Browser hanging and will not respond

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
My PC is running windows 7 and I have the latest updates.
In the last few weeks whilst (I thought) using Google Chrome the Browser would lock up nothing I did would recover chrome unless I shut sown the PC by turning it off at the wall, the PC would not shutdown otherwise. I decided to uninstall Chrome and try firefox and even internet explorer, I have changed firewall, tried a different modem, turned off both the firewall and Antivirus but the problem persists with which ever method Ive tried. Trying to use the Task manager to end the program has no effect. The browser may last 5 hrs before locking up or 10mins. I can run any other program without issue, Only programs using the internet are affected, google earth for instance. I am at a loss as to where the problem lies.

1st thing for me would be to run CCleaner & Malwarebytes free.

Thanks, Apologies though, I should have pointed out that I ran Ccleaner and Spybot, Both cleaned but the probelm is still there. Also taken the PC back to an earlier restore point.

Last edited:
If it were me, I would probably make a backup and take this as an opportunity to upgrade to Windows 10, since Windows 7 no longer receives security updates. Free upgrades still seem to be available:

https://www.zdnet.com/article/heres-how-you-can-still-get-a-free-windows-10-upgrade/

A clean installation should solve any issues, provide you with an up to date system, and might be quicker than diagnosing the current problem. I had a W7 laptop that suffered from various mysterious freezes, which this cured.

Yes defo update.

You seem to know what you're doing from reading what you've tried already.

At the moment you're wide open to new malicious attacks.

Don't do any ebuying or banking on it will you?

try typing cmd in the run dialogue box.
type sfc/scannow on that screen, and let it run through.
Thanks for your help, The scan came up with no issue's,
I'm going to back-up and upgrade to 10.
Thanks for everybody's help

Last edited:
Hard lock ups are usually to do with hardware and/or drivers, most likely the SSD or the memory.

So I suggest running disk checker to scan for bad sectors, and use something like Memtest86 to check the memory.

It probably happened in the browser simply because you use it most.

Thanks all who replied. I scanned the PC for bad sectors and there was nothing to report, so I upgraded to windows 10 via the link on here and fingers crossed all now seems fine.

Back