Critique Bronze Beetle

Name
Tim
Edit My Images
Yes
Well I haven't been able to spend much time on my photography recently, but I did spend some time reviewing old stacks. This was from a few weeks ago, and I managed to get a few from different angles of this subject, but I was experimenting with different apertures and trying to allow for more ambient lighting. Quite often my experiments don't work, so this was the only result I was halfway happy with. I had reverted to my usual full flash setup for this, slightly underexposed to keep the highlights down.

15 images @ ~4-5magnification (i think) it was about 5mm in length I reckon anyway....
Bronzed by Tim.Garlick, on Flickr

Welcome back ;) lol

Will check out this 100% on flickr but looks great on here

What was the aperture used?

Don't know if you have an ID but I shot one like it last year will see if I can dig out the scientific name for you :D

Lighting is controlled to perfection mate. Composition is great.

I dunno about being halfway happy Timmy, I'd be very pleased if that shot was mine. Good composition and lighting, plenty of detail and a really good stack. Great stuff.(y)

George.

Thanks guys!

Bryn, aperture was F7.1, 15 images in total. Closest ID I got to was Bembidion sp. there are a few similar ones, and I only got to the family based on the colour and size. Let me know if you can shed any more light!

Cheers

Hi Tim, I 1st saw this on Flickr and was blown away with the detail, just WOW (y)

Hi Tim, I 1st saw this on Flickr and was blown away with the detail, just WOW (y)

Thanks guys!

Hi Tim

The stack on the beetle is nicely done. What I find distracting is the foreground. I wonder if you had a shot with some of this in focus from one of the 15 so you could merge it in more naturally ?
Thanks Chris. I think I should have at least "some" slices with more of the foreground in focus, and I think you are right. What I tend to do it focus attention on the subject, but it would look better with more detail in the surrounding environment. This is often a challenge, as when stacking (particularly handheld) you have to compensate for subject movement and how it moves around in frame (handshake) you don't often get enough of the surrounding environment to make it work (you end up with radial "streaks" of blur that just look wrong).

In this example, zerene actually errored when processing the stack because there was too much subject movement and it began to fall off the bottom of the frame. To resolve this I went back into Lightroom and did a tight crop of the subject image, which I duplicated across the rest of the frames (manually adjusting the crop so they all were lined up in a similar way). This meant that there was less movement of the subject in frame and zerene was able to process them successfully. After this I removed the crops in lightroom, and pasted by processed stack over one of the frames in PS, blending the edges to bring back the surrounding environment. I actually have the option of blending in some other frames to bring back some of the foreground detail, so I might revisit this and give it a try.

Sometimes it just doesn't look right, as the drop off between the sharp and OOF focus areas is very severe at these magnifications and apertures. Fortunately I've been doing further research and I may have hit upon a solution. I noticed some other "stackers" I've been following on flickr, detail how their stacks have been but together and you sometimes see things like this:

"40 images F/4, 2 images F/13"

I wondered what the reason for the higher aperture images were for and it turns out it is precisely for this issue. It seems if you take a couple of wider DOF frames, you can include these to improve the appearance of the surrounding background and perhaps more importantly the transition between the sharp and OOF areas look more natural. I assume there may be issues with the camera movement when adjusting the aperture, or matching the exposure (I usually shoot with ETTL so hoping this won't be too much of an issue) but this is something I want to start trying with future stacks. Hopefully you will begin to see an improvement!

Thanks very much for the feedback, good to know it aligns with my own thoughts on the matter and I hope I have found a good way to try to rectify in future :)

Superb Tim, it has a setting sun quality about it with the reduced flash.

Very interesting - I had heard of people taking a "scene shot" and then merging it with the stack. I can see how doing 2 F13 images would help with fore and background. Will have to give this a go, either on a still subject or if possible something that stays still enough in the wild.

I was just looking through my bugs book with the girls and came across your beetle.

It appears to be a rainbow greenclock : poecilus versicolor

Superb light and colours as well as detail on the beetle
I agree with Chris about the out of focus area in the bottom right
I think if it were possible to get it to look like the area in the top left it would be more balanced
not nit-picking though its a great shot:)

Back