Budget compact with good macro?

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, haven't posted for a bit but hoped someone could advise.
My Dad wants a new compact camera, but it needs to have a good macro facility.
He currently has a Ricoh Caplio R6/7 which has lasted really well, but it seems there is no current direct replacement.

So, any suggestions?
Absolute maximum budget is £200.
I was looking at used Sony RX100s on eBay as they are within budget and got good reviews even if it is 2/3 years old now.
Good idea?

Well, it's an outstanding camera but we could do with some more information on what it will be used for and what are the deal breakers. There is compromise in all compacts and it's useful to know, apart from macro, where your requirements and things you can't live with/without sit.

Panasonic G1 with a canon fd50mm macro and extension tubes. Great combo for macro and cheap!

Panasonic LX3 - can focus to about 1cm from the lens. I expect the newer versions (5&7) are just as good for macro if not better. Fantastic camera for the money and compact.

A mk1 RX100 is kind of within budget and will do excellent Macro. It has a very small MFD which is great.

Thanks for the replies and to answer the questions.
Other than macro, the current Ricoh is only used for 'general' photos. He pretty much uses it in point and shoot mode and flash when required, so doesn't need things like full manual control and raw etc.
Doesn't mean he doesn't want them but not a necessity.
The macro usage is mainly on small mechanical components such as inside vintage clocks or music boxes - he restores them so takes detailed photos before taking apart.

Panasonic G1 and lens is a bit too big and bulky for what he wants as I offered him my older Canon 350D. He likes the compactness of the Ricoh to just stick in a pocket if he goes out too.

A quick look suggests the LX models would be about right so I'll have a closer look at these too.
One of the reasons I looked at the RX100 Mk1 was the larger sensor which I thought might help with detail.

The Fuji X20 also has amazing macro functionality, minimum focus is pretty much zero, should be able to pick up within budget.

It's a great camera. Jpegs ooc are very good and difficult to replicate from RAW

Back