Bronny ETRS (size)

H

Hoodi

I'm thinking of picking up a 6*4.5 kit to compliment my Mamiya RB67. The Mamiya is the danglies and I don't have any issues with shooting it handheld, but there are times when I'm shooting concept stuff with it that will never go any further than a contact sheet and it feels like... Overkill.
I considered picking up a Nikon FM or similar (probably still will, I'm moving further and further away from the automation of my modern kit hehe) but I'd rather keep concept stuff that will end in MF as MF to begin with. Yes.

Anyway I like the look of the Bronica ETRS but I've never used one. I would get a MF rangefinder but the pay for this months work (when I get it >.<) only covers rent & something cheaper than a rangefinder...

So how big is the ETRS? I've used a Bronica SQ-A fairly extensively, really like them. Is the ETRS a bit smaller than an SQ-A?
Does anyone have any other recommendations for a 6*4.5 setup? Which can be had for <£150 second hand?

Well, since you already have a Mamiya you could consider a 645. Have a look on ebay, I got mine with a host of goodies from there and I'm well chuffed with it.

I'm sure you can get a 645 back for the RB67?

The RB67 SD has just been discontinued by Mamiya btw - they're just going to produce the RZ . New prices of RBs are down to daft money while stocks last.

:thinking: Maybe it's been a long day but I didn't understand a word of this hehe

What is the main differecne between a Bronica ETRS and Bronica SQ-A. Is one overall better than the other?! I think I found a SQ-A in my local camera shop as it has a orange ring around the front of the lens. I don't really know?! :(

What is the main differecne between a Bronica ETRS and Bronica SQ-A. Is one overall better than the other?! I think I found a SQ-A in my local camera shop as it has a orange ring around the front of the lens. I don't really know?! :(

I'm sure Dazzajl or somene will be along to enlighten you shortly - I'm not really up on Bronica stuff, although I think the SQ is the later camera, but 'better' doesn't really come into it with these cameras, they'll all do the bizz, it just depends whether you want niceties like metered heads and auto features etc.

Have a look here

CLICKY

Good point - wouldn't you have to guess the frame markings, though? Plus crop factor would mean my lenses are a bit skewed. Hmmm.

There's a different screen available Hoodi with the frame markings for 645

ooh ooh ooh .... hot ears.... ;)

I personally would rather have a mamiya 645 over the ETRs. There is nowt wrong with the baby bronny but I've never liked the feel of it as much as the SQ cameras. The SQ is a great camera, it's basic and blocky and does what it says on the tin. It's not sexy like the blads are and also, does a 6x6 compliment the RB as much as a 6X45?

If it was my rent money being frittered... a mamiya 645 without a doubt. A much bigger lens choice than the bronny too. :)

I had a Mamiya 645 1000S years ago - great camera - but no mag back - lots of panicky film changing under pressure! I dunno much about later models at all, but some good points there by Daz, the lenses available now on the 2nd hand market for these cameras is enormous.

I dunno much about later models at all

It seems like there are hundreds of varities between the one you had and the current 645 AFD II, which was built to take on the blad H cameras. It doesn't btw.... but don't tell mamiya that. ;)

Actually, I'm probably doing it a mis-service, if you look at the math, 85% of the camera for 30% of the price is going to work out well for lots of snappers..... and mamiya optics are not to be sneezed at.

Certainly not, you'd have sneeze all over your lens then :s

Uhhhh there seem to be lots and lots of different Mamiya 645's - anybody have a handy lowdown of them all? :D

All I can tell you for sure is that they all take the same lenses. I'm fairly sure they all take the same backs too.

Don't even be tempted by the idea of the AFD unless you're going to be looking to go digi. The AF works but if you've ever used a 35mm style camera you'll never, ever use it.

Nah it's the MF ones I'd be looking at, not even a little bit tempted by the AF's, even if I did have the dollar!

Of course there is one more option but it's not where the clever money sits......

If you want a really really good camera with world leading optics and you're happy to let your heart lead you into an obsolete system

The Contax 645 is a DREAM to use. :)

Heh, I'm sure it is - but part of the point if I do get a 645 camera (as opposed to the suggested back) would be to have something a bit more compact. Which the Contax isn't, really.
Plus it's about 6 times outside my budget.

There is the super and the pro within the 645 manual lineup (there may be more but those are the ones I know of!)
The super came first and the pro was beefed up a little. Things like the winding mechanism were made stronger. I have a super and it's a real treat! One day I'll get soem decent pics out of it, at the moment it's my fault, not the 645. I'm incompetent! :)

I'm sure Dazzajl or somene will be along to enlighten you shortly - I'm not really up on Bronica stuff, although I think the SQ is the later camera, but 'better' doesn't really come into it with these cameras, they'll all do the bizz, it just depends whether you want niceties like metered heads and auto features etc.

Have a look here

CLICKY
SQ = square ie 6cm x 6cm
ETR = ? ie 6cm x 4.5

I've had both SQ and ETRS in my past life. I originally bought a 2nd hand SQ and thought it was great. I part ex'ed that for a new ETRSi (manly to get a reasonably priced auto prism finder)and completely fell in love with it. The ETRS was a perfect camera. I shot all kinds on it for years and never once had a moments problem with it. ETRS everytime.

I had a couple of Mamiya C220 twin lens reflex cameras too. I absolutely loved everything about them - except the square format! No-one wants square wedding pics, so you always had to allow for cropping when framing the shots and hoping you got it right when the lab printed them up.

Still some nice ones about though, and going for peanuts now.

I love my ETRS. It's small, compact, brilliantly built, and good for nice quality negs. (for its size)

Get it!

Get square...its...its....speshal
I cant go to oblong ever again,:shrug:

Hoodi I've a Mam 645 1000s ,80mm f2.8, choice of prisms, winder, grip etc if you want to try out.
Live down the road from you, New Inn - Panteg. Pm me if interested, I can drop it out to the
"res" if you want.

There's a different screen available Hoodi with the frame markings for 645

Sorry Hoodi that was a bit misleading - it seems there's a 645 mask which drops over the focusing screen.

Ffordes are currenty showing a 645 mask for 6 quid and a 645 Mamiya back for 36 quid!

Back