BTCC Brands Hatch Practice and Support Races

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
All sorts of weather yesterday, but no snow at least. Brands is a bit of a mudbath at the moment. Anybody heading to BSB next weekend, make sure you've got some decent boots!

Anyway on to my pics. I spent a while in the morning getting stock type shots, then spent the rest of the day experimenting in different locations. Bit annoyed I forgot my star effect filter for the headlight shots. I was also getting some strange lens flare effects which you can see in the Jordans shot underneath the wing mirror - I think this was my teleconverter.

All with D300 and a mixture of 70-200 and 300/f4 with 1.4x converter...

#1 Jordans into Druids

#2 Darren Turner pan

#3 Paddock Clios

#4 Ginettas

#5 Sparking Formula Renault

#6 Grasstracking Clio

I agree the place is a right mess at the mo, just got back not impressed with the new fence, and super high advertising hoardings that where installed in the last corner.

Some nice shots there

Some cracking shots there, the Darren Turner pan is probably my favourite. As for the lens flare, do you have a UV/Skylight filter on your lens? That would probably be the cause if so.

Where is the new fence? I was there for the first time last season shooting a Renaultsport trackday and found a great little angle (linked below) at Surtees but I rarely see pics from this angle, is it closed off for actual events?

http://chrisharrison.smugmug.com/photos/153358374-L.jpg

Cheers all and thanks for the positive comments. ;)

I didn't have any filters attached. I always found they had a detrimental affect. I've never used the 1.4x Kenko before, so I can only figure it was that. Could have also been something to do with Druids fencing.

Must admit I didn't see any new fences from 2007. Though the Dunlop hoardings did get in my way around Clearways.

Chris, the spot at Surtees is a fave of mine. Apart from the hoardings at WSBK last year it's a great position. Always fairly quiet and better still on the GP circuit as they're going slower into a proper left hander. Better still with bikes as you can get in closer and eliminate the armco.

The fence at McLearns/ Clear way is new, ok just a replacement for the one that was there, but the new construction uses a much thicker wire which makes it a great deal harder to get a image that isnt effected by it.

Must admit that's the first time I've been round to try Clearways. We did notice that the fence had far smaller holes than other parts of the track. Didn't realise it was new.

Tis a shame we are all becoming fence experts at these tracks. I was always quite happy with a low fence and "motorsport is dangerous" sign.

Yeah i was happy too as will any tog minded folk, but Brands has to have standards due mainly to the DTM's at present, hense the recovery pen in the same area, which also reduces viewing areas.

Very nice shots there.

Were you behind the fences for these shots or did you have a press pass?? also how busy are the practice days??

Really nice action filled shots, great stuff. Particularly like the sparks of the Formula Renault.

Cheers guys.

Dal, I was in the public areas, there are still a few areas with no catch fencing. Saturday was pretty quiet, no trouble at all getting to good vantage points. You also find that quite often the cars are on track for longer with more photo opportunities.

I agree, Mike Jordan - top guy.

Great pics BTW.

Steve...

Back