Budget lens for Nikon FX

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
No
Well as some of you know I have for myself a Nikon D750 and a 50mm 18 love them very much.

Funds not allowing me to get the lens I want at the moment due to other things that been attention. So so I mean time I am in the need of a lens in the region of 24 upward.. Or what ever...

Shame I need to buy one and waste money but need one for a few month till I am allowd to get the lens I am wanting..

Budget fx lens! Didn't know there was such a thing

Samyang 14mm is great mf lens

That was my aim to be honest but yesterday I struggled in town to get the image on so needed to go a bit wider..

I was hoping this is all I needed has anyone out there just manage with one lens?

Price hmm reasonably low of possible lol my planned lens when I can is the the Nikon 24-70

Depends what you generally photograph

What about a 28-70 sigma! Cheap

Portraits landscape and city scape

Ignore this

Last edited:
?

Last edited:
Nikon 18-35 might suit, it's surprisingly good for the price (especially used).

Last edited:
Well as some of you know I have for myself a Nikon D750 and a 50mm 18 love them very much.

Funds not allowing me to get the lens I want at the moment due to other things that been attention. So so I mean time I am in the need of a lens in the region of 24 upward.. Or what ever...

Shame I need to buy one and waste money but need one for a few month till I am allowd to get the lens I am wanting..

I loved my Nikon 24mm f2.8D on the 24mp D600 but it didn't seem up to it the same with the 36mp sensor of the D800, I'd highly recommend it as a walkaround though, the Nikon 35mm f2 D lens is also a cracker considering it can be had for less than £200 used, ditto for the Nikon 85mm f1.8D.

Buying used also means than when you get funds for the lens you want it should be easy enough to sell on without losing much cash.

I do plan by 2nd btw. Just off see if I can find any of those

Thank guys

For some really cheap Nikon lenses, some of the older D lenses can tie you over for the meantime. Nikon examples > 28-105, 24-50, 28-85, 35-70 etc............. Of the older Sigma's the 24-60 f2.8 is reported to be the best. I have the Sigma 28-70 f2.8-4 and don't rate it that much, you really need to stop it down to get anything decent from it. Apart from the current Sigma I have owned all of the above and they have perfromed well, the 28-105 has a classic following but I prefered the 28-85 & 24-50.

Some examples.

Sigma 24-60 >https://www.flickr.com/groups/sigma24-60/pool/
28-85 > https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/mini-review-£50-nikon-28-85-f-3-5-4-5.436628/
24-50 > http://mir.SPAM/rb/photography/companies/nikon/nikkoresources/AFNikkor/AF2450mm/index.htm

Last edited:
What's your budget? If it's really really low then you could always use your 50 for portraits and stick a DX lens on it. If it's about £300 then you can often find some great second hand Tokina FX lenses, something like the 20-35mm f/2.8 or the 17-35 f/4 would be ideal. The latter has the least amount of distortion of a lens of that type.

Why I forgot to mentioned it in my earlier post, but the best lens for the bucks has to be the Tamron 28-75mm f2.8. You can get these for around £230 if going grey and about £330 if buying UK. Second hand prices seem to be around the £150 > £200 mark depending on condition.

Some of the pros use them on here and there's a comment from @Gary Coyle, (I think) that the lens is 90% of the Nikon 24-70 f2.8 @ 30% of the price. I have also owned this lens and again, it's an excellent performer. Some people have owned the non AF motor one which they prefer, but mine was the one with motor. @Sir SR is also a user and it maybe worth having a look at his portrait photos on here to see the results or his Flickr stream.

New One > http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tamron-28-75mm-Aspherical-Macro-Canon/dp/B0000V6DE6

Hmm that sounds good and if it perform good I may just stick with it. Need see how it feels

What AF like on it u know?

A used Tamron 28-75mm is a no brainer and if you dont need f/2.8 the Tamron 24-135mm is superb

Would you choose these over the nikons. What camera u used them on pls. Do they AF quick and quiet?

Trying find Flickr

I found it more than fast enough for me on a D7000, it shouldn't pose any problems on the D750, the AF is lightning on that body. Perhaps Gary will answer better as he has also owned the Nikon 24-70mm I believe.

Have a look at Sir SR pool for an idea of the capabilities of the lens. Should be available via his profile.

Flickr > https://www.flickr.com/groups/tamron2875mm/pool/

Last edited:
Would you choose these over the nikons. What camera u used them on pls. Do they AF quick and quiet?

Trying find Flickr
I did and would again choose them over Nikons, used on D3, D3S, D4, D600, D700, D800, D750, flawless images, the 24-135mm is no speed freak but its AF is deadly accurate but a little noisy, depends if you got a spare £1200 or £200

another if you dont need f/2.8 is the Nikon 24-85mm VR for around £250, lovely and sharp

Gary how you fair the tam with the Nikon as the nikon is the lens I though about but it hell a lot more

Can't find that tamron 24-135. But I think I prefer the 28-75.

You any samples images pls

This is my staple portrait lens. I'm on Flickr and a lot of my images are with the 28-75. Same user name on Flickr.

S
Wow impressive and for £300

Guess I gotta get over looking for lovely looking lens lol

Wow impressive and for £300

Guess I gotta get over looking for lovely looking lens lol

Yeah. I had the bim version first then got the non built in motor version soon after. The non bim was quicker in the af department.

I have both and have had a 28-70 Nikon. IQ is damned near as good.

I use the Tamron 24-135mm and find it excellent. It's the only non-Nikon lens I have and it won't be for sale any time soon.

Yeah. I had the bim version first then got the non built in motor version soon after. The non bim was quicker in the af department.
I won't neec built in motor will I so which ones I need to get.

I have a Tamron 24-135mm and it was my favourite lens on my F80 (which I also still have). I'm not using it so if you were to put a request in the 'Wanted' section.......

The old kit lens for things like the F65 wasn't a stellar performer but is FF and is cheap - the 28-80 Nikkor. About £70 from a dealer with a warranty.

Back