BTTC season opener Donington 22nd March - any good?

Name
Phil
Edit My Images
Yes
as title,
I'm down to go for the afternoon, is it called the media day?

what should I expect?

is there much fast track action?

where's best to stand?

The last time i went we were shepherded into one section on the infield right where the start finish line was. Big fences and with cars nipping in and out of the pits you couldn't really see the cars much. There is still a bit of running though. This was whilst the track alterations were going on though, last year might have been different.

Oh I hope it's a bit better than that this year, I've also paid for hospitality too :/

i go to some rallys at donnington there is a nice gap in the fencing at the top of the craner curves you can get some good shots from there,hope that helps

The morning is spent mostly in the pits with the cars being unveiled and media interviews. Then there is a 'class of 2016' shot and a shot of all the cars on the grid, and once that has been done, all the teams present will start testing.

Spectators should have reasonable access but getting shots without fences in the way will be a bit of a challenge, but not impossible. They will be using the National circuit, not the longer Grand Prix circuit with the added hairpin.

If they are opening the centre of the circuit there should be more options here as well.

The big unknown is the weather. If its one thing or the other, i.e. dry or wet, then you'll see more. If its changeable you may not see that much action - but then again some people want mileage on the cars rather than finessing a Donington Park setup.

Last edited:
Anyone know if this season ALL the infield will be open ? seems like forever that half of it has been fened off :(

Wish it was - think they've spoiled the circuit with all the catch fencing they put up and you couldn't get to places on the infield you used to be able to

They have only confirmed that the infield will be fully open for the BTCC race meet in April. I don't think they have said one way or the other if it will be open Tuesday though.

I'll be there picking up my media pass [smugmode] . I've got no idea on what areas will be open but the latest timetable has testing from 13:00 to 17:00

Until 5pm? That's good then, last year I'm sure they finished a bit earlier than that but that may have been because it started raining - I'll probably pick my kid up from school and head there for a bit if it definitely is on until 5.

The timetable says 5pm but it all depends on what the teams feel like. I'd not head there late unless it's a nice drive :)

The timetable says 5pm but it all depends on what the teams feel like. I'd not head there late unless it's a nice drive :)

Yeah learnt with last season- got there too late and just as the teams had started packing away, I think it was due to the rain. I'll head up earlier tomorrow.

If you don't mind me asking, who have you got media accreditation with ?

Last edited:
Cool ^

Well I went today and it was a total waste of time photography wise, I really need a longer lens, think I might speed up my purchase for the Sigma 150-600.

The lens I have is a 55-250. All I got today was catch fences, the problem with donington behind the fence is that you can't get that close to the fence, close enough anyway, to eliminate it... because there's those metal safety barriers before it about a metre or so back... so it's really difficult to get shots without the fence in, tried everything I could - AI Serve, widest open aperture etc. and I had more luck and some keepers last season at the qually but the weather was nice and Sunny then but more importantly I was able to get really close to the fence but that bit was blocked off today.

Some of the guys with 500-600 lenses were standing about 2 metres behind the fence and seemed happy enough so a longer lens must eliminate the fence a lot easier ?

Cool ^

Well I went today and it was a total waste of time photography wise, I really need a longer lens, think I might speed up my purchase for the Sigma 150-600.

The lens I have is a 55-250. All I got today was catch fences, the problem with donington behind the fence is that you can't get that close to the fence, close enough anyway, to eliminate it... because there's those metal safety barriers before it about a metre or so back... so it's really difficult to get shots without the fence in, tried everything I could - AI Serve, widest open aperture etc. and I had more luck and some keepers last season at the qually but the weather was nice and Sunny then but more importantly I was able to get really close to the fence but that bit was blocked off today.

Some of the guys with 500-600 lenses were standing about 2 metres behind the fence and seemed happy enough so a longer lens must eliminate the fence a lot easier ?

Tell me about it.. I was in a VIP Hospitality suite.. no fence in front.. took a stupid amount of photos (7DmkII will do 10fps!!) and have deleted a stupid amount.. and tose I've ended up with I'm not 100% about.

Using my Tamron f2.8 70-200 vc too!!

What setting should I be on?

I used Tv mode, Al Servo, ISO - Auto.
what do you guys use?

When I went to the Qualifying last year I use Sport Mode on my Camera as it was literally the first time I'd ever shot action or motorsport photography for that matter - so it was a stupidly high shutter and no AI Servo tracking etc....

BTCC Qualifying - Redgate by Joel Spencer, on Flickr

IMG_7312 by Joel Spencer, on Flickr

But after getting some comments on here about no conveyance of speed I went to the F1 at Silverstone the same year and took these:

British Formula 1 Grand Prix 2015 by Joel Spencer, on Flickr

British Formula 1 Grand Prix 2015 by Joel Spencer, on Flickr

The only real difference was turning AI Servo on, centre focus point and panning with a slower shutter. Hope this helps, oh and Silverstone was with a borrowed 100-400 mk1 Canon lens. All the EXIF datas on flickr.

@salsa-king what are you not finding acceptable with your shots?

A lot of it will come down to experience. The more you shoot the more you improve. Try new things and see what you like/enjoy.

Donnington is far from the best circuit to be shooting at. It's a nice enough place to watch racing but photographically speaking it can be a right royal PITA.

You'll soon grow out of panning. :LOL:

I think you've done pretty well for a first attempt. (am i right in thinking it was your first try?)

Your pic of Sam Tordoff is quite a nicely executed one. Only thing I'd do is crop the top tyre wall out. I'd perhaps have a go at cloning the white patch on the top rhs as it draws the eye a little. Also like the #37 shot on your Flickr stream. Don't be afraid to shoot wider though and also to try going slower. The 1/80 is pretty safe.

What do YOU think of them?

I don't think they are sharp enough for my liking (blurred on some).... but some are ok, the ones where the cars were going slower.. like in pit lane lol

I know it's not my kit. kit the kit user :(

I did try 1/80sec, ISO was in auto, is that right?

Personally i don't use auto ISO. There is no reason it wouldn't work though. I normally shoot aperture priority and adjust it to suit for what kind of shot i want. I'm guessing most people would use shutter priority though. (i am a bit weird...) I vary my shots as i would hate to come home with a memory card full of the same kinda stuff so it works fine for me.

You need more practice with your technique, you will improve with time and also going to a better track will help no end. Oulton Park is a great photographers track i found. You can get really close to the action with not a lot in the way.

Just out of curiosity, did you have the VC on or off?

VC, I think it was on.. I had a monopod too, but it has a swivel head on it so I could move up/down as required.

Back