Bsb Testing Oulton Park 22.04.16

Edit My Images
No
Hi all ,

Here is a few i got from Oulton Park yesterday during the BSB testing day. I came away with loads if images but im slowly going through them all now. I dont think i have managed aswell as some others from what i have seen online but im hoping to improve as i go. Thanks, Dave.

1 - Dan Linfoot 1 by OHaraCreative, on Flickr

2 - Helmet Design by OHaraCreative, on Flickr

3 - Hickman 1 by OHaraCreative, on Flickr

4 - Hopper 3 by OHaraCreative, on Flickr

5 - Hutchy 1 by OHaraCreative, on Flickr

Nice set of pics Dave liking the Tommy Hill shot 4 is my pick of the bunch do you mind if I ask where you this was taken and was it speccy side ? as I am heading up to Oulton in Sept for BSB

Thanks Gaz , Yes , i took it by the marshall post under the bridge were you cross over the main straight. It was a good thing that most of the track was closed off as it forced me to try different areas than the ones i would go to.

Some nice pics mate. I like the shot of Hopper..

I prefer the pitlane stuff but Im not a fan of bikes. I like Oulton Park, especially the area around Lodge and Deer Leap.

I prefer the pit lane stuff but Im not a fan of bikes. I like Oulton Park, especially the area around Lodge and Deer Leap.

I normally never do any pit lane stuff but i read a article which mentions about trying to capture the event an make people feel like they were there so i took a lot of images from the pits of various things an im really pleased with them. I enjoyed it a lot to as i was focusing on something else that i hadn't really put much thought into.

Great set, Love the shot of Hill, I'm going to be at oulton park this weekend for the 2nd round. where would you say is the best place(s) to shoot from?

Great set, Love the shot of Hill, I'm going to be at oulton park this weekend for the 2nd round. where would you say is the best place(s) to shoot from?
I hope I'm not butting in...

Inside or outside of Lodge, on the rise up Deer Leap (just on from Lodge).
New raised spectator banking at the top of Clay Hill is good for catching high-speed wheelie moments. They are REALLY motoring at that point and you only have about two seconds to pick them up and get a shot.
Down The Avenue and into Cascades can be goo, but the sun is against you in the morning. I've not shot from the outside of the track there, but it might be interesting there.
On the exit of Knickerbrook can be good, the bikes are almost coming straight at you if you have a long enough lens.
My favourite spot is inside Druids, but that's closed off to public access at the moment.
Another great spot is down the far end of the circuit by Foulston's Chicane (or whatever it's called these days), but it is a good walk depending on where you're parked. On your way there, you'll walk past Hill Top, where again you may well get high-speed raised front wheel. The bikes reach about 160mph over Hilltop, so you have to be in the right place and be quick on the trigger.

Good luck..

New raised spectator banking at the top of Clay Hill is good for catching high-speed wheelie moments. They are REALLY motoring at that point and you only have about two seconds to pick them up and get a shot.
Down The Avenue and into Cascades can be goo, but the sun is against you in the morning. I've not shot from the outside of the track there, but it might be interesting there.
On the exit of Knickerbrook can be good, the bikes are almost coming straight at you if you have a long enough lens.
My favourite spot is inside Druids, but that's closed off to public access at the moment.
Another great spot is down the far end of the circuit by Foulston's Chicane (or whatever it's called these days), but it is a good walk depending on where you're parked. On your way there, you'll walk past Hill Top, where again you may well get high-speed raised front wheel. The bikes reach about 160mph over Hilltop, so you have to be in the right place and be quick on the trigger.

Good luck..

What Glenn said lol...

Will druids still be closed this weekend? i was going up either Sat or Sunday and was hoping to try there. Taking one of the guys i tog with at Three Sisters, he has never been or shot bikes before.

Last edited:
What Gary said lol...

Will druids still be closed this weekend? i was going up either Sat or Sunday and was hoping to try there. Taking one of the guys i tog with at Three Sisters, he has never been or shot bikes before.

The sign said it was closed for maintenance work and would be out for most of the 2016 season. :(

PS who's Gary.... ;)

Dammit i get people mixed up all the time. Sorry Glenn. lol.

I hope the outer area is open and not closed towards Knickerbrook and Foulstons...Can get some really nice straight on shots there.

Lol, no problem. Call me anything you like, just don't call me late for dinner... :)

The area over the bridge to Knickerbrook and beyond should be open this weekend.

Nice set of pictures

Was at oulton today for a trackday and now even the first corner is closed off to
the public due to maintenance work .

Nice set of pictures

Was at oulton today for a trackday and now even the first corner is closed off to
the public due to maintenance work .

Hmm.. that's not good.

As much as you are talking about little bikes for spectator photography do the vantage points also apply to the upcoming big boys BTCC round [emoji6]

As much as you are talking about little bikes for spectator photography do the vantage points also apply to the upcoming big boys BTCC round [emoji6]
Not sure what you're trying to say by using the terms 'little bikes' and 'big boys BTCC'....

In terms of photographing cars vs bikes at Oulton, in my view the vantage points are a little different for cars.

Hilltop and the track immediately after the Pirelli Bridge where the bikes have the front wheel in the air, are less interesting for cars. Sure they are cracking on, but nothing much happens and you can get just as good panning shots at slower parts of the circuit. That said, BTCC are slower at those points than the Superbikes (which get up to about 160mph) so it's not especially difficult to get decent pans there, just that there's not a lot of interest. Good spectacle if you're watching as you get a good impression of how quick the cars/bikes are.

Wheels or knees over the kerbing at Knickerbrook, Foulston's and Lodge can be fun for cars and bikes. Braking zones into Knickerbrook and Lodge can get tight and interesting for cars with lockups, blocking, rubbing door handles. Old Hall can be full of action at the start, but that may not be accessible according to the post above.

On race days, getting a decent spot can be a bit of a scrum.

Last edited:
Only a little jest.

Thanks for giving your time to provide a detailed response

Good luck..
brilliant thanks so much this has helped. saves me walking round and standing in the wrong places

Saves me walking round and standing in the wrong places
Oh I don't know about that.... LOL :)

To be honest, one of the easiest ways to find the best spots is to look for a bunch of togs toting white lenses, the bigger the better ;)

Back