BT Mesh replacement

Name
Graham
Edit My Images
Yes
I've got BT broadband and a couple of their mesh discs. Whilst the coverage is ok, there does seem to be a lot of connection problems when the discs are on, which I've seen others online complain about. The router itself is fine, it's only when the discs are on.

Could anyone recommend a good alternative to these discs for a nice reasonably priced and seamless mesh setup to go with my BT Router? Ideally as easy to setup as possible.

Thanks

I recently picked up a couple of tp-link deco M5 mesh disks from the sales section on this forum and its worked flawlessly so far. I have turned my virgin router to only act as a modem and use the deco M5s as the only network in the house. Before buying these I had a number of blindspots/dead spots and the coverage was really bad. Not to mention the virgin router just couldn't handle more than 8-9 devices even though specs claim it can handle quite a bit more.
The setup is really easy and simple, done through a phone app.

Last edited:
Heavens, you must both have very large houses. I have one old home hub and can access it anywhere, including from the garden. :)

Heavens, you must both have very large houses. I have one old home hub and can access it anywhere, including from the garden. :)

Not really just a standard ol' 3-bed semi.
I still don't have proper coverage in the garden but we have an extension and we get signal there.

I have some new linksys velops, comes with 3 devices. I haven't posted for sale but are available. If you are interested?

Same here.

I am very pleased with my Deco ones.

Not overly huge, but pretty solid interior walls, sandstone exterior walls and fire doors. It's mainly the rear camera which needs a very strong signal, at the moment BT disc has to be about two metres away with line of sight. The camera obviously has crap internals but it is what it is at the moment.

I'm another deco owner - I now have utterly reliable signal all over the house and garage, never had any dropouts, and I live in a castle with about 17 bedrooms. Roughly.

I use the Amplifi mesh system, (the white one) it's excellent but not cheap

I have 2 BT mesh units and have no connection issues, Im not sure how they mesh with the router itself, with my virgin router i would of had a Virgin wifi signal and BT Mesh wifi signal. gear could connect to each one so may drop one and connect to the other which could be the reason for issues. ive turned the wifi off on the router so I only have wifi from the BT mesh units and have no issues with connection at all.

I've got three Deco M9+, went for them over the M5 to gain the dedicated secondary 5Ghz channel for interconnect between discs - very pleased with them, get a strong signal on all 3 floors and out in the garden.
What you need does depend on your particular circumstances and house build / layout - I was wavering between the M5 and M9+, but them Amazon did a good deal on the M9+, so I went for the more powerful option.

I have 2 BT mesh units and have no connection issues, Im not sure how they mesh with the router itself, with my virgin router i would of had a Virgin wifi signal and BT Mesh wifi signal. gear could connect to each one so may drop one and connect to the other which could be the reason for issues. ive turned the wifi off on the router so I only have wifi from the BT mesh units and have no issues with connection at all.
Was going to say the same, if the OP hasn’t done, the Wi-Fi on the router needs turning off. We have three disks and no issues whatsoever

Cheers all, I'll look into the router thingy first and then if no cigar I'll change the discs.

Back