BSB at Brands

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, haven't been on in a while, but I'm off work for a couple of weeks and thought I'd go back over some of this years shots.

I dug out some of the Brands round of BSB in April, although I'm having a few problems loading them up to the site, but here goes...

Karl Harris
harris21.jpg

Cal Crutchlow

Crutchlow-01.jpg

I've got a few more I'll add to the thread when I get them in the right size etc...

Edit:

OK, got it sussed now.....

I bet he'll have a headache in the morning !

ooops.jpg

James Haydon
haydon.jpg

Chris Walker
stalker03.jpg

Please feel free to comment - but go easy on me, please......

Really like the Harris and Crutchlow shots - did you take these at druids?

Yeah, I know "everyone" goes there, and it's a bit overdone, but you can get so close to the bikes at Druids.

I have tried other parts of the circuit, but unless you get there early, you can never get any decent shots.

I didn't even bother for the WSB meeting, which is a shame as I'm a big Toseland fan.....

I like shot 2 very detailed

Good attempt at difficult shots.

Just wondering, are some of these crops as they seem to be missing some of that 'wow' factor the colours on bike leathers and fairing can offer. Look a little bit soft on the detail, this can probably be sorted with a little sharpening in Photoshop.

Number 4 I can't quite make out what is going on, is he giving it some effort or is he on a cool down lap and isn't leaning as much as he should?

Think my favourite is the last one it just needs a bit of sharpening as they all do I think.

Hi Tom,

Yes, they're all cropped a bit, by 75-300 IS lens doesn't get me a close as I would like, even at Druids.

The "close ups" are done purposely to focus on the rider and the detail, rather than the whole bike.

Number 4 is actually taken coming out of Druids, he's standing the bike up and putting the power on, that's why it looks like it's squatting on the rear.

I felt that the sharpness isn't brilliant in the shot of Stalker, but I liked the picture, the way the bike is all out of shape as he gives it a load of right hand a little early.

I was a VIP visitor of the Rizla team latter in the season at Donnington, and I printed this one off and Chris Walker signed it. It's hanging on the wall next to my monitor :D

Good attempt at difficult shots.

Just wondering, are some of these crops as they seem to be missing some of that 'wow' factor the colours on bike leathers and fairing can offer. Look a little bit soft on the detail, this can probably be sorted with a little sharpening in Photoshop.

Number 4 I can't quite make out what is going on, is he giving it some effort or is he on a cool down lap and isn't leaning as much as he should?

Think my favourite is the last one it just needs a bit of sharpening as they all do I think.

Just from a purely personal viewpoint...

I love your first couple really getting close in on the action.... BUT... I always try to avoid an arbitary crops - ie not keeping the aspect ratio.

I also have used a 70-300 (yes slightly different lens but...) in exactly the same place... for example this is 190mm right at the exit corner of Druids:

1555607849_1cc4cbe605.jpg

desantnik,

Thanks for the feedback. Here is an uncropped pic of Kiyo from the same set. I see where you're coming from, it's just that I wanted to make the most of the detail.

kiyo_full.jpg
[/IMG]

As you can see, I lost the tail end - need to improve my panning technique ;)

Ok, but take your shot you just posted, crop it keeping the original (aka "normal") 3:2 aspect ratio and you get something like this:

Untitled-1.jpg

(let me know if you want me to take that down once you have seen it - its your pic!)

It still looks like a photo, you can still print it like a whole photo and just is, well, more pleasing to some people's eyes.

Use the crop tool in photoshop with a 6:4 ratio to do that.

The artibitary crop (ie just cutting out a square or other non-3:2 shape) has its place, but only when making use of photos in publications.

I expect to be denounced as a photo-heretic now :bonk:

No, that's fine, I was, to be honest, trying to get as much of the image into the 800 x 800 limit on the site.

For general use, I quite often use the crop too to keep the photo's the same scale, or on some occasions, when I print to a 7x5, I make up a select box to that size and modify the image size to get a "good fit".

Back