brolly flash with tripod bush & gun accessory shoe

Name
Ken
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi Folks,
Many years ago in my film days I had a brolly flash which had on the end of the rod or handle an attachment for fixing the unit to a tripod, ie a 1/4 whitworth screw, and an accessory shoe for the gun, and which I disposed of when I thought I would have no further use for it. Now I am looking for another one, all I can see are brollys with a plain rod which are obviously designed to fit on a lighting stand. I don't really do enough portraits to warrant buying a lighting stand, but I do have a spare tripod. Does anyone know if such a unit as I first described is still available?

OK, so nobody has obviously heard of this, in which case, any suggestions as to how I can fix a brolly to a tripod. I know I can attatch the flash gun to the tripod by using the supplied stand on both my Nissin Di622 and Nikon SB600 but it still leaves me with the problem of attaching the brolly. I really don't do enough to warrant buying a lighting stand.
Any idea would be appreciated.
Ken

OK, I think what you might need is something like this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002W2WX7C/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00

I use them, cheap and they work a treat. You get the standard brolly, with the basic rod, stick it into this, tighten it up and stick the flash on the hot shoe mount. This will fit on most standard light stands.

You can buy a brolly, this bracket and light stand on amazon for about £25. They actually have the rio underneath the bracket I've linked. that is what I started out with. I still have the same set plus 2 more and better brollies.

Last edited:
OK guys,
Thanks very much for the info, I think the second item will be more what I am after when they are back in stock.
Cheers,
Ken

All you need is a spigot and an umbrella adapter and you can use a tripod, but unless it's an unusually tall tripod or your model is always going to be seated then the lighting might be a little, err "odd".

A Konig stand from Ebay or Amazon is pretty cheap and far better than faffing around with a tripod...

The link I gave earlier in thread has changed slightly. It still shows the right bracket, but the trio I mentioned, bracket, stand and brolly are gone from below it. But yeah, it was the Konig stand, that bracket and a shoot through brolly for £25. You couldn't go wrong.

Cagey75 said:
The link I gave earlier in thread has changed slightly. It still shows the right bracket, but the trio I mentioned, bracket, stand and brolly are gone from below it. But yeah, it was the Konig stand, that bracket and a shoot through brolly for £25. You couldn't go wrong.

That umbrella adapter is junk.

All you need is a spigot and an umbrella adapter and you can use a tripod, but unless it's an unusually tall tripod or your model is always going to be seated then the lighting might be a little, err "odd".

A Konig stand from Ebay or Amazon is pretty cheap and far better than faffing around with a tripod...

I'm not too concerned about having the model seated, I just want to take a few portraits of my granddaughter and that would probably be it, and as I have two tripods I didn't want to buy a lighting stand only to have to find somewhere to keep it when I have finished the session. The spigot and adapter sound like what I need, apart from not using much space when I've finished with them, any suggestions where I can obtain them please?
Thanks to everyone who took the trouble to reply.
Ken

That umbrella adapter is junk.

I've had one for 2 years .... I also have a manfrotto that cost £30, and tbh, it's no better. It's a lot heavier, but this means it could possibly topple over easier, you need to be using better stands for it really = more expense. Nothing wrong with that bracket I linked if you're after cheap, yet functional. I'm not sure how it could be "junk"? when it does the job.

Last edited:
Cagey75 said:
I've had one for 2 years .... I also have a manfrotto that cost £30, and tbh, it's no better. It's a lot heavier, but this means it could possibly topple over easier, you need to be using better stands for it really = more expense. Nothing wrong with that bracket I linked if you're after cheap, yet functional. I'm not sure how it could be "junk"? when it does the job.

I'll have to agree to differ with you there, I've also got one of these, and a Manfrotto ( and a few other makes as well) and these are probably the worst of the lot, save the one with the plastic coldshoe.Even at that price level there are far better out there.

madmardle said:
I'm not too concerned about having the model seated, I just want to take a few portraits of my granddaughter and that would probably be it, and as I have two tripods I didn't want to buy a lighting stand only to have to find somewhere to keep it when I have finished the session. The spigot and adapter sound like what I need, apart from not using much space when I've finished with them, any suggestions where I can obtain them please?
Thanks to everyone who took the trouble to reply.
Ken

You should be able to pick one up in Ebay, but if you can't drop me a pm and I'll dig one out for you (y)

I'll have to agree to differ with you there, I've also got one of these, and a Manfrotto ( and a few other makes as well) and these are probably the worst of the lot, save the one with the plastic coldshoe.Even at that price level there are far better out there.

It's all down to whatever works for you. Once it holds the flash steady, on a stand, that's all I really need ;) But you're right, there is better out there. But I got the impression OP wanted cheap and cheerful.

Cagey75 said:
It's all down to whatever works for you. Once it holds the flash steady, on a stand, that's all I really need ;) But you're right, there is better out there. But I got the impression OP wanted cheap and cheerful.

That was the problem, it wouldn't hold the flash securely. I can't remember which one it was though, it may have been the SB900, which has a thicker than normal foot. Either way, it wouldn't clamp down securely and, as I said, there's better out there for the same money.

You should be able to pick one up in Ebay, but if you can't drop me a pm and I'll dig one out for you (y)

Thanks Graham,
It is basically just to do a one off session with my granddaughter who has turned into a stunner and I wanted to do justice to her by getting the best I could do without lumbering myself with too much gear, not to mention the expence. The way I used to do it with a brolly and bouncing the flash into it worked fine for me, albeit everthing had to be worked out manually. I can't understand why no one does a brolly like the one I had, but obviously they don't, by the way I use a Nissin Di622 Mk.1 and I have just bought a Nikon SB600. The problem I have with e-bay is I don't do internet banking or have paypal, so if you can help me that would be great.
Cheers,
Ken

Back