Budget lighting setup.

Name
Jeff Robjent
Edit My Images
Yes
Hey folks - I have a 350d and want to try my hand at some off camera lighting, I've done a lot of reading up but it still seems to be a bit of a minefield :LOL:

I have established the Cactus PT04 seems like a good bargain buy, but do I need the v2 or the v2s?

Just a bit stuck on what flash to get? Cheap as possible and it doesnt need to have any auto settings. Aslong as it works with the cactus' :)

Thanks

Jeff

p.s - if anyones selling anything that may be of interest, please get in touch.

im in the same boat as you really, I have some PT04's on the way and a 400D
From what I can tell, getting a flash that has manual settings is a must. That way you can control the light and have it consistant instead of letting the camera choose whats best.
By manual I mean you can have 1/1 (full power) 1/2, 1/4, 1/8 and so on.
Im trying to get something that goes down to 1/64th power so something like the canon speedlight 420/430.
Sigma also do some good flashes that are as good as the Canon 580EX (or so im told)

You will also need a light stand, umbrella mount and umbrella. These are on ebay, im going to try and get a white shoot through 30"+ umbrella. They are cheap as chips in eBay.

Hopefully other people will be able to give yo some examples of cheap flashes that have manual settings :)

Back