Bulb for studio light

Name
katie sykes
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all

Newbie here! someone gave me an EXCELLA PRISMA studio light. I need a bulb. I've tried to fin out which bulb is suitable but cant find any info. Basically, can I use any screw bulb? or is there special bulbs?!

If so, how many watts please?

Thanks so much
Katie

It’s not a very common flash (I doubt anyone here has one), what’s the instruction manual say?

We could guess, but it’d likely be dependent on the power of the flash, bigger well cooled flashes have more powerful modelling lamps.

This is an Excella Prisma 250W modelling bulb (unavailable)

..and here's a pack of two bulbs of the same spec

But! There are also listings for Excella 500 Joule flash heads that only have 60 Watt modelling bulbs.

Tbh - I'd stick one of these LED corn bulbs in as they're only 12 Watts (so no danger of overheating the fitting), but with the light output of a 120 Watt incandescent. Plus the colour temp will be better match for the flash tube too.

Is there any info on the bulb itself?, they something have writing around the brass base. Failing that I'd play safe and go with Scooters advise above.

Tbh - I'd stick one of these LED corn bulbs in as they're only 12 Watts (so no danger of overheating the fitting), but with the light output of a 120 Watt incandescent. Plus the colour temp will be better match for the flash tube too.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/12W-Incand...0+watt+e27+modelling+lamp,aps,61&sr=8-55&th=1

only slight issue with that is that they're non-dimmable - depends on the flash head I guess, but most i've used tend to (at least optionally) dim the modeling lamps in proportion to the flash intensity setting...

This is what makes TP my favourite website the members and moderators are all so helpful ! :)(y)

Two cautions. What bulb is compatible might depend on the dimming circuitry in the head. This might rule out leds even those badged as 'dimmable'.

Another thing is that some bulbs have a double glass envelope which makes them safer if a hot bulb bursts especially if it's in a softbox etc.

It might be worth trying something like an Osram Halolux Ceram 150W - the wattage is guesswork. I've used these successfully in Elinchrom heads. Im assuming 240V and E27.

And here's a website that seems to suggest 250W - http://www.fotostudiopro.nl/excella-studioflitsset-prisma-500. And there is a Halolux in that wattage ...

Last edited:
only slight issue with that is that they're non-dimmable - depends on the flash head I guess, but most i've used tend to (at least optionally) dim the modeling lamps in proportion to the flash intensity setting...
Fair point, but personally I've never found any need to dim a modelling lamp, most of which aren't even bright enough to give a good indication of where the shadows will fall. My usual 'rule' is to have the modelling lamp on (at full power) on the key light, and off for any other lights.

Fair point, but personally I've never found any need to dim a modelling lamp, most of which aren't even bright enough to give a good indication of where the shadows will fall. My usual 'rule' is to have the modelling lamp on (at full power) on the key light, and off for any other lights.
Agreed - but being a bit non-tech savvy when it comes to stuff like LED's I was more concerned that the wrong setting on the flash head (i.e. dimming) might just "release the magic smoke" from the leds or worse... was more of a heads up for the cleverer people on here than me to chime in to be honest...

Agreed - but being a bit non-tech savvy when it comes to stuff like LED's I was more concerned that the wrong setting on the flash head (i.e. dimming) might just "release the magic smoke" from the leds or worse... was more of a heads up for the cleverer people on here than me to chime in to be honest...
I think that if you try to dim a non dimmable led, they just flicker annoyingly rather than anything more ‘dramatic’.

But there ‘could’ be a current sensor on the circuit which would cut the power if it felt there wasn’t a lamp attached (more common on lower voltage lights), which can get confused by the lack of draw from the led.

Last edited:
The head in question looks to be designed for a halogen modelling lamp, so I'd stick with that. The dimming circuitry for leds is different.

Back