Build a Camera Part by Part - The Modula Future

Edit My Images
Yes
I'm curious to know if anyone here has had any experience with modular cameras or if you've heard of any models currently on the market. It seems like a fascinating idea, giving photographers the ability to tailor their gear to specific needs. Imagine easily swapping out sensors for different shooting conditions or upgrading your camera without having to buy an entirely new one! Thoughts?

You mean like the cell phone idea that never took off?

Yes, the modular phone is one example where it has struggled to take off (but is still improving) but there are many examples of where modularity has been successful such as desktop computers. I was wondering if anyone knew any examples in photography ( obviously not just cameras with detachable lenses)

It sounds like a neat idea, but in practice the level of integration between the various components of a digital camera is too high to make this feasible.
Where things can be easily swapped about - lens, memory cards, battery, for example, they already can be - but everything else is interlinked.

I think the Ricoh GXR was similar to what you're asking. No experience with it though!

How interchangeable are all the backs, 'finders etc. from Hasselblad?

How interchangeable are all the backs, 'finders etc. from Hasselblad?
Very.

The only components that have limited interoperability are the lenses. Some of the Kiev backs and finders will work with the Hasselblad bodies as well, as shown by my 500C with its Kiev TTL finder...

Hasselblad on Manfroto 222.JPG

Steve at Chroma cameras has a modular system for film, utilising various different size backs and obviously you can mount different lens/shutter combinations on the helicoid. Fairly standard stuff in LF film though.

In practise this concept will never work as the engineering involved would mean the product would be very expensive, and it has a very limit, and niche market.
I would like an option to upgrade an EVF of a camera to a high resolution in the near future, or upgrade SD card slots with CFexpress, increase memory of the buffer. All the small issues that would prolong the life of a medium entry camera.
However manufactures will want you to trade in and upgrade to the newer model or high grade model.

I would like an option to upgrade an EVF of a camera to a high resolution in the near future...
That one facility was provided for certain Olympus and Panasonic cameras, by making the EVF an optional extra. Olympus have gone through 3 generations of EVF, which I think are all compatible with each other.

I believe some other manufacturers have also made optional EVFs available for certain models.

Back