Broken shutter

Name
martin
Edit My Images
No
I think i have broken my shutter today :eek: the below photos (exif included) at the point it broke - i have over 500 shots with the same "lighting effect", although this disappears with very slow shutter speeds such as 1/2 second. If i look at the shutter with the mirror flipped up (its a canon 1d mk2 n by the way) the shutter looks OK - but i cant watch it in operation.

MJE89736.jpg

MJE89737.jpg

a crop of the above photo showing motion blur in the white zone only (1/1000th sec)

MJE89737crop.jpg

can anyone convince me it is not a shutter problem?

:eek: :thinking: thats not good is it? But I thought shutter curtain issues normally give horizontal lines? :shrug:

does that canon have mirror lock up for actually taking shots to prevent vibration blur where you can watch what its doing...or try to at least?

:eek: :thinking: thats not good is it? But I thought shutter curtain issues normally give horizontal lines? :shrug:

does that canon have mirror lock up for actually taking shots to prevent vibration blur where you can watch what its doing...or try to at least?

True if the camera is in landscape orientation but this was clearly in portrait orientation.

Looks like a trip to Canon with your camera!

horizontal till you turn the camera vertical...

I tried the mirror lock up; the shutter looks OK whilst shut, but the mirror returns so fast that you cannot see the second curtain.

if it was an old film camera i would have been able to see it from behind to check

true enough,
but the pics look like the camera was turned sideways anyway!!!

Looks like a trip to the canon repair shop. Anyone know how much this sort of thing can cost to repair (assuming it is a broken shutter?).

Looks like a trip to the canon repair shop. Anyone know how much this sort of thing can cost to repair (assuming it is a broken shutter?).

They don't repair as such - like most things these days, they just drop in a complete replacement shutter mechanism. Probably wont cost as much as you might think, perhaps 150 -200 quid. Top end cameras a bit more.

did they give you a price?
or will they take a look and do the "oh dear that'll be expensive" bit?

did they give you a price?
or will they take a look and do the "oh dear that'll be expensive" bit?

fixation will always quote, for free - all you need to pay for is postage and in this case they have said that they need to replace the shutter - which is what i thought - they have quoted £80 for the parts :) but £190 for the labour :( PLUS VAT ...:(:(:(
so the wrong side of £300
i have used fixation a number of times so i have told them to do the work, as i know i will get the camera back spotless and well packed and if i phone them i will be able to get answers to questions -

unlike canon(elstree)- who i phoned to get a comparison - give me strength - press 1 for this 2 for this 9 for this zzzzzzzzz
when i finally get through the lady cannot speak English at all well - she puts me through to another number which goes dead

i phone back ring ring ring press 1 for 2 for ring ring ring - i gave up

GET IT SORTED CANON :bang:

i thought i would try another canon authorised repairer Colchester camera repairs - just like fixation - good customer service a real English (sorry but it is the language we speak) helpful knowledgeable person gave me a quote - the price was better then fixation (-£20) - but to be fair to fixation they had the camera - Colchester were quoting blind. next time i need a repair i will try Colchester...

that's odd
I've only used Elstree once and they were exteremely helpful

Malla1962 has just had his shutter replaced on his 1D MkII by Canon, Elstree and it cost £186. His shutter count was only around 32k so Canon shared the cost as a goodwill gesture.

Yes it cost me £186 inc VAT and return postage, I also got a full service and calibration in with the price so I was happy.I will not use anybody but Canon Elstree.

I got a phone call today the camera is fixed with a new shutter, will be in the post tomorrow.

I'm going to speak to canon - my camera has less then 50k on the clock so the shutter should not have broke - but I'm not the original buyer so they may not be so helpful.

Back