Moved
Edit My Images
No
36601695620_de53cb88cb_b.jpg

Last edited:
Wow those are super sharp, nice work there:clap:
What setup you using?

Hi

Using a Nikon D500 (best action camera I have owned) with Sigma 150-600 S lens or Nikon 200-500 lens.
Then basic workflow in PSE15.

Last edited:
Some great shots there Paul. Interested in how you find the Sigma for motorsport.Looks like it can give good results, how do you find it for reliable focussing ?

As above Paul super sharp are these through the fence ? 1,6,9+12 for me mate nice work.

Hi Gaz. Thanks for your comments. All shot through the fence except Farmer and Irwin (10 & 12) which were taken inside of Redgate.

Some great shots there Paul. Interested in how you find the Sigma for motorsport.Looks like it can give good results, how do you find it for reliable focussing ?

Thanks Neil. Well that's a good question about the Sigma and apologies for the long answer. I only attended this week-end to compare the two lenses mentioned. Last year when I bought the Sigma it was a Canon fit as I had a Canon 7D Mark II body. The 7D II drove me mad (had 3 different bodies), I know people that have bought it and it does a good job for them but I just couldn't get anything tack sharp. I threw my rattle out of the pram and sold all of my Canon gear and went for the Nikon D500 and D750. As said above the D500 has put a broad grin on my face since purchasing it is so forgiving and tack sharp. I then bought the Nikon 200-500mm and decided to get the Sigma converted to a Nikon fit. Sigma do a service where they send it back to Japan and convert a lens from Canon to Nikon and vice versa. I paid £289 for that and this is the first time I have properly shot with it at superbikes.

OK then, onto the lens. It is heavy and built like a tank, it focusses quickly and generally keeps fixed on the subject with the high speed burst (I tend to delete the first and last in a burst). I ended up using it more than the Nikon and reviewing the images I think the Sigma just shades the Nikon images. Most of the images I have posted above are shot at 600mm so you can see that the fall off at the long end is acceptable to impressive. However, the Sigma did have a couple of times during the day when it stopped focussing and I had to switch it to manually focus to get it back working. Not sure if this is a trait of the lens, dirty contacts or if it is because of the switch from Canon to Nikon. It does have a three year warranty so I may get it looked at for peace of mind.

If I was given either lens I would be happy to shoot with either but now I have both I am still undecided which, if any, to sell. I do a few air displays in the summer where maybe the Nikon 200-500 would be better due to its lighter weight.

You have probably read articles in Digital Camera, N-Photo and several other on-line sites and they all conclude that the Sigma 150-600 Sport is the best on test.

I hope this helps!

Last edited:
Thanks for the background on the Sigma Paul, I'm interested as I'm considering getting something a bit longer, particularly for the bikes. I've seen plenty of examples of what it can do with static birds etc so Its good to see some motorsport shots and how well it stands up against your Nikon. Hope the focussing doesn't become an issue for you.

Hi Paul...great shots...can you give us a heads up on the settings you were using for a couple of the shots...? Say 7 & 12 for example....thanks!

Hi Peter,

7. Shakey image: 400mm F6.3 : 1/500sec : ISO 140
12. Irwin image: 360mm : f7.1 : 1/500sec : ISO 100

Then Photoshop Elements: Enhance: Auto Smart Fix, Lighten shadows usually between 20-35, Sharpen around 50. If there is too much grain use a Topaz DeNoise filter.

Hope this helps

Paul

Thanks Paul ...always interested to learn what people are using etc... had to smile I completely mis read the "shakey" comment till I flicked back to the image and saw who it is..... not a good sign laughing at urself in an empty room....:ty:

Back