Budget Full Frame Sweet Spot

Name
Matt
Edit My Images
Yes
Evening all,

First post here as I've been recommended the forum from another in a member of.
I'm looking to buy into a full frame system, and am looking for opinions on the current sweet spot for budget full frames with regards to price/features and longevity. I've had a few dslrs in the past but am currently without one so I have nothing keeping me tied to Canon or Nikon.
The first project I have is to photograph 2 high end kitchens I'm currently making for a portfolio, so have decided to invest into a wide zoom. I've always been interested in tilt shift lenses so eventually I will invest in one and start learning, this is my main reason for wanting full frame.
Current contenders are canon 5d Classic and mk2 6d and Nikon d700 & d600. I have a budget of approx £1200 but will add slightly more if this nets me a better deal.

Thanks

D600 is fantastic and the 700 is no slouch but is getting on a bit now!

Interiors are all about lenses (and lighting) so I would start there and buy whatever body you then have the money for.

Personally I would avoid the 5D classic but anything from the D700 or 5D2 onwards are just spiffing.

Don't forget the lighting.

Thanks for all the replies. Got my eye on a canon 5d mk2 so will see what happens with that and then look out for a lens. Any opinions on differences between the 17-40 and 16-35 canon lenses?

Any opinions on differences between the 17-40 and 16-35 canon lenses?

I've just bought a 6D and this is a subject I'm very interested in :)

I have been using a Sigma 10-20 on my 7D but obviously it doesn't do to well on the 6D... I'd guess that the 17-40 outclasses the Sigma but the 16-35 f4 IS has got my wallet trembling :eek:

Any opinions on differences between the 17-40 and 16-35 canon lenses?
If you're comparing the 17-40 with the 16-35 f/2.8 Mk II, then there's really not much in it as far as image quality is concerned. The 16-35 is twice the size and twice the price, but that's because it goes to f/2.8. You don't need f/2.8 for interiors, so it has nothing to offer you and the 17-40 should be your preferred.

The 16-35 f/4, being a newer design, is optically superior. But having said that, I don't know whether it's much better at f/8 or f/11, because all half-decent lenses perform pretty well at that those sorts of apertures. (The improvements in modern lens design are mainly to the wide-open performance.) And since it's newer, you're not going to see so many used bargains around.

If I were you I'd be looking for a good used 17-40.

The 16-35 f/4, being a newer design, is optically superior. But having said that, I don't know whether it's much better at f/8 or f/11, because all half-decent lenses perform pretty well at that those sorts of apertures. (The improvements in modern lens design are mainly to the wide-open performance.) And since it's newer, you're not going to see so many used bargains around..

There is still a big difference even by f/11 with the new lens. I wouldn't touch 17-40 even with a barge pole now. The old 16-35mm was just as good (or just as bad) as 17-40... There is only one decent wideangle zoom lens out there.

a7 second hand + adapter
theres a couple of tilt shift adapters for it now, so you can tilt shift a nikor 14 24, or the new canon i guess

6d and Samyang 14mm is a great combo.

Won't cure the converging verticals though but you won't get a sharper UWA for less than this.

There is still a big difference even by f/11 with the new lens. I wouldn't touch 17-40 even with a barge pole now. The old 16-35mm was just as good (or just as bad) as 17-40... There is only one decent wideangle zoom lens out there.
That's interesting. The tests on photozone.de don't agree with your assessment. They suggest there's very little difference in resolution between the 17-40, 16-35/2.8 and 16-35/4 in the f/8 to f/11 range. (The 16-35/4 is clearly superior wide open, but there's no dispute about that.)
Sources: 17-40 test / 16-35/2.8 test / 16-35/4 test

Thanks for all the extra replies since my last visit. I've been let down on a couple of amazing deals on 5d3's but have found a steal of a price on a Nikon 16-35 so am now focusing more on the d6/7/800 debate

D600 and 700 are similar prices second hand! 600-700 quid! Sigma do a 10-20 3.5 which will work on fx

The Sigma 10-20 is a crop lens.

Although iirc Nikons can still use it, won't it be in crop mode or a round image using only part of the frame.

Last edited:
Reactions: ST4
They do a 3.5 version that will work on fx !

They do a 3.5 version that will work on fx !

Oh, don't know much about Nikon stuff but won't that be compromised at 10mm (heavy vignetting, heavy black border around the frame) as its still designed for a crop? Its definitely not an FF lens!

Last edited:
I was told it would fit and work as a full frame lens but just looked on sigma website and now can't back up that statement ! Sorry it looks like I'm wrong

I was told it would fit and work as a full frame lens but just looked on sigma website and now can't back up that statement ! Sorry it looks like I'm wrong
Yes, unfortunately. The widest non Fisheye FX lens for Nikon users is the Sigma 12-24mm. Canon users also have the Sigma 12-24mm available, but soon the new Canon 11-24mm will be the widest full frame lens. There aren't any 10mm lenses for full frame cameras, except fisheyes.

I always shoot landscapes at widest 14mm on crop anyway so 18mm ff would be enough anyway

Thanks for all the extra replies since my last visit. I've been let down on a couple of amazing deals on 5d3's but have found a steal of a price on a Nikon 16-35 so am now focusing more on the d6/7/800 debate

I have D610 and D800. Used D800 all day long, better controls, the big files allow for massive cropping. Nothing wrong with a D610 but a D800 is superior.

Oh I agree but second hand low shutter count in my budget hard to come by

My £'s worth.... D750 (y)

That definitely is the sweet spot as I see it.

The OP hasn't told us what he wants to shoot with it though. What you shoot is important when recommending a camera to someone.

To start with I will be photographing house interiors. I've made several high end kitchens and will be going back to photograph them for my new portfolio.
In September I am planning to start an extended degree in architecture and a part of that course is photography so I would like to be in the position of already having equipment I'm familiar with and can produce excellent results before I start.

D750 with a 12-24mm 2.8 then

Purely for budget reasons, I would suggest a D610 and a 24mm samyang tilt shift lens (which would allow for shifting and stitching). If budget was more accommodating a d750. I am not a Canon user, but understand the 5d Mk 2 to be excellent and Canons tilt shift lenses to be superb.

What about a lensbaby????

What about a lensbaby????

OMG those things are optically crap! For the love of bacon... please don't. (was gonna say for the love of god.. but I don't believe in god... and I have more reverence for bacon).

Purely for budget reasons, I would suggest a D610 and a 24mm samyang tilt shift lens (which would allow for shifting and stitching). If budget was more accommodating a d750. I am not a Canon user, but understand the 5d Mk 2 to be excellent and Canons tilt shift lenses to be superb.

If you look here:
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Samyang-24mm-f-3.5-Tilt-Shift-Lens-Review.aspx

there is a vast difference in quality in the lenses with the Samyang being noticeably less sharp than the Canon virtually all through the exposure range which would really impact on any architectural shots.

But the bad news is that the Canon TS E Tilt-shift lens is over twice the price of the Samyang.

You might be able to use the Samyang from f8 onwards with sharpening but personally I would definitely go with the Canon model if affordable or simply wait until I could afford it and use software to correct the leaning verticals etc.

Got to agree with that, if going grey it's within the budget.

Unfortunately although going grey can save quite a bit of money sometimes it can go wrong:

https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/5d-mk3-error-30.576995/#post-6744931

Having said that I have bought quite a lot of S/H cameras, lenses and accessories from the classifieds on here and have never had any problems with them - just something to consider - as long as you use a seller with good feedback.

Back