Build quality of lenses

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
No
i was looking in jessops the other day handling a few cameras (pentax, nikon, olympus etc) is it just me or is the Build quality of the lenses shocking, my old Olympus lens are built really well heavery mind but they can take a knock and they wernt specials, theyre just the standard lens that came with the camera, has anyone else thought this?? what are you opinons??

build quality of pro lenses is superb - but at a price - you get what you pay for

i was looking in jessops the other day handling a few cameras (pentax, nikon, olympus etc) is it just me or is the Build quality of the lenses shocking, my old Olympus lens are built really well heavery mind but they can take a knock and they wernt specials, theyre just the standard lens that came with the camera, has anyone else thought this?? what are you opinons??

Some are and so are some cameras.

I don't like the feel of flimsy kit one bit.

Consumer lenses are built down to a price, you want heavy = reliable you either buy pro glass, or visit Boris.....

boris-bullet-dodger-also-the-blade-rm-eng.jpg

:LOL:

Consumer lenses are built down to a price, you want heavy = reliable you either buy pro glass, or visit Boris.....

boris-bullet-dodger-also-the-blade-rm-eng.jpg

:LOL:

"Strangely ironic your lens got you into all this trouble."
With apologies to Bullet Tooth Tony.

Yeah don't be caught trying to use a lens with "replica" written on the side of it :D

Yes, indeed:

the fact that you've got "Canon" written down the side of your lenses...and the fact that I've got "Nikkor point five O", written down the side of mine... Should precipitate your balls into shrinking, along with your presence

:D

Lol back on topic XD, i recently got a pretty cheap sigma 28-70 2.8 for i think 260ish? and the build quality is superb considering its not exactly a pro lens

If you want quality, try a M42 mount Takumar lens.

Weighty with lovely metal focus and aperture rings and silky smooth movement.

I recently picked up an old nikon 300mm F4 lens and it feels bulletproof! my 18-200mm would stand no chance in a fight! :)

I recently picked up an old nikon 300mm F4 lens and it feels bulletproof! my 18-200mm would stand no chance in a fight! :)

Yip, I had one and a few other prime nikkors. They all had that feel.

Yip, I had one and a few other prime nikkors. They all had that feel.

the feel that you could beat someone to death with one and then use it for a shoot?

If you want quality build then you have to go with the "pro" lenses. And even modern Canon L series lenses ( can't speak for others) don't feel anywhere near as good as the Zeiss and Leica lenses I used twenty odd years ago.

Optically modern consumer lenses and modern multi coatings can be superb, and I'm sure that figures will show that they out perform earlier lenses. But I'm afraid the bean counters have paired down the quality of the build and it does show. Even on the professional stuff, it may well perform better but just doesn't give that feeling of sheer quality when you pick one up.

I reckon I could quite easily reduce an 18-200 VR to powder by battering it with a 300mm f/4 without leaving a mark on the 300.

Anyone want to lend me their 18-200 and I'll test the theory :LOL:

I reckon I could quite easily reduce an 18-200 VR to powder by battering it with a 300mm f/4 without leaving a mark on the 300.

Anyone want to lend me their 18-200 and I'll test the theory :LOL:

I picked up a used 28-105 f3.5-f4.5D Nikkor, which looked like it had been calibrated with a cold chisel .... sharp as a tack.

I have the old 35-70 f2.8, 180 f2.8 and 85 f1.4 now those are proper lenses built to survive in war zones :D

Back