Bronica ETRS

Had a 645 pro Mamiya, shot 2 rolls and fell out with oblong.
Bronica ETR system is a great kit, lots of accessories/interchangeability, and not too expensive, relatively speaking.

Had a ETRS many years ago. Camera c/w metering pentaprism 4 lenses , 3 backs, Polaroid back. Damn bag weighed a ton. Had it for 3 years shot a lot of neg and trannie. Got rid of it in the end as the whole kit was getting so heavy it wasn't fun anymore.

Still hanker for it now and again. Must say though my 5D does give better quality. Sorry but it's true.

Used a bronica etrs with pentaprism and a couple of lenses for weddings back in the nineties, nice camera. I hanker after a Mamiya RB67 that I used as well, a beast of a camera!

Ok done the scary thing and bought one...partner just rolled her eyes when i took it out the wrapping and went it takes film!

Need to download a manual to understand all the knobs and levers (old technology here).

Views on best sources of 120 film would be useful please together with any other advice on getting the best out of it alongside my dslr's.

Does it run on coal....:LOL:
They just don't get it, ya go all techno with playstation 3's, sat nav's and intranetzz, then out of the blue....film camera..:bang:

ETRSi manual is easy rightclick save as.

7DayShop.com have a good choice of film and sometimes do specials, as do SilverPrint, never had any trouble with either.
Buying in bulk is cheapest (pack of 5 or 10) but singles dont cost the earth.
I get most of my chemicals from SilverPrint and I like the simplicity of their site, 7day is a little crushed with ads.

Does it run on coal....:LOL:
They just don't get it, ya go all techno with playstation 3's, sat nav's and intranetzz, then out of the blue....film camera..:bang:

ETRSi manual is easy rightclick save as.

7DayShop.com have a good choice of film and sometimes do specials, as do SilverPrint, never had any trouble with either.
Buying in bulk is cheapest (pack of 5 or 10) but singles dont cost the earth.
I get most of my chemicals from SilverPrint and I like the simplicity of their site, 7day is a little crushed with ads.

I know maybe I should have got a d300 instead!

Got the manual, but struggling to find one for the AE-II prism although a blog I found seems to explain its working :thinking:

Thanks for the film sources so long as i can load them the right way round looks more complicated :shrug: that my old 35mm film cameras but similar to my first box brownie, a nice roll film rather than in a canister.

Next the fun begins as to whether the results the metering system gives me are good enough or whether I have to get a separate meter to more eye brow raising :LOL:

The metering on the brony will be far more reliable than anything you'd get on a modern 35mm style slr.

Don't forget, it's not trying to work anything out for you, or balance varying brightnesses across it's matrix. It's simply going to look at all the light coming through the lens and tell what exposure will render that "blend" to 18% grey.

It may be a stop or more out but it will be out by the same amount all the time. What you need to learn is when that bland of light matches the exposure you want and when it doesn't

It's well worth taking the time to really learn how the meter sees the world. Take a grey card out with you to start with and also make comparisons with a digi camera.

You'll really like using the ETR, it's a good camera and it will teach you to really see. (y)

Cheers mate will order one of them

Having read the other posts from Steve and Oreo on getting from camera to pc using roll film is this a correct interpretation in short:

Take pics and then either self process or send to lab;
Whichever process then need to scan the negs using flat bed scanner to use in PP on pc or get lab to stick then on disc for PP on pc.

Am i broadly correct or way off?

Cheers for any comments (y)

Am i broadly correct or way off?

You are broadly bang on sir. :)

Sending the films off for process and scan is a great way to keep it all simple BUT...... and this is sooooo important.....

you are not allowed to look at the disk until you've seen the slides/negs on the lightbox.

Dem's the rules! ;)

you are not allowed to look at the disk until you've seen the slides/negs on the lightbox.

Thought i was doing so well till I got to this bit....won't the negs have been scanned onto the disk by then...or is what you are saying that when i get them back I 'must' look at the originals first before I am tempted to look at the disk.....

....someone recommended in a thread Metro Imaging (which happens to be about 10mins walk from where i work in London) but they looked 'not cheap', any other recommendations for a process and scan service and Metro offered a disk at two different sizes the more MB the more expensive the service.

Cheers, hope you ok with me and all these questions :)

I 'must' look at the originals first before I am tempted to look at the disk.....

Yup. :D

otherwise you might as well just tape up the preview screen on a digi cam. ;)

Metro are just about the best and hence the cost. If I still had films of unrepeatable shoots, I'd drive over to metro for the processing. If it's not life or death, then postal processing is the way to go. I don't know who's good or reasonably priced at the mo but I'm sure someone here will.

As for scan size, I'd have them all done to a small file size. It will be fine for posting here, emailing and small prints. WHEN you get a wow! shot that needs to be made into a massive print, it's nicer to have it done from the slide/neg anyway.

Glad you enjoying going retro as it where. I still got my ETR which is a slightly older version, just the basic kit and prism viewfinder with out a lightmeter. Have to use my handheld meter. Been meaning to dig it out and give it a go again. Even looking at a couple of lenes I have seen second hand, as there seems to be a few on the market these days, with Bronica going out of business and general decline of film and particular medium format.

WOW ... this works for me I have used Canon gear for a few years and now have a 30D. Yesterday got a Bronica ETRS and today i find this web site. I havent used film in years. i think you all will be a lot of help. i have a question if anyone has the time.
Whats the difference between ETRS and the ETRSi.
Thanks all
Ed

I use something very similar to this one.

http://shop.colourconfidence.com/product.php?xProd=1822&jssCart=096e9f8aa42b17893ee1fca95a9d78fc

It's good for exposure, although you do obviously need to get in close for a meter reading. It's also great for shooting slide film. If you have this in the first frame from any shoot you do, it make getting the white balance on scans bang on sooooooo easy.

Would it be possible to include a bit of the grey card on the edge of the frame so that you can crop it out later after sorting the white balance. Would save on film?

Would it be possible to include a bit of the grey card on the edge of the frame so that you can crop it out later after sorting the white balance. Would save on film?

Yeah, I'm sure you could get very creative with hiding a tiny little colour balance patch in the shot somewhere if you didn't want to crop down at all. It only needs to be just big enough to get a clean selection on the PC later.

Back