the OP anything, as that is strictly not allowed - all trading MUST be carried out in the classifieds section of the forum, and as you're considerably light on qualifying posts, you're not eligeable to post in there...

Message recieved and understood. I looked for the facility to send the OP a private email but assumed that service isn't available.

Loud & clear, didn't mean to break any rules mate. My apologies,

Back