Bulbs for Godox strobes

Edit My Images
No
Hey folks. Does anyone work with the Godox QS-400 or QT-400 lights? Looking to see what they are like and if replacement bulbs can be got for them? I know modeling bulbs can as they are standard fit but flash tubes? Or does the bowens flash tubes fit the same as the hoods? Any info on times lights would be greatly appreciated. (First time buyer and user of studio strobes, normally use flash guns)

It's unusual to have to replace a tube, all I'll say is this...
If you're really concerned about what might go wrong, buy from Lencarta, pay the extra for the peace of mind.

Flash tubes are model-specific, though I'd be surprised if there's any problem getting Godox replacements, and equally surprised if you ever needed one - flash tubes last pretty much for ever. Godox QS and QT heads are a bit different* - check what you need.

Scroll down for other threads on getting into studio flash.

*QT uses IGBT power control - the main advantage is very fast flash durations for freezing movement. They're also more expensive.

Last edited:
It's unusual to have to replace a tube, all I'll say is this...
If you're really concerned about what might go wrong, buy from Lencarta, pay the extra for the peace of mind.
Thanks for the input, never heard of them before, their prices look good as does their warranty. Good to know about bulbs rarely needing replaced. Don't have a club with studio strobes.

Flash tubes are model-specific, though I'd be surprised if there's any problem getting Godox replacements, and equally surprised if you ever needed one - flash tubes last pretty much for ever. Godox QS and QT heads are a bit different* - check what you need.

Scroll down for other threads on getting into studio flash.

*QT uses IGBT power control - the main advantage is very fast flash durations for freezing movement. They're also more expensive.
I wont need fast flashes for whats im using it for, photo every 5-8 seconds perhaps in a succession of 3 then rest for about 3-5 mins if nor more. So perhaps a 300w would probabbly do for what I need and I see the Lencarta SmartFlash 3 300w is down in price with 3 year warranty. Thanks to Phil pointing me to them. :)

Thanks for the input, never heard of them before, their prices look good as does their warranty. Good to know about bulbs rarely needing replaced. Don't have a club with studio strobes.

Have a read through this section, there's some brilliant information here.

And Lencarta after sales is as good as it gets.

But their pre sales help is also amazing. Any advice you need, just pick up the phone.

I wont need fast flashes for whats im using it for, photo every 5-8 seconds perhaps in a succession of 3 then rest for about 3-5 mins if nor more. So perhaps a 300w would probabbly do for what I need and I see the Lencarta SmartFlash 3 300w is down in price with 3 year warranty. Thanks to Phil pointing me to them. :)

Flash duration is the time the flash tube is actually putting out light. It can vary a lot and is effectively your shutter speed. Recycle time is how long the unit takes to recharge between flashes. 300Ws is the power output (brightness).

Lencarta SmartFlash is a very good value choice for most folks getting into home portraiture, though your needs sound like they may be different. What are you wanting to do?

Flash duration is the time the flash tube is actually putting out light. It can vary a lot and is effectively your shutter speed. Recycle time is how long the unit takes to recharge between flashes. 300Ws is the power output (brightness).

Lencarta SmartFlash is a very good value choice for most folks getting into home portraiture, though your needs sound like they may be different. What are you wanting to do?

A small DIY photobooth, at the moment Its using LED lights to light up subjects and a SB-900 flash with umbrella which is working at the minute but i would like a little more power than the flash gun and would like to do away with the led lights in my diy booth box. So i was thinking that a studio strobe would suit my needs better.

If you're drawn in by the Godox price point, (as I was) then you may also want to look at Pixapro, Essential photo. they are a great company. Who actually use godox for their product, opening. That way you get a good price point and the security of warranty, should you need it. I have a godox Qt and a pixapro Kino. No problems for me as of yet. hope that helps

A small DIY photobooth, at the moment Its using LED lights to light up subjects and a SB-900 flash with umbrella which is working at the minute but i would like a little more power than the flash gun and would like to do away with the led lights in my diy booth box. So i was thinking that a studio strobe would suit my needs better.

SmartFlash is about 3x the power of an SB900, say a stop or two, but at mid-range settings it should give you plenty of light and recycle way faster. The modelling lamp could replace the LED as a working light for posing etc, though one thing about the SmartFlash is it has an irritating 'feature' where the modelling lamp switches off while the unit is recycling/recharging. It's supposed to be helpful, and it's only off for a very short time at lower power settings, but I really don't appreciate that kind of help and find it distracting for portrait sessions. I don't know if you can disable it on the newer SmartFlash-3, or if it might be an issue for your application.

Re warranty, this is a contentious topic ATM. What does the warranty actually mean in practise if you need something fixed, either in or out of warranty? Lencarta has a workshop on site with trained technicians and spares. AFAIK, nobody else has that in the UK for Godox, or any other Chinese brand for that matter. It's a major consideration, not that studio flash equipment is unreliable (it's usually very dependable) but if a stand topples over (very common outdoors) or you smash something against a door while lugging it around, then sending the thing off to China for an undisclosed period, at possible substantial cost, is not an appealing option for me.

Yes, the modelling lamp switching off during recycling, and also switching off completely every 2 1/2 hours of so of use IS a 'benefit' too far IMO. But, lencarta is talking to the factory about it, no promises but it's very possible that there is a built in override, their Mandarin-speaker is trying to get answers.

SmartFlash is about 3x the power of an SB900, say a stop or two, but at mid-range settings it should give you plenty of light and recycle way faster. The modelling lamp could replace the LED as a working light for posing etc, though one thing about the SmartFlash is it has an irritating 'feature' where the modelling lamp switches off while the unit is recycling/recharging. It's supposed to be helpful, and it's only off for a very short time at lower power settings, but I really don't appreciate that kind of help and find it distracting for portrait sessions. I don't know if you can disable it on the newer SmartFlash-3, or if it might be an issue for your application.

Re warranty, this is a contentious topic ATM. What does the warranty actually mean in practise if you need something fixed, either in or out of warranty? Lencarta has a workshop on site with trained technicians and spares. AFAIK, nobody else has that in the UK for Godox, or any other Chinese brand for that matter. It's a major consideration, not that studio flash equipment is unreliable (it's usually very dependable) but if a stand topples over (very common outdoors) or you smash something against a door while lugging it around, then sending the thing off to China for an undisclosed period, at possible substantial cost, is not an appealing option for me.
Thanks for the info, that does help me alot. It wont be used very often, perhaps 1 booth session a month perhaps.

Yes, the modelling lamp switching off during recycling, and also switching off completely every 2 1/2 hours of so of use IS a 'benefit' too far IMO. But, lencarta is talking to the factory about it, no promises but it's very possible that there is a built in override, their Mandarin-speaker is trying to get answers.

If the light turns off every 2 hours to 2.5 hours of continuous use, can you manually turn the light off and back on to reset this or is there a thermal cutout type thing?

Thanks for the info, that does help me alot. It wont be used very often, perhaps 1 booth session a month perhaps.

If the light turns off every 2 hours to 2.5 hours of continuous use, can you manually turn the light off and back on to reset this or is there a thermal cutout type thing?
Not a problem, just switch it off and on again.

The point of having spare flash tubes is if one goes pop on a job. As good as Lencarta may be, I doubt they'll be on-site with a new bulb in two minutes if you need one. ;)

As Steven says, you can buy the tubes from various places, and pop them in yourself.

The point of having spare flash tubes is if one goes pop on a job. As good as Lencarta may be, I doubt they'll be on-site with a new bulb in two minutes if you need one. ;)

As Steven says, you can buy the tubes from various places, and pop them in yourself.

Thanks mate, yea I'm a stickler for having a spare of everything. Spoke to Lencarta and they are really easy to deal with so went for the Smart 3 as my first studio strobe. I also think I'm going to buy a spare flash bulb from them down the line but for now ill just be extra careful with it lol.

Thanks everyone for your help. Very much appreciated.

Thanks mate, yea I'm a stickler for having a spare of everything. Spoke to Lencarta and they are really easy to deal with so went for the Smart 3 as my first studio strobe. I also think I'm going to buy a spare flash bulb from them down the line but for now ill just be extra careful with it lol.

My Bowens that I bought over 20 years ago are still on the first flash tube (have 5 heads never replaced a flash tube) but have replaced a number of modelling bulbs, also had 2 heads repaired because they were knocked over, flash tubes were fine - better to have a spare head than a spare tube IMHO

Mike

If you're running any kind of professional service, guaranteed to deliver, then back-ups are essential. I wouldn't bother with a spare flash tube - just get a whole spare unit. That's total back-up, so easy, and not really that much money in this case.

Edit: as Mike said ;)

Last edited:
If you're running any kind of professional service, guaranteed to deliver, then back-ups are essential. I wouldn't bother with a spare flash tube - just get a whole spare unit. That's total back-up, so easy, and not really that much money in this case.

Edit: as Mike said ;)
Thanks guys, yea thats my plan to get another light, just want to make sure this one will do my job first before i invest to much money, it was delivered yesterday and never had any time to look much at it yet but if its as you guys say then it will do me great.

Back