Bulk Film Loader help

Name
Nick
Edit My Images
Yes
I have acquired a Watson bulk film loader, of course I have no instructions but have surfed t'interweb and think I've got it sorted but the guides suggest that there should be a spindle that fits in the centre of the bulk film roll, this I don't have.

Is this imperative? Or will the roll of HP5 I have need one or will it have a spindle in the centre anyway?

It's probably 20 years since I used one of these and can't remember whether my old one had a spindle or not.

The last thing I want to do is waste 17m meters of film

You need the spindle - the roll won't have one in it. If you're in a darkroom then you can load film onto an empty cassette quite easily without the film loader - number of frames will be a bit hit & miss! I've done it many times in a changing bag.

You need the spindle - the roll won't have one in it. If you're in a darkroom then you can load film onto an empty cassette quite easily without the film loader - number of frames will be a bit hit & miss! I've done it many times in a changing bag.

Damn:bang: What happens if I don't use a spindle, will it just flop around in the loader and scratch the film?

It will flop around so you might/probably get some scratches. you could always bodge something up to take it's place.

Here's a link for the actual Watson instructions.

You can see the spindle in it to give you an idea of what you need.

It will flop around so you might/probably get some scratches. you could always bodge something up to take it's place.

Here's a link for the actual Watson instructions.

You can see the spindle in it to give you an idea of what you need.

I'm happy to bodge something but I need to know sizes, has anyone got one they could measure for me?

I have acquired a Watson bulk film loader, of course I have no instructions but have surfed t'interweb and think I've got it sorted but the guides suggest that there should be a spindle that fits in the centre of the bulk film roll, this I don't have.

Is this imperative? Or will the roll of HP5 I have need one or will it have a spindle in the centre anyway?

It's probably 20 years since I used one of these and can't remember whether my old one had a spindle or not.

The last thing I want to do is waste 17m meters of film

Follow the instructions for loading carefully, I forgot how to use mine and got this:-

70-210macro-1.jpg

I've just had a quick look for mine but it's been so long I don't know where it is or even if I still have it. Maybe someone else can.

You've got everything you need for the measurements:

Height - measure inside the loader film chamber, it just goes from one side to the other. The inner spindle bits - again nothing critical, it just needs to trap in the locating holes in the chamber.

Outside diameter of spindle - open up film roll in a darkroom and draw through the centre to get rough measurement. IIRC the roll won't unravel as it's free end is taped shut.

Last edited:
***Looks like you forgot to open the light trap!***

Indeed.

Thanks for all the help and advice, I've bitten the bullet and loaded the film and it seems that HP5 only has a narrow hole so the small spindle fits very well.

Unfortunately, despite reading Brian's post about forgetting to open the light trap, I managed to do just that:bang:

I did realise halfway through and it'll be just used as a test roll so shouldn't be too disastrous :bonk:

Back