Budget studio setup

Edit My Images
Yes
You may have already seen this if your a regular at the Strobist blog. But this is a great cheapo setup.......http://www.raydobbins.com/photosetup.htm

photo7.jpg

How do you think I could acheive this? I'm going to check out my local art shop, jewsons, mkm to get this stuff together. Would these work as light sources?

thanks

Hmm, the paper backdrop might be more expensive than you think. I don't know, depends how much you expected to pay.

It's doable though, just visit a few places until you find what you need. As regards the lights, they should work although you'll need to change the bulbs for daylight bulbs to avoid the yellow-ish tinge that normal halogen bulbs produce :)

Hmm, the paper backdrop might be more expensive than you think. I don't know, depends how much you expected to pay.

It's doable though, just visit a few places until you find what you need. As regards the lights, they should work although you'll need to change the bulbs for daylight bulbs to avoid the yellow-ish tinge that normal halogen bulbs produce :)

You won't need to change the bulbs if you're shooting on digital and all daylight is excluded.

This type of setup is a pretty poor substitute for real lighting though, it's a bit like a light tent - soft diffused light with no character, nothing to make the subject look interesting

I'm jumping on the side of those who say 'rental studio'. I've paid £50 for 2 hours and for that I get a massive range of backgrounds, furniture, 4 Elinchrom heads on ceiling system, and the owner even leant me his IR trigger and meter on Sunday. Also means you won't have to find space to set it up and store it!

I'm with Chris... I hire studios for £15 to £25 an hr and have very little setting up to do..

I have tried moving the sofa around and setup a 3m paper roll on background system then setup 2 studio strobes and me camera tripod at the other end but the wife keeps complaining that she can't see the tv !!! ;)

Back