Bronica SQ 150mm

Name
You can call me Sir.
Edit My Images
Yes
I recieved my 150mm from ffordes the other day and it's in even better condition than I was expecting. Not only was it boxed but it had the leather case for the lens and all the paperwork too, even the little plastic bronica bag to put the lens in.

I must say I'm surprised at how much the lens extends when focussing and how this effect the view, it's almost like a short zoom lens.

The other thing I noticed was the focussing distance and the effect it has on framing. I knew it was long at 1.5m but didn't realise the actual effect until the lens was in my hands. It's impossible to get a tight head shot with it (unless the subject has a massive heed;)). I've read about people recommending close up filters to reduce the minimum focussing distance to make it a better portrait lens but was hoping seeing as we have a few bronica users on here for some first hand experience and opinions.

If I do go for a close up lens who makes good ones (not cheap ones)?

Cheers,
Kev

I know the feeling, its a minor duffer not being able to fill a frame with head, its a close focussing limit, the 6 rangefinder is the same but you'd expect that with a rangefinder.
Never used an SQ, but that absolutely backs up the quibbles peeps have between the S and the SQ, I think the 500 series Bladds are a similar close focus distance.

Quote -
Close focusing to 18" with the 75/2.8 without accessories (try that with your Hassy)

There is a pay off though, focussing at the other end of the scale was a bit stretched out, like, say one full turn is full back to front focussing, the EC seemed to do all its focussing in the first 1/3 of a turn, the other 2/3's didn't really do a right lot, which left middle to distant subjects a bit iffy shot with big holes, or if you weren't paying proper attention to the focussing screen.
I think the focussing on that SQ will be much more linear, but you lose a bit of close focussing.
M/F is big enough that you can crop in head shots and still be 3 times the size of 35mm, I dunno about close-up lenses.
Depends how tight you are talking, I don't think there is anything else in a 6x6 box design that is as close focussing as the S2 & EC series, maybe the RB67 with its bellows can do it:shrug:
Sorry about the photo, its the only one I could find with scale:LOL:
From the shoulder -

my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

I didn't mention bellows for the SQ...."absolutely" as in, that's an idea (y)

Is it doable Grant ?, with bellows I mean, I always think of them in macro terms...

I didn't mention bellows for the SQ...."absolutely" as in, that's an idea (y)

Is it doable Grant ?, with bellows I mean, I always think of them in macro terms...

Bellows will indefinitely allow macro shots.

I shot this picture on a LF Camera @ 150mm with 2x bellows extensions on (literally about 70cm in bellows extension)

3098081730_3f77128b40.jpg

They're all wires that are about 3-4mm in thickness, so it gets in crazy-close.

BUT

bellows aren't just for macro, and I'm sure Ansel Adams didn't shoot much macro stuff, despite having bellows on his camera ;)

So it's just a case of experimenting with how extended the bellows need be. Although I've never seen any Bellows Attatchements for Bronny's. Care to link me? I'd be interested in trying myself

Cheers for the input chaps. I'm not sure bellows are the way to go for me but I might pick up a cheap filter on ebay to see if it has the desired effect and then buy a decent one if it does.

Back