Broken hard drive

Edit My Images
Yes
I. Bought a g tec hard drive on the classified forum as a spare that was in June I used it today for the first time and it doesn’t work my tech friend also confirmed this do I have any comeback on this

I'd say yes and / or no. Was it described as 'working'?

Is it an internal hdd, that you've installed, or an external?

Naked computer parts are sensitive to static through handling, and hdd's are vulnerable to dropping.

You have of course partitioned & formatted it?

Last edited:
None at all, first question would be was it working when you tested it on receipt of the item

It was an external hard drive described as perfect working order formatted for Mac and not tested when received

None at all, first question would be was it working when you tested it on receipt of the item
That might be the toughest viewpoint. But if it was bought as stated on this very forum, than a more gentle-personly dialogue might ensue.

Has the 'tech friend' installed hdd's before? Have all avenues of installation been tried?

Then has care been taken with static for an internal, and dropping for either?

Thereafter, a dialogue with the vendor might ensue. But because of elapsed time, the outcome might depend on their grace.

Just seen the last post!

So it's formatted for Mac, & that's what you have? That should be a head start!

Talk to the vendor. They might be sympathetic. Otherwise, you might have to write it off.

Can you remember how it was packed, etc?

Is it USB? Have you tried it in different ports?

Last edited:
I'm a reasonable person, but have to say in this case it would be a polite sorry nothing doing.
One of those things that I would expect to be tried out within a reasonable period after arrival

I have to say if I sold something I would not expect to hear from the purchaser 6 months later saying it did not work.

Gentle dialogue with no expectations that’s the route although he hasn’t been on here since he sold it maybe a fly by night person ahh well lesson learned thanks for your replies

I'm a reasonable person, but have to say in this case it would be a polite sorry nothing doing.
One of those things that I would expect to be tried out within a reasonable period after arrival
Yes I know that Rich, we're grasping for the dregs here ... but you never know until the end ...

when you say it does not work, what exactly do you mean. Does it mount on the desktop when plugged in ??? Can you see it in disk utility ??? it might just need initialising.

Might be obvious saying this, but have you tried it on a different computer and see if it has the same issues? Perhaps the USB drivers/controller on your system isn't compatible with the removable HDD.

If it shows in disk utility, then reformat (whatever they call that on OSX) and see if that makes a difference. It may be that there are no volumes on the disk?

I will Check those ideas and get back to you ,,again Thankyou for taking time out to reply.

The thing is, you've had it more than a reasonable amount of time, so if you didn't test it straight away, that's your fault. If you had bought it from a reseller s/h, they would probably have only given you a 3 month warranty - if that. You've had it for around 6 months.

Personally I would never buy a second hand drive. You have no idea how they have been treated. You can buy brand new drives at very reasonable prices.

It. Doesn’t show on the screen there is no sound but it shows up on disk utility
When in disk Utility, click on the name of the disk (left hand side window) and then go to the icon marked First Aid and click on that (might just need repairing) if that does not work then go back and click on it again (left window) and then click erase.
Have you got show all drives on desktop ticked (finder preferences) this allows you to see drive connected to your Mac.

I would not use it for important stuff until tested thoroughly if I were you though...

It was probably formatted to AFP not FAT or NTFS, in which case it wouldn't show up on a Windows computer. It will be fine now it's been formatted to use with a PC.

It was probably formatted to AFP not FAT or NTFS, in which case it wouldn't show up on a Windows computer. It will be fine now it's been formatted to use with a PC.

A HDD formatted to Linux also won't show up normally on Windows unless you go into disk management.

In my earliest years of having a PC at home (over 25 years ago), I had 2 separate Seagate drives that each failed within a month of their warantee expiring. Even though they were brought new Seagate were completely unhelpful.
I've never brought another seagate drive either at home or at work, and strangely have never had another drive failure.
Devices such as this should be tested on delivery. If it stopped working a week after delivery you MIGHT have some comeback but couldn't be confident of it. Six months later I'd say not a chance. Your best bet is that your techno-savvy friend isn't savvy enough.

All up and running i went into disk utility clicked on first aid then clicked erase then it said would i like to initialise said yes and bob s your uncle all sorted thankyoufor your help
Glad to have been of help.

Back